Let's Freeze Some Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah brilliant. So its close to full viability.
Looks like the days between christmas and new year might involve some watching demolition man whilst freezing some yeast. Then I know that when they get unfrozen they will come out of hibernation fully charged like a badass and hopefully wearing yeast sized denim overalls, and then not pay income tax.

Yob said:
By the by.. had a big yeast day.. SWMBO said I was obsessed...

1272 fresh pack split into 5 vials (25ml %50 Glycerine solution 25ml Yeast/Liquid)
1450 fresh pack split into 5 vials (25ml %50 Glycerine solution 25ml Yeast/Liquid)
1056 fresh pack split into 5 vials (25ml %50 Glycerine solution 25ml Yeast/Liquid)
1217 (just to have a reset) smacked to be split and frozen tmoz.. thinking I need a generator backup.. means I have.. off the top of my head at least a dozen strains frozen off atm... some of them also have 3rd generation harvests as well.. :ph34r: :lol:

:beerbang:
What is the benefit of smacking them before splitting?

I've got my first wyeast in the fridge in the moment (3724 - belgian saison) and thinking of splitting it before I do the starter for the batch... would like to know whether to smack or not.

You've been busy Yob! I had some 1450 that I was gonna trade you haha but you beat me to it.

You've got a very suited collection to your brewing regime and will have to steal/trade some from/with you soon. It is becoming another essential to the hobby of being able to ferment at your own leisure.

barneey said:
Have you guys not used yeasty balls?

IMG_9778_zps93ee1705.jpg
No, not seen them, they look quite small?

mofox1 said:
What is the benefit of smacking them before splitting?I've got my first wyeast in the fridge in the moment (3724 - belgian saison) and thinking of splitting it before I do the starter for the batch... would like to know whether to smack or not.
Just to proof them really.. Considered collecting the little packs to add to the starters but in the end couldn't be arsed, don't think it makes much difference to be honest, maybe better not to but as I sit them in the fridge to floc first, meh

http://www.pro-lab.com/literature/microbank-sales-literature.pdf

Basically you select a colony to use from a petri dish, place colony into vial, shake, decant liquid & dispose - leave behind the balls in the vial, place vial in freezer.

Create starter from ball either direct & step up or via petri dish & step up.

I have some yeast given to me grown up from a yeasty ball a couple of years old + have in turn made some more balls up earlier this year to try an experiment out in early 2015. Useful if you want to keep a yeast or platinum strain.

barneey said:
http://www.pro-lab.com/literature/microbank-sales-literature.pdf

Basically you select a colony to use from a petri dish, place colony into vial, shake, decant liquid & dispose - leave behind the balls in the vial, place vial in freezer.

Create starter from ball either direct & step up or via petri dish & step up.

I have some yeast given to me grown up from a yeasty ball a couple of years old + have in turn made some more balls up earlier this year to try an experiment out in early 2015. Useful if you want to keep a yeast or platinum strain.
Hay man, they look pretty trick.. but one of the reasons Ive gone down the road I have is to avoid slants and plating.. simply dont have the time for it. The current method allows for a vial to be taken out on a weekend and is generally ready to use by the next which is pretty good... though it must be said that its starting to take up a bit of room with 3 to 5 50ml vials of 13 or so strains now :ph34r:

do you take out a bead and use that so each vial has multiple uses? how many balls to a vial? are they autoclavable thereby being multiple use?

Very interesting none-the-less, might shoot them an email :)

ed: oh no.. not another feckin bulk buy... :lol:

The 2ml vial contains 25 beads, so they have in theory 25 uses (as long as you are ultra clean in using them / taking a ball out).

The company might if your lucky send a free sample, or the UK homebrew shops have now started selling them / if you get really stuck and want to pay for international postage I might be able to send a vial to you.

I would however treat them as an exercise first before doing a group buy as they do require quite a bit of preparation.

To save money however you could always buy some autoclave 2ml vials and start splitting the beads. ;)

As I mentioned they are of more use for storage of a rare / rarely available yeast strain, unless you like making up plates / slants & starters :)

Ive sen the US mob on that PDF link an email to see what they come back with, asked all sorts of silly questions :)

Where you located mate?

Plate them, although another member on a different forum (UK based) has used a bead with a very small starter and had success, (just throw the bead in).

I`ll also quote someone on the thread that originally put me on these beads

"I have a "Hens Tooth" one that is 4 years old and growing after being streaked from a colony from the plate that said yeasty ball was placed upon and when I finally get round to it it's heading in Barneey's direction.

Yes they are possibly slower than a slant but then you are probably starting with fewer colonies. Just roll the ball round on a plate of decent medium and go from there."

I bought myself a 55lt tub today to go in the deepest darkest corner of the deep freezer (my hop one so it's feckin cold) and was surprised to see it nearly filled. Admittedly I can save some space be getting a few more *better suited* clip lock containers, some of the existing packaging isnt space friendly.. buuuut..

Im close to having 20 types of yeast and nigh on 100 vials. :beerbang:

Also.. It seems that a %25 solution still freezes, not an issue really but I do like it if they stay fluid.

ed: *_*

MartinOC did a bb a little while back and there was a bb through Melbourne brewers as well, I can get the details for both if you need?

Ok, I'm gonna get organised soon and give this a go. Where does everyone source their glycerin from? The local chemist only has 100ml for $5. I do have a bottle down the shed we had for one of the dogs but not exactly sure of its suitability.
I thought I'd try pressure cooking the glycerin in the vials first to sterilise. Can I safely do this with the lids screwed tight?
Also, does anyone use ascorbic acid as mentioned in the yeast book? Sorry if its been mentioned already.

Latest posts

Back