Lcpa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NME69

Reaction score
I've had a brew go into the keg 2 days ago it was a Kit clone of a Little Creatures Pale Ale. I had bought the ingredients from my LHBS and following the directions from brewcellar.
1 X Can of Thomas Coopers Traditional Draught
1 X Can of 1.5kg Coopers light malt
300 grams dextrose
2 X 12g Cascade hops
1 X American Ale Yeast

I have to say this was pretty close to the mark. Very satisfied with the end product and would recomend this kit recipe to anyone who like LCPA

the little creatures was a great beer, i may give ya brew a dig next kit thanks for sharing mate cheers kingy.

I've had a brew go into the keg 2 days ago it was a Kit clone of a Little Creatures Pale Ale. I had bought the ingredients from my LHBS and following the directions from brewcellar.
1 X Can of Thomas Coopers Traditional Draught
1 X Can of 1.5kg Coopers light malt
300 grams dextrose
2 X 12g Cascade hops
1 X American Ale Yeast

I have to say this was pretty close to the mark. Very satisfied with the end product and would recomend this kit recipe to anyone who like LCPA

Looks the goods. How did you add the Hops? Boil? Dry? Did you use White labs liquid yeast? What fermentation temp?

NME, good work! I am going to try your mix...

I am an LCPA nutta and my version is similar and comes out pretty close to the mark too!

Try:

Coopers PA Can
BE2

Boil:
300g LDME
300g DEX
IN 6 litres of water - Bring to boil add 12g chinook for 15 minutes add another 12g chinook for 5 min - turn off. [20 min boil]

Teabag a cascade bag in coffee cup and let sit for 10 min

Mix it all together and pitch a US05, ferment at 19 deg. - You WILL be happy!! [23L that is]

Anyway thanks for sharing!!

Cheers
Cocko
:icon_cheers:

Looks the goods. How did you add the Hops? Boil? Dry? Did you use White labs liquid yeast? What fermentation temp?

The hops was steeped in the tea bag type bag in hot boiled water and put straight into the wort after the yeast
the yeast was the one that came out of the top of the can (coopers).
Fermentation temp (well to tell the truth cant really remember)Just guessing maybe 14-15

If you want a little extra kick, look at steeping a small amount of crystal malt (sometimes called Amber Grain Enhancer) in there. Just adds a little more complexity.

You definitely need to add some late chinook to any LCPA clone.

cheers

Browndog

NME, good work! I am going to try your mix...

I am an LCPA nutta and my version is similar and comes out pretty close to the mark too!

Try:

Coopers PA Can
BE2

Boil:
300g LDME
300g DEX
IN 6 litres of water - Bring to boil add 12g chinook for 15 minutes add another 12g chinook for 5 min - turn off. [20 min boil]

Teabag a cascade bag in coffee cup and let sit for 10 min

Mix it all together and pitch a US05, ferment at 19 deg. - You WILL be happy!! [23L that is]

Anyway thanks for sharing!!

Cheers
Cocko
:icon_cheers:

Sounds a little back to front there...

lcpa has cascade as traditional flavour/aroma additions, then has chinook through the hopback.

OM39A,

Any advice is good advice!! So many thanks :icon_cheers:

That was my 6th batch ever, first attempt at my own LCPA K&K, and I thought I was getting close to the mark for K&K.... Since that post I am drinking my 3rd attempt, as I type, and it is getting smooth and more blended in flavour in less time but I guess this is the journey!!

What do you suggest?

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers
Cocko

This is Boonie's LCPA from another site:

1 tin Morgans Stockmans Draught
1.5 kg of Morgans Extra Pale Malt Extract (Liquid)
15g of Cascade pellets - 15min
10g Cluster pellets - 15 min
12g of Chinook Pellets (dry hopped at rack)
US56 Yeast

I did 2 of these and after 1 month in the bottle it's bloody beautiful.

US56 Yeast

I have a spare tin of Morgans SD at home, I will have a crack at this recipie. What temp did you ferment at?

US56 Yeast

+1 for this one. Lovely beer, and the best kit beer I brewed, although I used a liquid yeast WLP001.
It was the last kit beer I brewed before going AG, and it was a hit with everyone I offered it to.
My only advice is to drink it within about 2 months of bottling, or the hop aroma tends to dissipate.

OM39A,

Any advice is good advice!! So many thanks :icon_cheers:

That was my 6th batch ever, first attempt at my own LCPA K&K, and I thought I was getting close to the mark for K&K.... Since that post I am drinking my 3rd attempt, as I type, and it is getting smooth and more blended in flavour in less time but I guess this is the journey!!

What do you suggest?

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers
Cocko

Id be looking at something more like:

<generic lager/draught/pale can>
1kg light dried malt
150g crystal malt

do a small boil of the kg malt + crystal (after its been steeped!!! not the grain!!!) and 10L of water (scale down appropriately)
<generic bittering hop> @ 60min to bring the overall bitterness up to 35ibu
30g cascade @ 20min
30g cascade + 15-20g chinook @ flameout

strain and mix

ferment with S-05/wlp001/1056 @ 18C

dry hop with more cascade after the bulk of fermentation has finished, leave a couple more days, then crash cool.

should get you something pretty close.

if youre not as much as a hop head as i am, then lower the hopping rate a little.

I have a spare tin of Morgans SD at home, I will have a crack at this recipie. What temp did you ferment at?

I ferment my ales at 18c. Usually take about 8-10 days, then 1 week in secondary with dry hop.

Just put a Brewcraft Premium LCPA 'style' into the fermenter.
12g Cascade hops in teabag + Willamette hop pellets.
No Chinooks ?
Anyone tried this kit and does it need anything else extra to add that special zing ?

Just put a Brewcraft Premium LCPA 'style' into the fermenter.
12g Cascade hops in teabag + Willamette hop pellets.
No Chinooks ?
Anyone tried this kit and does it need anything else extra to add that special zing ?

Havent tried the kit, but I use Cascade & Willamette in my APA (American Pale Ale - which is what LCPA is) I use US-05 or WLP001 Whitelabs Californian Ale. Will get you a very nice beer indeed.
mckenry.

I just put down a Brewcraft LCPA clone using,
12g of cascade hops
10g of willamette hops
Boiled hops for 1 minute and left to steep for 15 minutes.
Brew blend 15
wheat malt.
US 05 ale yeast.

The tin of goo was a blabk rock pilsener blond. All ingredients are supplied in the kit from brewcraft.

I did the brewcraft LCPA clone about 18 months ago now. At the time i was a very inexperienced homebrewer (about my third or fourth brew) and to me it was the best brew i had done and still very memorable. Similar to LCPA but definately different (hence why they say in the style of), i remember it being not as malty, and maybe a bit more sessionable. You will enjoy

Hmm wonder if adding Chinooks later would be worth it. I added about 250g extra of Light dried Malt OG is 1.052. Otherwise as per kit same as Mclovin

Hmm wonder if adding Chinooks later would be worth it. I added about 250g extra of Light dried Malt OG is 1.052. Otherwise as per kit same as Mclovin

Yup, dry hop with about 8 or 19 grams of Chinook, and it gives you a really nice hop aroma. I've done it, and it definitely works.

Back