Lentils As An Adjunct

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no idea about lentils - but I know that Millet man has used Buckwheat in some of his GF beers. They help with head retention due to protein content.

Now buckwheat isn't lentils - but I have eaten both and they aren't terribly far from each other flavour wise and are kinda similar in nature

Millet man says that if you use too high a proportion of buckwheat - you get a "beany" type of flavour, and that it is unpleasant in beer. I cant imagine that lentil would be any less likely to give you a beany character and so at a guess, I'd say they would be an unpleasant addition to a beer.

Japan has flirted with the idea for a few years now - they have a weird excise tax system and using pea proteins and soy protein and lipids in brews puts them in the 'lower' tax bracket... Sapporo, Kirin, and Asahi all produce a beer that's nearly 50% cheaper than their normal brews, their marketing describes the taste as dry and refreshing... and then wobble on about kids brought up on soft drinks not really digging the more old school bitter tastes of beer

Bolocks I say...

...but in the interest of science I'm prepared to drop 1 red lentil into my next boil...

Now this has me thinking, being teetotal for a couple of months..................maybe pea & ham beer could be considered more food than alcoholic beverage....................should I ask the doc ;)

Screwy

Back