Lidl secures hundreds of trademarks in Australia

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Despite Lidl (Aldi lookalike but bigger stores) stating they don't expect to come here soon, they have recently trademarked hundreds of lines including "The Crafty Brewer" range.
If they do come to Australia eventually it should stir things up a bit.

The Crafty Brewer

I'd guess they would partner with Aussie smaller breweries here, although no reason why they shouldn't just use the Irish Brewery and Shepherd Neame for the Australian offering, as per Aldi importing French and American beers for their Aussie stores.

" The new range will include a variety of larger, cider, stout, ale and wheat beer."

They should do well, everyone wants larger drinks!

Don't expect to see them any time soon. Been trademarking stuff for years. Resurgence of Metcash and the expansion of ALDI into the western states over the last 18 months has made it less attractive.

Trademarking a label is fairly inexpensive - a few hundred dollars.

It can take a while to process though (9 months or so? ).

Lidl eh? Ha. Reminds me of that fast food chain in the movie Coming To America.

comingtoamerica12.jpg

As I understand it, with trademark law there is a 'Use It or Lose It' provision. In other words, once you have registered a trademark you only have a certain period of time to produce goods under that name. If you don't someone else can challenge your ownership of the trademark (this provision was brought in to stop people locking up all the best names for a product type and never using them commercially)

Mind you, they could contract a brewery to make an occaisional small run and sell it at or below cost to prevent a challenge.

Feldon said:
As I understand it, with trademark law there is a 'Use It or Lose It' provision. In other words, once you have registered a trademark you only have a certain period of time to produce goods under that name. If you don't someone else can challenge your ownership of the trademark (this provision was brought in to stop people locking up all the best names for a product type and never using them commercially)

Mind you, they could contract a brewery to make an occaisional small run and sell it at or below cost to prevent a challenge.
True however who is going to take on a company like Lidl for a TM? Deep pockets.

Bribie G said:
Despite Lidl (Aldi lookalike but bigger stores) stating they don't expect to come here soon, they have recently trademarked hundreds of lines including "The Crafty Brewer" range.
If they do come to Australia eventually it should stir things up a bit.

The Crafty Brewer

I'd guess they would partner with Aussie smaller breweries here, although no reason why they shouldn't just use the Irish Brewery and Shepherd Neame for the Australian offering, as per Aldi importing French and American beers for their Aussie stores.
Living in Ireland at the moment and I can tell you now you do the want the crafty range. It's brewed by the river brewing, they have another brand called mcgargles. They have had bad beer for a while now. They have one good IPA at the moment, and they have managed a good stout under the mcgargles brand, but you still get a lot of hit and miss bottles, oxidised or infected, and some downright bad beers - lagers, pale ale etc.

That lager shown in the link is horrible. Had it not 5 days ago and gave it the thumbs down.

There will be better beer in Australia by the micro's there. Ireland has only really got craft beer and micro breweries in the last three years, mostly by homebrewers brewing less than 5 years. They have a long way to go.

Oz-Brewer said:
another brand called mcgargles.
You're taking the pish!!?? McGargles? :lol:
If the name's anything to go by they might be better off marketing it as mouthwash.

I'd guess with Guinness and two or three minor breweries having an absolute stranglehold in Ireland for the last hundred years or so, and pretty much a real ale desert by the late 20th Century, craft brewing would be facing and uphill battle to reeducate palates. I'd further guess that like Scotland, they are pretty much in the "spirits zone" of countries.
I'm not a Scotch fan but gimme a smooth Irish Whiskey any day. :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

Hahaha, absolutely not taking the piss re McGargles.

The homebrew scene took off about 5 years ago, and the micro's soon followed. Guinness and smithwicks are now brewing "craft" beer in competition. Actually, Guinness' Hop House 13 is a nice lager.

There are a few micro's doing good beer - Kinnegar and 8 Degrees (Australian, NZ, Irish founders).

It's actually really exploded as an industry and the macros are now responding.

Yes to Irish Whiskey, lovely stuff, and no to Scotch whisky as well..

Latest posts

Back