Lentils As An Adjunct

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

levin_ae92

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have what may seem a strange question, but has any one ever heard of using lentils as an adjunct in brewing beer? If not, does anyone think it would be possible? Just a strange suggestion a friend of mine made.

Many Thanks

Colby

Probably too high in protein causing off flavours and haze problems. There's starch in them that could be converted to sugar, no doubt. Potatoes can be used as an adjunct but never heard of anything in the legumes being used. The other thing is that legumes are poisonous to various degrees unless cooked and who knows what compounds are in them that could be changed into something nasty during fermentation.

Lentil beer would probably make you pea more :lol:

Why do people want to stick so many things in beer, that arent beer?
I mean, I love a good rasberry stout, lemon cervesa, or pumpkin IPA, but seriously folks.

"Can I stick Baked Beans in my beer?"
"Do roasted artichokes taste good in beer?"

Just because you like to have a thing WITH your beer, doesnt mean you should brew with it.
:p

Yeah, adjuncts are usually used because they can effectively dilute the nitrogen supplied by the malt, it would appear that lentils have significantly more (perhaps 2.5x as much), so defeats the purpose of using an adjunct for that. Also means less starch as a result, so cost savings would be questionable, and you'd probably need to cook them first separately first too before adding to your mash, so means extra time and effort for no real benefit and potential complications from the extra nitrogen. Maybe it will give your beer a good head though?

Despite objections from the purists, adjuncts do have a time and a place (for instance, to accompany high nitrogen 6 row malt), but lentils probably aren't a particularly good choice. Personally, I'd rather jump in on a bulk buy to cut my costs than play with adjuncts, the malts we have available for homebrew don't really necessitate them most of the time.

not all adjuncts are purely used for sugars. there is the taste reason also. but im not a big lentil eater so i couldnt give you any guide as to how it would affect tastes in beer. i suppose the red lentils may give you a nice red hue to the beer?

not all adjuncts are purely used for sugars. there is the taste reason also. but im not a big lentil eater so i couldnt give you any guide as to how it would affect tastes in beer. i suppose the red lentils may give you a nice red hue to the beer?

mmmm tofu beer!

lol yeah, all that flavour that tofu has too! ;)

Lentils could be used for colour I guess, maybe the dark french ones would add an interesting hue.. or maybe they would just darken it a bit...

Lentils and beer hmmm... I think not! As CM2 has rightfully said I doubt it has any flavour profile to add to the final beer so therefore a waste of time IMO. 2c :icon_cheers:

mmmm tofu beer!

I just knew you would bring up your hippy vegian tofu cr@p as soon I saw your name on the latest threads. LOL! :lol:

Found this through another thread on beer in Singapore...

this is a beer with health benefits, it has Spirulina in it. Looks interesting.

green_beer.jpg

I had spirulina once, however the suppositories cleared it within a week. :icon_cheers:

:icon_offtopic:

Hey that looks great Katie. Would be fun to serve up that up at the Christmas table this year. I was looking for a Christmas beer.

Where can you get Spirulina?

Hey that looks great Katie. Would be fun to serve up that up at the Christmas table this year. I was looking for a Christmas beer.

yeah cause so many poeple are so happy about trying homebrew let alone sit some green homebrew beer in front of them!
St Patricks day special

and since someone will ask wtf it is. link. you can buy in a tablet form here but i suspect it wouldnt be green/impart any greenness

Green food colouring anyone?

Ive been tempted todo a tapioca flour or pearls in a beer for giggles but im scared (as usual) of the loaf factor!

Hi All,

I have what may seem a strange question, but has any one ever heard of using lentils as an adjunct in brewing beer? If not, does anyone think it would be possible? Just a strange suggestion a friend of mine made.

Many Thanks

Colby

Adjuncts usually have a purpose. Any idea what the purpose of the lentils would be? Was your friend just musing loudly or is s/he just an hb loving Hare Krsna?

Daal beer

Not sure where you would get the natural form... Its a micro salt water plant!

Spirulina is 100% natural and a highly nutritious micro salt water plant. It was discovered in South American and Africa in natural alkaline lakes. This spiral shaped algae is a rich food source. For a long time (centuries) this algae has constituted a significant part of the diet of many communities. Since the 1970's, Spirulina has been well known and widely used as a dietary supplement in some countries.

Found a source for it Katie BUT $90 for a 1000grs of dried. Wow! Not sure how much i would need but I would think 1000grs would be waaaay too much. Anyone interested in a bulk buy? :ph34r:

OP: Sorry fot the Hijack but I kinda have a reputation to up hold. I hope you understand?

Wow all those replies in 3hrs? Thanks everyone, its a purely academic question, have had a bit to do with pulse breeders association through work

Hi All,

Many Thanks

Colby

G'Day Colby

My wife is a vego. I have eaten my unfair share of lentils. Why oh why would you want to hurt a beer like that? For your sake, I hope your coming off a big night.

Cheers
POLAR

Found a source for it Katie BUT $90 for a 1000grs of dried. Wow! Not sure how much i would need but I would think 1000grs would be waaaay too much. Anyone interested in a bulk buy?

Or get a live culture and grow it out! last i heard brewers had a thing for bubbling containers that smell like fart.. :ph34r:

Latest posts

Back