Lest We Forget

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lest we forget.

My wife's uncle was killed by a sniper in New Guinea one week before the end of WWII. Obviously, my wife never knew him.
Her great-uncle was shot twice on the Western Front, once at Pozires, and lastly near Ypres. He was injured badly enought to get a Blighty, and was repratriated to Australia before the end of the war, on the basis of his injuries.

Definitely a time to reflect on how lucky we are and how many people went off to war for the benefit of all.

BTW, did anyone else find the Peter Cosgrove ad where he invites us to raise a glass (of VB) in honour of the diggers a bit off? I plan to raise a glass of something much nicer but feel that thinly disguising an ad promoting CUB profits in the name of ANZAC day a little tacky.
Perhaps you tuned out when you realised it was VB.
The idea is that a slice of the profit goes to Legacy, a very worthwhile charity. Hence why Peter Cosgrove is in the ad.
While I may disagree with CUB using ANZAC and Legacy to boost their coffers I do agree with giving to such a cause. As such I bought 3 or 4 pints for a couple of old diggers down the pub and also made a donation to the Legacy collectors.
I have served, my brother and father have served. My father in a war zone.
I also had a Great Grandfather killed in action at Flanders in the Great War.

Lest We Forget.

Grandfather was one of the Rats of Trobruk. Lived through that and died in a motorcycle accident here in Australia......go figure! Farther back our mob come out from Germany in the late 1800's for one then to die at Gallipolli.........again go figure! Wifes grandfather was one of the original British serviceman selected to form the first Commmando unit. Still got his paybook and all his gear. He fought in Norway, Italy and probably all over Europe I'd say.............It's because of these blokes we can sit back and live the lives that we live in freedom. Lest we forget. :icon_cheers:

Two Grandfathers in the war, one landed at Gallipolli and made it home. The other was a tail gunner and took off on a mission over Germany never to be heard of again.

Least we forget.

And I'm proud to be an Australian,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.

I was only a national serviceman 1969 to 71 and didnt see any action , was stationed at enoggera 18 company QLD.

so i havent experienced the conditions that our deployed soldiers experienced, however i go to every dawn service and pay my respect and gratitude to all our service personnel that have served in the front lines.

however it still makes me angry that wars are started by so few , yet so many are affected by them.

LEST WE FORGET

fergi

From one returned service man to the rest. We will remember them.
Those that have served or are currently serving we will remember
Our hearts go out to the families of such members
We will remember them

Grandad was at the Somme. When he was middle aged and I was about 5 I loved it when he came home from work and I used to watch him getting changed (long johns and singlet as this was in the North of England). Reason I was fascinated was all the bits missing and geographical skin from shrapnel etc.

"Grandad, what's that bit again?"
"That's where the hun shot three ribs out, and that black bit is a bit of shrapnel that's probably going to work its way out in a month or so"

He was 15 at the Somme, <_< lied about his age to get in. Lucky bugger to get home in almost one piece.

Edit: he's the guy in the middle, at age 17 - absolute miracle he lived that long, imagine your kid going off to fight in the trenches

grandad_1.JPG

Dad died from leukemia 30 years ago, he was in the RAF and seconded to the USA after the War, his job was to fly through Atom bomb test mushroom clouds afterwards and collect samples.

I'm an old bugger myself now but can still see every line on their face and hair on their head.

Edit: During the War, flying out of England there were quite a few Aussie squadrons. Thanks guys for my being here today.

My grandfather was a rat of toburk also,my father was in the air force served in italy/new guinea.myself a national serviceman

lest-we-forget.jpg

What was he's name? My pop was a desert rat in tobruk he's name was Hector Macdonald. He saved a lot of men stuck in a bunker I was told.

What was he's name? My pop was a desert rat in tobruk he's name was Hector Macdonald. He saved a lot of men stuck in a bunker I was told.

Mr grandfather was Oscar Gibson. Everyone knew him as Ock.

Perhaps you tuned out when you realised it was VB.
The idea is that a slice of the profit goes to Legacy, a very worthwhile charity. Hence why Peter Cosgrove is in the ad.
While I may disagree with CUB using ANZAC and Legacy to boost their coffers I do agree with giving to such a cause. As such I bought 3 or 4 pints for a couple of old diggers down the pub and also made a donation to the Legacy collectors.
I have served, my brother and father have served. My father in a war zone.
I also had a Great Grandfather killed in action at Flanders in the Great War.

Lest We Forget.

Apols, did not realise the Legacy connection. I was too busy throwing things at the TV.

GAV80 his name norman strauch

I wonder if they knew each other? My dad told me they lived underground for 3 month at a time! I loved my pop. All I remember is he used to peel apples with he's old knife and give me chunks of apple. He was a quiet man. Lost all he's stomach to cancer, when they sowed him up he was really bent over so he grabbed the clothes line every day and walked around on it until he was straight again.
I loved the man and I really appreciate what he went through for our well being.

Gav..i remember my grandfather saying,you would never go above ground during the night and have a smoke the sniper's would shoot at you.

My grandfather was a engineer in the red army, he and his battalion rolled over the border into Germany in 1945, and he stayed there in Leipzig until the 70's.

My Grandfather was in the German Army and held captive by the Russians for 7 years after the war ended. He survived and came to Australia for a better (brief) life.

My father served in the Australian Army for 22 years in the 1 Armoured Regiment. Proud of my pop I am.

I think of today as not only a day for Australian Soldiers, but for all Soldiers. They fight wherever moron politicians drive them. They put everything on the line for their countrymen without hesitation.

If you think for a second your vote does not count or matter, then think of what I have said above.

Lest we forget

One grandfather served in the army in New Guinea, still remember him showing me a hankerchief with a hand drawn map on it of a mission they had to go on, no idea where that ended up, wish I had it :(

Went to the ANZAC day game to watch my team win by a nerve wracking point, it makes the hairs on my neck stand up hearing the silence that almost 90,000 people can produce to honour the people that go to war or serve on our behalf.

Shame on the politicians for not looking after them with properly adjusted pensions. Plan on writing to my rep and give him an ear full!

God Bless all who have served in the name of freedom. Who have charged forward into oblivion to save their country, their families, their mates.

We all owe a debt that cannot be paid to these people that have given everything. I fly my flag at half in honor your soldiers and their families.

Bob
Scoutmaster BSA Minnesota

A simply wonderful rendition of The Band Played Waltzing Matilda by Liam Clancy

damn near brings a tear to the eye.

:excl:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back