Lcpa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had just cracked first bottles of this and it is a beauty.
I just threw in 50g cascade hop pellets straight into fermenter. arrrh fantastic
cheers :p

I've also done boonies recipe from homebrewandbeer.com, and its a cracker. The aroma added by the dry addition of chinook is fantastic, it is definately worth it!

Also, IMO this recipe needs the extra malt in order to balance the hoppiness (unless you're a hophead! :p )

gonna give the LCPA a dig bought 2 X 1.5 kg extra pale malt
15 cascade
15 cluster
12 chinook

trying it without the stockmans draught and just the 2 X extra pale malt extract

any ideas on OG ??

gonna give the LCPA a dig bought 2 X 1.5 kg extra pale malt
15 cascade
15 cluster
12 chinook

trying it without the stockmans draught and just the 2 X extra pale malt extract

any ideas on OG ??

You need a bittering hop addition if you are using unhopped extract and no kit.

do you think i should just buy a CPA from woolies and throw that in with just one of the tins of extract. ??

Yep, that would work just as well and would be cheaper and easier than buying extra hops and calculating a boiling addition.

no worries mate thanks for the help, could have turned out a waste of $40 odd bucks lol

cheers.

I also had a go at Boonie's LCPA recipe and it was a big hit with all my friends. It's now become one of my regular brews. I think it's a pretty good match with colour, gravity and aroma(but nothing can match the aroma of the real LCPA :) ) Details:

Ingredients -
1.7kg Morgans Stockmans Draught
1.5Kg Coopers Liquid Light Malt Extract
40g Cascade pellets
15g Chinook pellets
Safale US56 yeast
Notes -
boil 6L water with liquid malt.
Add 25g Cascade for 15mins
Add 15g Cascade at flame out
cool pot in sink
pour wort into fermenter
Pour kit can into fermeter
top up fermentor to 23L
ferment at 16-18 degrees
rack to secondary
dry hop with 15g Chinook pellets

Racked after 7 days
OG - 1047
FG - 1013
Alcohol - 5.2%

just put down my clone of the LCPA then.

1 CPA
1 LME extra pale
1 tea bag cluster
1 tea bag cascade
( 12 gm chinook at rack )

200 gm dex.

us-56
OG :1.060 FG:
just wondering because i dont really like to rack to secondary can i just rack it into keg and dry hop in my keg with chinook ???
in a hop tea bag or just loose pellets??

cheers steve,

I also had a go at Boonie's LCPA recipe and it was a big hit with all my friends. It's now become one of my regular brews. I think it's a pretty good match with colour, gravity and aroma(but nothing can match the aroma of the real LCPA :) ) Details:

Ingredients -
1.7kg Morgans Stockmans Draught
1.5Kg Coopers Liquid Light Malt Extract
40g Cascade pellets
15g Chinook pellets
Safale US56 yeast
Notes -
boil 6L water with liquid malt.
Add 25g Cascade for 15mins
Add 15g Cascade at flame out
cool pot in sink
pour wort into fermenter
Pour kit can into fermeter
top up fermentor to 23L
ferment at 16-18 degrees
rack to secondary
dry hop with 15g Chinook pellets

Racked after 7 days
OG - 1047
FG - 1013
Alcohol - 5.2%

I've noticed a few people using variations of this recipe.

Is there any need to boil the aroma hops out of the stockman's draught kit? No one seems to mention doing this, but I wouldn't have thought something called 'stockmans draught' would have a very APA friendly aroma. Morgans describe the kit as "A medium hopped rich in flavor pub style beer".

However the other kit that people seem to use for LCPA clones, the coopers pale; is way off the mark in terms of IBU. On another site I've seen one of the guys from the little creatures brewery mention that their pale ale has an IBU of 35. So if I was to use the CPA, I'd be buying more hops to raise the bitterness...

So what's the go. Should I boil the aroma off the stockmans draught, is it fine on its own, or am I better off starting with a CPA kit?

Try this one.

Coopers PA Can
BE2
500g LDME
250g Dex
25g Chinook
25g Cascade
US05 yeast

Boil up LDME and DEX in 7L water - Add 12g Chinook for 60, rest of chinook at 30 and 10g cascade at 5 minutes till flame out! Then also teabag a 15g cascade.

Hi, the brewcraft ingredients include 150g wheat dry malt. Just wondering if anyone has compared the brewcraft clone to others on this thread. Also the brew blend includes 500g Dextrose, 250g Maltodextrine, 250g Malt Extract, where as the other recipes on here don't mention the maltodextrine. The brewcraft LCPA is very nice and I think pretty close, but would like to try and get closer. Would the addition of Chinook (dry) get it closer? Chinook isn't in the brewcraft recipe.

Thanks
Nathan

Maltodextrine adds no flavour, only body. dextrose adds alcohol, but no flavour, and makes the beer thin. One is to offset the other. Thats why most of the recipes are all malt, just like real beers. ;)
For your q on chinook, look at page 1 of this very thread.

Hi nathan, my 2nd brew was a brewcraft LCPA clone, so naturally i followed the instructions and it eventually turned out beautiful. I didn't add or subtract anything stated in the instructions. I bottled in mid november and trialed 3 weeks later. I thought at first it was too sweet, but it seemed to adjust itself accordingly with time. I have 3 bottles left and are saving them for a while, because the longer i've aged the bottles the better they've tasted!

I have since bottled another six brews and have not tasted them yet, so hopefully aging bottles turns out ok no matter what the brew!!!

I've done the brewcraft kit, was just wondering if the 150g of wheat malt made a big difference? I will definitely dry hop maybe 10g of chinook next time, along with ldm and a can of goo plus the 15g Cascade & 15g Willamette, US-05 yeast.

Shelnaf, wheat malt is higher in protein than barley malt, it will aid head retention, as well as improving mouthfeel. I used to use 100-150g in the majority of my kits and extract brews as a matter of course. I think you'll find it makes a big difference.

Thanks butters, I'll add the wheat malt then.

Nathan

I did the Brewcraft LCPA kit with an extra 500g of LME ( Coopers ) and 12g of Cascade dryhopped after about 5 days into the primary.

Turned out the best kit I have done so far quite noice for a LCPA 'style'.

Just waiting to get going on the Boonies recipe for the next one as I got a packet of Chinooks.

I actually recently made quite a nice LCPA "style" APA by accident.

1 x Can Coopers Canadian Blonde
2kg Light Liquid Malt Extract
15g Amarillo @ 20 min
12g Amarillo @ 5 min
12g Amarillo @ flameout

US-05 yeast @ 18-20C

Very nice. Was actually surprised how similar the flavour of the Amarillo was to the usual Cascade/Chinook combination.

Back