Likely Oxidation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think pant shitting would be an over exaggeration. It was a concern yes, but not pants soiling event.

You're right, there is plenty of information our there which can lead one up the garden path which is why I do try to cross-check everything I read. Where my worries a little excessive in this case, probably, but one doesn't learn if one doesn't ask.

I figure it is better to ask to odd "stupid" question of people more experienced than I (and risk looking like a dick head in the process) than end up as just another monkey who does something for no good reason. I have found forums to be both very informative and full of bollocks. The more brewing experience I get, the more I am able to distinguish between the two.

I appreciate the honest and frank feedback (and the piss funny analogy).

Cheers,

JW

p.s. I've never used cheap coopers crown seals.

Oh, there's no such thing as a stupid question and I apologise if I made you feel like a dickhead. Unfortunately, that's just my way.
And if it makes you feel any better, go through some of my old posts from years ago. I read them now and even I shake my head at how much of a dickhead i was.

My issue was that obviously you had been informed that getting any oxygen into a fermented beer will make it oxidise and ruin it.
While technically this is true, it's not such a huge thing in the homebrewers environment since our beers generally don't last 6 months and we deal with such small batches. If you were brewing 5000L batches, and had a customer base, then it's definitely something you need to think about.
I once dropped my 25L bottling bucket from about a metre and a half off the ground and watched it bounce and spill 12L all over my carport (see Pic)
the last 12L I salvaged, let the 20cm of clearly airated foam die down and bottled as normal. Turned out to be one of my best schwarzbiers ever, without a hint of oxidisation.

The problem is that this particular internet forum is full of monkeys that know their not supposed to climb up to get the banana, have no idea why, but are happy to beat any new monkeys with what the other monkeys have regurgitated.

Anyway, hurry up and go to bed, I'm parked out the front of your house with a hard-on and im dying for a shit.

BF

*******.jpg

siloted and BF are right that people not knowing stuff try to help. I to do it but usually only when no one answers and do say to wait for better people to answer. I found most of the older ones that do know there stuff do not post anymore some for that reason some just over the bitching that goes on and other reasons to I am sure.

I think it's more along the lines of 'same shit, different day'
Pretty much everything that a new brewer needs to know and a heap of stuff he\she doesn't has been vomited in this forum numerous times over and over again. Also there's no need to reply to new brewers posts when you have a hundred other new brewers waiting in line to vomit for you.

Best advice I can give is post your question, pick the person who seems to know what their on about in the replys the most and DM them.
I'm yet to meet ANY brewer that won't extend a hand to a new brewer asking for advice.

BF

I once dropped my 25L bottling bucket from about a metre and a half off the ground and watched it bounce and spill 12L all over my carport (see Pic)
the last 12L I salvaged, let the 20cm of clearly airated foam die down and bottled as normal. Turned out to be one of my best schwarzbiers ever, without a hint of oxidisation.

Ha! I had an incident where after successfully kegging 100+ kegs I managed to not tighten the posts on my first AG - WAS SPEWING.

So, came out in the morning and thought "that looks like coke in the bottom of my keg freezer" ... "F&$(@()$*K!!!!!"

Anyway, I had only cleaned the freezer with bleach the day before so I siphoned in back into the keg only losing about 4 litres :ph34r:

It was referred to as "Disaster Ale" and tasted fantastic :)

The problem is that this particular internet forum is full of monkeys that know their not supposed to climb up to get the banana, have no idea why, but are happy to beat any new monkeys with what the other monkeys have regurgitated.

It was an interesting read, thanks for the earlier link. There is part of the story missing: some monkeys just do it because they like spanking the monkey :p

It was an interesting read, thanks for the earlier link. There is part of the story missing: some monkeys just do it because they like spanking the monkey :p

Nothing wrong with a bit of monkey spanking here and there.

I'm a little concerned I may have inadvertently oxidised my still fermenting ESB.

Whilst doing some arranging of things around my fermenter I accidently gave it a good knock and the liquid inside got a good shaking up. The wort had been fermenting for a good 6 days.

While I'm very happy I didn't spill 21L of beer on my floor I am a little worried said agitation may have added some unwanted O2 into the mix.

Need I be concerned, or will the cap of CO2, which would have been occupying the space between the beer and the fermenter lid, have saved the day?

Cheers,

JW.

You are obviously an all grain brewer.
If you were a lowly kit or extract brewer you would be told by some that it wouldn't matter if your beer was oxidised because it tastes like shit anyway and not worth making.

cheers

You are obviously an all grain brewer.
If you were a lowly kit or extract brewer you would be told by some that it wouldn't matter if your beer was oxidised because it tastes like shit anyway and not worth making.

+1

That's a fair call.

B) :p

Back