Let's Freeze Some Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Currently, I get mine from Coles, 200ml for ~$8

Was talking to mardoo about this the other day and it's a possible bulk buy for us locally. I know mardoo has looked into it and has some options

Cheers Martin. Looks like those prices are pretty comparable to the chemists. I might have to try the vets!

Those vials are half the reason I'm planning this. I'd forgotten about them until recently. A bit like all the other brewing related stuff I needed but yet to use!

Admit Yob, you've got a problem!

I do indeed, mostly related to remaining freezer space and the amount of yeast varieties I'm still to bank ;)

Yob said:
Get me some too..

I have a problem..
Wait, wha? No bulk buy? Admit it Yob, you're slipping. :ph34r: :p

I got 25 off Idzy a while back thinking there is *no way* I'd ever need more (contrary to the advice of Mr O'C & others IIRC). Split a saison last night leaving me about 4 empty's... now I think I'd better get more before I run out!

Next purchase will be for about 50. Or 100.

Dammit.

Yob said:
I do indeed, mostly related to remaining freezer space and the amount of yeast varieties I'm still to bank ;)
I know how you feel Yob, when SWMBO decided we needed a chest freezer for under the house all I could think was 'Thank God, more room for yeast and hops'

I use the same 30% glycerine solution as in the tutorial at the start of this thread and clean (unused) 70ml urine specimen jars from my work when freezing. I too am growing a yeast bank and currently have;

3 x 1272 - American Ale II
3 x 1318 - London Ale III
3 x 2308 - Munich Lager
2 x 3724 - Belgian Saison
2 x Coopers Commercial Strain Yeast (recultured from bottles)

Going to add 1450 - Denny's Favorite 50 to that collection this week and working on finding a decent wheat beer strain to add to the collection too. Anyone know if Ferals White Witbier is primed with a wheat or lager yeast?

I'm open to suggestions on a good wheat yeast strain...

Best price I've found, we can get it for $13.20/litre if we buy in 5 litre lots, $12.10/litre if we buy in 20 litre lots. Provide your own bottles. I'd say minimum of 1 liter. Shall I seek the BB blessing?

I'd grab a litre too.

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the minister for finance, war & saying "NO!", I'll go a litre too.

Lol... just bought 2 x 250ml at Coles on the weekend. But whatever. Yes.

1L will do for what, 50 freezes? (@ 40%) So maybe two as well... gah. Expression of interest, err, expressed.

Hey y'all, I've put up the glycerine bulk buy thread here. If you indicated interest in this thread I put you down for the amount you said you'd like. Maybe visit the thread just to make sure I haven't portrayed your desires in a politically incorrect way, or something. If you don't actually want to participate just take yourself down or send me a nasty PM and I'll do it.

Added these to the bank today:

WLP028 Edinburgh Scottish Ale
WLP041 Pacific Ale

Next on the list:
WLP013 London Ale
WLP004 Irish Ale

That will take me to 8 strains. I feel a wrath of session ales coming on this summer.

Added these to the bank today:

WLP028 Edinburgh Scottish Ale
WLP041 Pacific Ale

Next on the list:
WLP013 London Ale
WLP004 Irish Ale

That will take me to 8 strains. I feel a wrath of session ales coming on this summer./quote]

What did you use the pacific for? Have a vial I need to use or freeze soon, tentatively slated to go into a mild amber APA.... If I chicken out on the pacific it will just get a neutral strain.

In the interests of this thread, and the new bloody addiction of collecting every yeast on the planet... I've ordered 2 x 3lt schott flasks from digital home brew, I've now got a V3 and a V2 thanks to their awesome customer service.. Which brings the flask collection to

1 x 100ml
2 x 500ml
2 x 1000ml
3 x 2000ml
2 x 3000ml

Ok.. I might have a problem

Cry havoc on the left and Greenbelt on the right, the Greenbelt was one of the first ones I froze :)

DSC_0220.JPG

I've been lurking over this thread for some time and I've gathered most of the materials needed. The only thing missing is an inset for my pressure cooker (an old one from my mom) so that nothing is standing on the bottom surface.

Since I have 2 Wyeast smackpacks in the fridge that I will not be able to use very soon I was thinking of freezing them. I do have some last questions, though:
  1. Does anyone knows how much yeast (in ml) is in a smackpack? It says "125ml", but is that including the nutrients?
  2. Should I smack the packs and let them swell before freezing? Or only freeze the yeast that is in there? (I want to avoid making a starter if possible...)
  3. Am I correct that you should make a mix of yeast, glycerine and water or beer?
  4. What is the "optimal" ratio of yeast, glycerine and water/beer?
Voila... If I know the answers on these questions I'm ready for a frozen yeast bank!

Cheers!
- Niels

mofox1 said:
What did you use the pacific for? Have a vial I need to use or freeze soon, tentatively slated to go into a mild amber APA.... If I chicken out on the pacific it will just get a neutral strain.
I havnt used it as of yet but initially bought it for use in brown ales and might even go in a blonde ale, and at some point no doubt it will go in a red beer (thats what the 004 and 028 is for also).

Back