Lauter Helix.

Discussion in 'Gear and Equipment' started by wide eyed and legless, 2/7/17.

1. wide eyed and legless

Posted 29/11/17
    I wouldn't go stretching it wobbly, the tighter the coils the better, and that amount of hops would be no bother, when I empty mine the flow is more or less constant. On Ealing Drop's photo it looks like the spring isn't all the way in, but I don't know why that would make a difference.

2. wobbly

Home Page:
    Posted 29/11/17
    BDD's use in the video of a connector on the end of the spring that would then slide into the Tee piece would be a good option as a permanent addition as it would make installing and removing the helix a breeze

Wobbly

3. wide eyed and legless

Posted 29/11/17
    That is just a reducer he is using to demonstrate, if you wanted an easier option you could try silicone tube which fits in both ends, but it is easy if you twist the coil the same way as it is wound to reduce the diameter.

4. Black Devil Dog

Posted 30/11/17
    BDD's use in the video of a connector on the end of the spring that would then slide into the Tee piece would be a good option as a permanent addition as it would make installing and removing the helix a breeze

Wobbly, you could use a copper capillary connector and a short length of copper tubing to connect to the 'T'piece.

I had to cut mine to fit around the elements and re-joined it using 2 capillary connectors and some copper tube. the tube slips in and out very easily.

If I was doing it again, instead of cutting it, I'd connect using 1 capillary connector and tubing to the 'T' piece.

5. clarkie54

Posted 1/12/17
    Yeh BM20. I was having results similar to yours, not quite as bad tho. More 40 mins. So I took it out in frustration but thought I’ll try it again with the original tap. I have a conical too so was prepared to go without.

I mainly hop stand with my immersion chiller. Brew brite at 10 mins. So chill to 80, take out IC then whirlpool with hops for half hour, add the chiller back and everything is settling while chilling.

A few things. When I installed the helix back in I did make sure it wasn’t too tight as I think that could be a problem. E.g I raised it a cm or so opposite to the tap to lengthen the diameter a bit, insert it as far as I could into the copper join etc. When whirlpooling stir around the middle stalk as close as possible, not out as far as the electric coil. The tap I think helps so it doesn’t suck the whirlpooled trub back to the coil.

All up 5 - 10 mins to fill the conical, even tho the original tap doesn’t flow as much as a ball valve. My 2c and hopefully I keep getting the same results.

6. Black Devil Dog

Posted 1/12/17
    Good that you've got it sorted.
    I don't know what difference the original tap would make compared to a ball valve though. Sure, the flow is slower with the original, but if you only half open the ball valve, that would be similar. I use a ball valve with mine and it works fine.
    Where you stir whirlpool shouldn't affect it either, I wouldn't think. As long as you get a strong vortex, the trub should settle in the centre.

7. EalingDrop

Posted 1/12/17
    Thanks for that. I've just gone and cut it bit shorter, so it's a much smoother circle. The basics from what I gather is to reduce any straight sections as we need as much curvature as possible. Helix Cut to fit.jpg

8. Matthias HOSSFELD

Posted 12/1/18
    Hi there downunder!
    This is Matthias, (the "Matt" from "MattMill"). I am new in this forum.
    I am the inventor of the Lauterhelix Läuterhexe and I am "delighted" to see my babies here again.

Jack of all biers and nosco like this.
  9. Jack of all biers

Posted 12/1/18
    Meister des werbungen/marketing! Na, Matthias!

Ich mag's :bigcheers:

Last edited: 12/1/18
  10. Matthias HOSSFELD

Posted 13/1/18
    Sorry for appearing marketing-concentrated!
    But I am just happy, my babies seem to find friends on the oposite side of the globe! Some years ago, I'd never believe in this.
    :cheers:

Black Devil Dog likes this.
  11. Jack of all biers

Posted 14/1/18
    Understandable mate (Kumpel). I'd be pleased if I were you too. ;)