Leaking Fermenter Taps......

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kungy

Reaction score
I have found that a number of fermenter taps leak through the actual otuput nozzle admittedly at a slow rate. I have since tried to replace them with brand spanking new ones, and some still leak and some leak after not much use at all ie 2-3 brews. The taps being the standard new coopers style taps where you twist it to the right.

Is this a common problem or is it just me (i would assume uncommon as I can't find any relevant threads from the search function). Perhaps opening the taps up inhibits its ability to seal properly? Are the snap tap style ones better at being resistant to leaking, if so i will get these "stat"!

Its getting frustrating replacing a tap every couple of brews. :angry:

Will

Get the snap type ones anyway, much easier to keep clean and bug free as they come apart really easily. They also seal very well provided the fridge door doesnt happen to push against them!!!

Beware though, they're a bit more expensive. Either that or I got ripped off.

About $6 each, camping stores sell them as well

Kungy, you're not alone, I've had the same problems with that type of taps over time.

Kungy, you're not alone, I've had the same problems with that type of taps over time.

Guys,
I have the same problem with a really slow leak on the fermenter tap. Brew was put down last night and the airlock seems to be bubbling OK. Should the CO2 being produced protect the beer from infection? I intend to rack on Saturday.

Thanks

Pointy

Guys,
I have the same problem with a really slow leak on the fermenter tap. Brew was put down last night and the airlock seems to be bubbling OK. Should the CO2 being produced protect the beer from infection? I intend to rack on Saturday.

Thanks

Pointy

She'll be right pointy.

Agree. It should be fine.
Just make sure you thoroughly clean the exposed areas of you tap before you rack/bottle.

You may also want to take a look at Finite's thread on Cleaning Fermenter Taps

I suspect that when gunk builds up between the two sections of the tap in opens small gaps which allow the taps to leak. Since cleaning my taps in this manner I've found the all leaks have stopped.

Back