Latest Cider Blend

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats interesting Johnno, i did a batch in PET when i first started brewing, did some in glass and some in pet, and the ones in PET have off flavours, and the ones in glass are fine. Both were sterilized in the same wash. Other cider brewers i know in the UK have reported the same thing, so dunno, but I'll always stick to glass from now on.

this a link to a page that can explain a bit better then i can.
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/a...lea/bottles.htm

I spent over half an hour today in bunnings looking for the filters you mentioned. But of course stupid me was looking around the plumbing/water filter section, not iriigation....grrr!

oh well, I'm sure I'll find it next time.

PS. are these filters reusable, or single use only?

Chimay

Do i need to say anything..... :p

I am going to boldly display my total lack of class as a boorish and unsophisticated phillistine but I don't care: I made a bloody good scrumpy with cloudy apple juice and a sprinkle of yeast, whacked an oztops lid on it and let it ferment out. Bewdifully yummy. Dry but not puckering. Tasty and alcoholic. Most importantly, extremely quick and easy.

I'm sure yours craps all over mine from a great height, pr1me. But for easy cider, oztops is a good option and pretty tasty too. So much better than strongbow or any of those "ciders".

But I might add some grape juice next time as an experiment.

I agree deebee, oztops does make a nice drop, and I do them regularly along side my other cider. I was more interested though in experimentation though with this drop, and trying different methods and ingredients, working out some of the science of how cider is different from beer brewing. The cider itself was a side issue, a tasty one albeit. :-D

Instead of the grape juice im eventually going to try a leg of pork in the traditional method. Might do this with a larger fermenter rather then a small 30l.

when you do the pork thing, just dont tell anybody. I'm sure lots of people would be put off! Hell, I even neglected to tell my vegan friend that the recipie has honey in it, whihc is still a long way from pork :)

Pr1me

Better not let any jewish people drink the porky cider...

Unless you want to tell them Porkies! :D

barfridge said:
Hell, I even neglected to tell my vegan friend that the recipie has honey in it, whihc is still a long way from pork :)
You knew your friend was vegan, you knew they didn't eat honey yet you still served them a honey beer???? What a good mate! Would you quietly slip them a pork cider too?

Veganism is unethical, unnatural and ecologically unsustainable. They've got it coming to them.

Yeah. they should all be quietly slipped the pork sword.

It wasnt quite that underhanded pomo.
The conversation went something along the lines of:

them: this cider you're brewing sounds fantastic
me: yeah, sounds pretty good, but I wont mention that its got bee poo in it
them: yes, please dont mention that, if I dont know that I'll be able to drink it *nudge nudge* #wink wink#
me: say no more!

She's a strange sort, uses all sorts of tricks to convince herself of things. She then prceeded to rationalise along the lines of 'its not like taking honey harms the bees in any way, its not like any get killed'.

She's a conscientious vegan, has no objection to others eating meat, she'll even cook meat and tofu together in the same pan.

...have I dug myself out of the hole yet???

Sorry, I didn't read your post that way.

Vegans are a little hardcore. I'm a demi-vegetarian (no mammals, birds, amphibians or reptiles in my diet), so I sympathise with their ethics somewhat. Knowing that there was honey in the brew, drinking it anyway... no sympathy from me now. :)

yarr! enough girly talk, back to talking about manly things!

<scratches self>
so...how about that local footy team?

*scratches nuts*

Yar, Excellent second half...

*wanders off to opposite side of room*

Pomo,

All respect and no offence intended. I am convinced that veganism is a viable alternative to eating Coles' feral cow squished between polystyrene and plastic. I was just stunned at the realisation that they refuse honey. Its gets you thinking - is yeast a vegetable or animal? Doesn't it make alcohol? Where do you stop? Are they allowed to use animal manure on their cabbage patch?

Errrrh... I mean, check out the tits on that one.

No offense taken, deebee. I find many people have weird opinions about vegetarianism - usually I think it's to justify their own dietary preferences... if you can't defend your own position, attack the opposite. Effective means to obfuscate the real argument... so anyway, I try not to impose my beliefs on anyone else and just ignore wild generalisations.

Yeast is a fungus, if I'm not mistaken. Quite OK to use that.
I don't use gelatine based finings (nor any at all for that matter, but I wouldn't use it if given the chance.

I do eat fish, crustacea, molluscs, free range eggs and dairy products (preferably without rennet). Basically I draw a line thru the animal kingdom dividing those creatures that I believe to be self-aware and choose not to kill or eat any creature on the same side of the line as me (killing of rodents, rats and other household vermin excepted).

There are various levels of vegetarianism ranging from demi's like me to pure veganism. Some do eat honey and still call themselves vegan, because it's easier to say than "vegan honey eater". Level 5 veganism - eat nothing that casts a shadow.

*cough/scratch/ogle passing female office worker/slurp coffee*

Has anyone made a cider from fresh apples alone? My dad has a farmer friend who can get me lots of apples for about 50c/Kg. What's the process for making cider from raw apples? I read a thread somewhere where they were cooked and reduced then recombined with water and... it seemed too complicated. Can I just skin, chop and pulverise them, then combine with sugar or malt solution boiled with yeast nutrients and pitch champagne yeast, maybe racking off the pulp after a few days or something?

PoMo

Why not buy an electric juicer - run them through that - then boil the juice with some spices - clove, cinamon, nutmeg and some malt.

NO HONEY...

Buy the wyeast cider yeast or go for a pinot noir or if you want a high alcohol liqueur cider - go for Zinfadel yeast - upto 18% yeast tolerance.

Hope this helps

What is the purpose of the boiling? To drive of rogue yeast and enzymes in the apples?

I've heard of people just letting spontaneous fermentation take place. Doesn't seem controlled or necessarily sanitary to me.

Yeah. they should all be quietly slipped the pork sword.

He who lives by the pork dies by the pork? Being porked to death... i could live with that... infact thats how I planned to go anyway!

PostModern said:
Has anyone made a cider from fresh apples alone? My dad has a farmer friend who can get me lots of apples for about 50c/Kg. What's the process for making cider from raw apples? I read a thread somewhere where they were cooked and reduced then recombined with water and... it seemed too complicated. Can I just skin, chop and pulverise them, then combine with sugar or malt solution boiled with yeast nutrients and pitch champagne yeast, maybe racking off the pulp after a few days or something?
If you want to make reall 100% traditional scrumpy you can use an apple press, keep in mind as little metal as possible should be involved.

This website is a treasure trove if you want to make traditional scrumpy using whole apples.

Wittenham Cider Site

Explains methods, equipment everything.

And yes you can boil to get rid of the wild yeasts, or you can risk it with them in the brew, I risk it now days because I havent had a bad result.. YET.. :)

Latest posts

Back