Lauter Helix.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I'm a professional designer, developer and also a bit of an inventor.
Seeing problems and finding a solution is my daily bread.
I have realized that it is practical to be able to lauter directly from a heated kettle.
Before Läuter Helix existed, many craftsmen used the filigran, weak stainless steel mesh of high-pressure hoses and made a lauter filter with all kinds of fittings and hose clamps from all materials.
Hydraulic hoses, for example brake hoses have a wire spiral. This inspired me and I built and tested prototypes and after many tests I made them ready for series production.
An astonishingly simple and economical system, sustainable, durable and easy to clean and install. You can use an agitator and heat it in the boiler without heat build-up and burning, mash it and then remove it.
Yes, when you see the finished result, it was and after all it appears of course very simple.
And yet I am proud. It's my baby. And of course I don't like it when my idea is stolen and copied to make money in low-wage countries.
Me and my family live off my own work without stealing. I'd like to go on that way.
Unfortunately I have not the money to pay lawers worldwide for protecting my ideas and developments. Anyway it whould be a fight against windmills.

I wouldn't be getting to cut about it Matthias, as I said its only a expansion spring, anyone can buy one buy the elbow or tee piece and away they go. But credit where credit is due when most were going down the path of hop socks, hop spiders, false bottoms you went with the spring, so good on you Matthias. Maybe it should rightfully be known as the Hossfeld Filter.

China, the originals are sold here but costs $95 let me know if you want one.

Can you PM me the price. Not trying to be a cheap *******, just deciding how much more cutting and shutting I want to do with my current rig or build different system from scratch.

WEAL, can you please PM the price. Thinking of getting some for my 70L boiling kettle.

I have noticed, and it has been mentioned before the air getting trapped in the helix, my last brew I didn't open the valve at the start which I normally do. When I came to take a hydrometer reading opened the valve and out came some air and clear water, so the water doesn't get into the mix of the mash so it goes to prove how efficient the helix is. The change I made was to change the elbow to a capillary elbow to make the helix easier to fit. Same photo as the last one tried to make it bigger.
001.JPG

You're wasting a huge percentage of the spring filter by leaving it straight. Use a Tee instead of that elbow to force the straight section into a curve to open it up more and also to aid in draining.

Also, not every extension spring is the same - if this idea were as simple as just getting a spring and sticking some filters on it, I invite anyone to find the correct spring. Not as easy as you might think. Given pots of different diameters, performance will also be affected by the gauge of the wire - every spring will have an idea bend radius range to open it up an appropriate amount.

I bought one of Matthias springs (from US distributor) because it's tested and came in at a decent price that simply made it not worth trying to source and verify some other substitute myself.

BAC in Italy also offer some nice springs with their own custom fittings including designs specifically for Braumeister.

A tee piece is fine if the outlet is low in the kettle, the reason for going with the elbow is so it forms a siphon effect. As you can see in the above picture it drains well even with a straight section. The wire dia and the coil diameter is the same as the Matthias Lauter Helix, the manufacturers will make them out of whichever material wire gauge and dia requested.

Weal I think I might try the elbow rather than the T piece, whats the size I need to look for. Cheers

I have noticed, and it has been mentioned before the air getting trapped in the helix, my last brew I didn't open the valve at the start which I normally do. When I came to take a hydrometer reading opened the valve and out came some air and clear water, so the water doesn't get into the mix of the mash so it goes to prove how efficient the helix is. The change I made was to change the elbow to a capillary elbow to make the helix easier to fit. Same photo as the last one tried to make it bigger.
View attachment 111676
What is this and where do I get one, looks bloody awsome.

I used mine for the first time today, great piece of kit. I had the tap at half throttle and it was finished in about 10 mins.

cheers
steve

Tried the new elbow this weekend and remembered to Whirlpool!! Fantastic result drained 21L in few minutes.

Not the greatest photo here but very happy with the result, the best drain so far

Attachments

• IMG_20180414_173446674-1024x768.jpg
    IMG_20180414_173446674-1024x768.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 231
Did a brew yesterday and nothing would come out of the tap, tried FarsideOfCrazy's idea put a fish slice between a coil and hey presto started to empty, don't know if it is trapped air or what, but a trick to keep in mind.

Latest posts

Back