Red Ale Partial Mash Stovetop

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrabbyPatty

Reaction score
So I have a stovetop and up until now my brews have all been with a kit in a can and a partial grain mash, some additional hops and a purchased yeast. Today I went to the brew shop to grab some stuff before it is all shut up and I am at a bit of a loss as to a decent recipe with it. I decided to not go for the standard kit but instead after asking the guy there left with 2 kg of Bestmalz Red X, 2 kg of Light Malt Powder, 100g of Galaxy and Kolsch style ale yeast. I have a 10 L stock pot that I have previously been using to do the steeping/partial mash brews, but the electric stove can be a bit wild with respect to temperature stability. I also have some leftover chocolate malt from the stout I made earlier in the year, but that would likely be a bit much.

I am basically looking for suggestions for this brew. I was thinking of using this as a guideline (https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/306842/galaxy-red-x-smash) but I am unsure when I would add the light malt powder and how I would alter the hopping bill considering I only have the 100g of galaxy.

Thanks for the help!

This is what I have come up with so far:
23L brew

• 2kg of Red X

• 2kg light malt powder

• 100 g Galaxy

• kolsch ale yeast
I will take the brew in a bag approach and put the 2 kg of Red in a folded cheesecloth and 7 L of water. I will also try using a sous vide for the mash as it will probably hold temp better than my stove. According to this a protein rest prior is good for the malt. Strike in at about 53 degC and hold for 30 min (the protein rest I assume), raise to around 63 degC for 30 min and then 72 degC and hold for 30 min. Remove the grain bag, add the 2 kg light malt powder and 20 g of Galaxy as FWH, allow to steep for 10 min. Boil for 60 min. Add 10 g of hops at the start of the boil, 10g at the 50 min mark and then 20 g at the end of the boil, then circulate for 60 min as it cools down. Remove the hops, pour into fermenter and fill up to 20-23L, aiming for OG of about 1.053. Add yeast and ferment for 7 days, dry hopping with 40 g at the 7 day mark for an additional 7 days.

Latest posts

Back