Lauter Tun Ideas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCraggen

Reaction score
Okay guys im going to give a partial mash/steep a go,

Making a dunkel weizen style beer and im using 2kg of caramal wheat grain (the steeping kind).

Currently i have a 20L stock pot to use as a mash tun but ill need a way to filter out all the husks.

Any ideas on whats the easiest way to go about this?

You can use a collander lined with some cheesecloth, thats what I used to do.

2c.

Okay guys im going to give a partial mash/steep a go,

Making a dunkel weizen style beer and im using 2kg of caramal wheat grain (the steeping kind).

Currently i have a 20L stock pot to use as a mash tun but ill need a way to filter out all the husks.

Any ideas on whats the easiest way to go about this?

* A bag (BIAB), can order ones perfect size from ross @ craftbrewer
* Filter through a strainer of some kind
* filter through a bag.

I've personally done a similar thing with a 20L pot on the stove and I used a large bag from craft brewer and it worked perfectly. Mash with the bag in the pot, and the grain in the bag, then simply lift the bag out when done. You can use another pot (smaller even) to sparge / wash in if you want too.

Do you only need to steep?

Like raven said i just used a strainer

Sterilized first and then just poured through

kleiny

Kleiny, I have to ask.......

What sanitise the colander?? you are only going to boil the wort anyways..

No one else seems to have commented, so perhaps I'm wrong, but isn't that a damn huge amount of carawheat? I've seen 5% as a good addition in all-grain, but 40% of a 5kg grain bill would be a bit much wouldn't it? I haven't done partials, but shouldn't you be using a base malt. Perhaps it's different for partials?

<sits in the corner and awaits someone to tell him just how wrong he is...>

I'm with Quantumbrewer on this one.
2 kg of caramel wheat will leave a mighty sweet beer, one which not too many, and probably none, will enjoy.

What's the rest of your recipe look like?
Let's have a look at the whole recipe, the yeast you plan to use, and we'll be able to give you some guidance.

I do like dark wheats. I'm sipping a Pikantus clone as I type.

Edit: spelling

Kleiny, I have to ask.......

What sanitise the colander?? you are only going to boil the wort anyways..

This is a colander i use in the kitchen for everything else and while Ive got starsan mixed up to sanitize the fermenter i give it a dip

Cant be too clean

No one else seems to have commented, so perhaps I'm wrong, but isn't that a damn huge amount of carawheat? I've seen 5% as a good addition in all-grain, but 40% of a 5kg grain bill would be a bit much wouldn't it? I haven't done partials, but shouldn't you be using a base malt. Perhaps it's different for partials?

<sits in the corner and awaits someone to tell him just how wrong he is...>

I'm with Quantumbrewer on this one.

Just a late post to agree with the above comments. 0.42 Kg Carawheat turned out nicely but 2.00Kg? Way too much.

TP

G'day again, fashionably late as usual,

I was going to do a bit of a blend of dry wheat/light dry barley malt and use the grain mostly for colour and a little body/flavour.

The recipe would be something like...

1kg LD Wheat ext
500G LD Barley ext
2kg caramel wheat
25g (ish german noble hops)
wyeast (one of the bavarian hefe yeasts)
23L volume

Im not exactly going for a prefect dunkel clone but something along those lines.

... use the grain mostly for colour and a little body/flavour.

... 2kg caramel wheat
Yuh huh - that will give you more than a little body/sweetness; probably too much. 'cara' grains (crystal) don't ferment, so it's all still there at the end. As I said above, 250g - 500g should do it. Did you copy that recipe from somewhere? Ignore if you choose.

If i was to do a mash instead of a steep would that help at all?

If i was to do a mash instead of a steep would that help at all?

I think you might be confused about the differences between mashing and steeping.

Steeping is soaking crystal malts in hot water to extract the sugar that is already there.

Where mashing is soaking base malts (which contain starches and enzymes, not sugars) in water between 60 and 70 degrees celsius to allow the enzymes to convert the starches into sugar.

What you are planning on doing is steeping, and as the others above have stated you are using way to much crystal malts for most peoples liking.

There is only one way to figure out whether or not you like that much crystal in your beers, and that is to go ahead with your recipe.

But I think most people (schooey aside) would advise you against using 2Kg in a 23L batch.

Thanks for the heads up,

Otherwise i would have had a dunkel alcopop-weizen, doesnt sound too appealing to me.

Latest posts

Back