Likely Oxidation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDW81

I make wort, the yeast make it beer.
Reaction score
I'm a little concerned I may have inadvertently oxidised my still fermenting ESB.

Whilst doing some arranging of things around my fermenter I accidently gave it a good knock and the liquid inside got a good shaking up. The wort had been fermenting for a good 6 days.

While I'm very happy I didn't spill 21L of beer on my floor I am a little worried said agitation may have added some unwanted O2 into the mix.

Need I be concerned, or will the cap of CO2, which would have been occupying the space between the beer and the fermenter lid, have saved the day?

Cheers,

JW.

I wouldn't be too concerned. I usually move my fermenters between fridge and freezer once or twice during fermentation. They don't get "shaken" but the do get a bit "stirred" when being moved. Hasn't caused any problems yet.

Crikey, you must be stressing out. This is the most serious brewing problem I have read for yonks. Next time you could wrap your fermenter in cotton wool.

Not stressed, just concerned.

I may be a touch overcareful when it comes to my brewing, but I figure the more I care I take the better the end product will be.

Call it careful, call it anal I am still yet to have a failure....(touch wood)

You've carbon dioxidated your beer if you have shaken the fermenter. There's no oxygen in your fermenter unless you're doing it wrong.

Unless you picked it up and shook it for a few minutes, your beer will be fine.

I may be a touch overcareful when it comes to my brewing, but I figure the more I care I take the better the end product will be.

In this case,you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Unless you picked it up and shook it for a few minutes, your beer will be fine.

not with my piss ant little arms. I can barely pick up the bloody fermenter let alone give it a good shakin'

Still plenty of yeast around looking for a trace of O2 to scavange at. Also, if you have an airlock, no O2 will get it anyway.

You would have to grab a couple of mates, open your fermenter and fill it with o2 and then shake the absolute shit out of your beer and then you'd have something to worry about, and that would be if you bottled it and left it for long term storage, which by then the beer would have reacted with your cheap coopers crown seals and the beer tastes like sucking on a steelo.

I know a lot of AHB members post the same old regurgitated shit on here, that they read on here, ad nauseam, but Silo Ted, to a degree is right.
There's being careful, there's being anal, and then there's just people who have been mis-informed due to reading something, somewhere on an internet forum that's been regurgitated by 100 other people before the poster.
Have a read of this:
http://paws.kettering.edu/~jhuggins/humor/banana.html

The same applies here, everyone spouts the same old regurgitated shit on the forum that they read on the forum, but no-one really knows why or how relevant it is to the homebrewer as compared to the commercial brewers.

Honestly, if you're shitting your pants because you knocked your fermenter over, then really, you have been mis-informed by an over exaggeration of a scenario, or brewing is just not for you.
If the latter, then maybe take up a new hobby, something like Prozac, or Valium, or methadone.

If the former, don't believe everything you read on an internet forum and cross-check your facts.

Thats not to say there isn't an element of truth in avoiding o2 getting into your fermented beer, sure, try to avoid it.
But if you do knock it over as you describe, you've got about as much chance of me breaking into your house, dropping my pants and backing one out into your fermenter and then running around wiping my knob on your glasses while your sleeping, as you do of any detectable oxidation of your beer.

p.s. hehehe 'anal'

BF

then there's just people who have been mis-informed due to reading something, somewhere on an internet forum that's been regurgitated by 100 other people before the poster.

This seems to describe 90% of people here. Just watch every newbie brewer, by the time he gets to 100 posts, he's starting to GIVE information. I mean, for ****'s sake, don't vomit on the craft, people. Youre not experts after 10 brews, so shut the **** up nd read some books, instead of internet rhetoric. If you don't understand the science, that's fine but don't come off sounding like you're some sort of ******* brew genius.

You would have to grab a couple of mates, open your fermenter and fill it with o2 and then shake the absolute shit out of your beer and then you'd have something to worry about, and that would be if you bottled it and left it for long term storage, which by then the beer would have reacted with your cheap coopers crown seals and the beer tastes like sucking on a steelo.

I know a lot of AHB members post the same old regurgitated shit on here, that they read on here, ad nauseam, but Silo Ted, to a degree is right.
There's being careful, there's being anal, and then there's just people who have been mis-informed due to reading something, somewhere on an internet forum that's been regurgitated by 100 other people before the poster.
Have a read of this:
http://paws.kettering.edu/~jhuggins/humor/banana.html

The same applies here, everyone spouts the same old regurgitated shit on the forum that they read on the forum, but no-one really knows why or how relevant it is to the homebrewer as compared to the commercial brewers.

Honestly, if you're shitting your pants because you knocked your fermenter over, then really, you have been mis-informed by an over exaggeration of a scenario, or brewing is just not for you.
If the latter, then maybe take up a new hobby, something like Prozac, or Valium, or methadone.

If the former, don't believe everything you read on an internet forum and cross-check your facts.

Thats not to say there isn't an element of truth in avoiding o2 getting into your fermented beer, sure, try to avoid it.
But if you do knock it over as you describe, you've got about as much chance of me breaking into your house, dropping my pants and backing one out into your fermenter and then running around wiping my knob on your glasses while your sleeping, as you do of any detectable oxidation of your beer.

p.s. hehehe 'anal'

BF

I think pant shitting would be an over exaggeration. It was a concern yes, but not pants soiling event.

You're right, there is plenty of information our there which can lead one up the garden path which is why I do try to cross-check everything I read. Where my worries a little excessive in this case, probably, but one doesn't learn if one doesn't ask.

I figure it is better to ask to odd "stupid" question of people more experienced than I (and risk looking like a dick head in the process) than end up as just another monkey who does something for no good reason. I have found forums to be both very informative and full of bollocks. The more brewing experience I get, the more I am able to distinguish between the two.

I appreciate the honest and frank feedback (and the piss funny analogy).

Cheers,

JW

p.s. I've never used cheap coopers crown seals.

siloted and BF are right that people not knowing stuff try to help. I to do it but usually only when no one answers and do say to wait for better people to answer. I found most of the older ones that do know there stuff do not post anymore some for that reason some just over the bitching that goes on and other reasons to I am sure.

This seems to describe 90% of people here. Just watch every newbie brewer, by the time he gets to 100 posts, he's starting to GIVE information. I mean, for ****'s sake, don't vomit on the craft, people. Youre not experts after 10 brews, so shut the **** up nd read some books, instead of internet rhetoric. If you don't understand the science, that's fine but don't come off sounding like you're some sort of ******* brew genius.
WTF has amount of posts got to do with knowledge?

Latest posts

Back