Lest We Forget

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rowy said:
I get up to Gympie a fair bit. I'll have to give it a go.
You don't have to tell me when in advance :lol:

But ya bloodywell better call in for a beer one day!

Screwy

Will do Screwy. Bloody tiler mate of mine just got a new hip and is whinging about not having a beer so will have to do it soon. I can hear the fish and crabs at Kauri calling me as well!

Rowy said:
Will do Screwy. Bloody tiler mate of mine just got a new hip and is whinging about not having a beer so will have to do it soon. I can hear the fish and crabs at Kauri calling me as well!
Think that ex er, ahh! Tiler (vic) mate of yours may be working on a pool across the road from my place :huh:

Keep him away from your beer Screwy! The pricks got hollow legs.

cheers to all those past and present who fought\fight for our way of life...

ill never forget seeing what they faced in gallipoli and im sure there were equal horrors in all conflicts...lest we forget

Heading off to dawn service.. No 2 up or RSL today though, gotta drive up country today.

They gave so I could.

Lest we forget

Indeed Yob. Just back from the local Goodna dawn service.

Amazing turnout as per usual.

Lest we forget.

Not aware of any diggers in my family, but my grandfather (Dutch) spent a good portion of his childhood in a Jap concentration camp in Indonesia. There are some absolutely horrifying stories of they way they treated women and children (starvation, rape etc), let alone the men. I'm thankful WWII ended when it did and that Australia took on so many refugees with open arms.

Finally managed to secure my grandfather's medals, now I just need to find out what they were for.

Was reading his military history this morning, he was Mia for almost 3 years!!

Lest we forget

My grand children have big interest in the medals i have..theres mine,dad's and grandfathers.

11rgjvc.jpg
Lest we Forget

My brothers words... pretty much sums up ANZAC day for me too.

Today on ANZAC day I pause and give thanks to those who have done so much in serving my country.

- To my Great Uncle who lies in a war cemetery in France.
- To my Grandfather who served in New Guinea and came home deeply affected by his experiences.
- To the "fuzzy wuzzy angels" who protected him from the Japanese whilst missing in action for a period of weeks.
- To my younger brother who served in East Timor.
-To all those who served in the past, present and future.

Thank you.

I was one of the younger, sillier types who thought and saw only the glorified version of war'ry' stuff and spent about 8 years in a reserves unit up here that was different from most others in that we did a 5 & 2 x 2 week camps only during the year. There I met a few ex vietnam vets including one who would be my section commander for a couple years. When pressed these blokes would offer very little other than impress on us this was no game we were trainign for and don't believe the types of who we had a couple...blokes who had seen no action at all but told plenty of stories. THese fellas changed my attitude tremendously and helped me grow up just a little, but certainly taught me much about respect. Years later I was watching a doco which came out and told quite a detailed story of the battle of Long Tan. In the middle of this I saw the bloke who had been my section commander and what he had experienced told me exactly why the blokes who had been in the middle of those actions said little to nothing of their experiences. This is one doco which without fail always causes me to get the hard lump in the throat.

This plus having hjad a number of relatives way back from the greatgrandfather down see action over a number of wars (including two who didn't come home), Anzac day has always meant much to me. I don't know about fighting for freedom (sorry, the way it is used nowadays I really do despise it's frivolous use) - WWII aside - these blokes were fighting because that is what they were sent to do, most of the time it was about staying alive and doing a job as professionally and as seriously as they could.

Lest we forget.

A delayed post I know, only just got my PC replaced.

My Daughter just played the song and video of the latest version of I was only nineteen by an Aussie military group/ band.
It's excellent.
I was only nineteen. The Lancer Band.

Trying to get my Grandfathers Rising Sun replaced, was lost in some fires a few years ago, lets hope the RSL can help out somehow.

Remembrance day tomorrow , I didn't stop last year because I forgot for the first time in a long time,I will stop and give a though and thanks tomorrow ,as will everybody on site with me.

according to my family's romanticised history of the war, one of my grandfathers was in everything from tobruk to burma, got captured, shot, escaped, you name it. on closer inspection on service records shows he was probably never in burma and spent most of his energy in north africa getting periodically court martialled for getting drunk and fighting other australians. and came home on a pension for shell shock.
the other grandad refused to fight for the british empire on the grounds of being irish. (ww11 being not long after irish independence). so his life was made hell for sticking up for himself.
both my parents were in the armed services and met each other there.
my dad went to prison for refusing to go to vietnam.
and as an ex serviceman myself, i really don't care. but then - i joined shortly post vietnam (1976) when all military were despised by pretty much everybody from the media to your entire peer age group to anybody else in town, and they could all pick you cos you were the only ones with short hair.
it's all a bit rah rah oz nationalist fashion to me.

Latest posts

Back