How much dextrose and lactose to add to cider?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler38

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am about to do my second batch of cider (23 litres), my first was from a Mangrove Jacks pouch, but this one will be using Coles Apple Juice. I have mangrove jacks m02cider yeast and will be fermenting at 20 degrees. My questions are
1- to get around 8-9% abv how much extra dextrose should I add to the fermentation?
2- when I want to semi-sweeten it at the end, how much lactose should I add, and will the taste before bottling be roughly the taste after sitting in the bottles for a few weeks to get an idea of taste?

thanks

If you look at the nutrient panel on the side of the bottle.
1620438255788.png

Note the -sugars in the per 100 mL coulomb.

In this case its 9.5g/100mL or 95g/L play around with the equation
Mass of extract = Volume * SG* oP and you get
OG of 1.036656 and a oP (Plato) of 9.164
If we assume that the Cider would finish with an FG around 1.000
The alcohol content would be (Change in gravity in points/7.5, 36.656/7.5) 4.88%
If you want 9% ABV you need a change in gravity of (9=Change/7.5 or 9*7.5=67.5, you have 36.656 in the juice so you need to add 30.844 (well call it 31 points).
To add 31 points we need to be adding (from above equation) its close to 80g/L of fermentable sugar.
Remember that Dextrose is only 91% sugar balance is water so we need to add about 88g/L

Can’t comment on the Lactose as that is just a matter of personal taste, add some and see if its enough. Dialling in the pH to around 4.1pH will make the cider taste a lot fuller and apply.
Mark

Thats just really quick fingercounting, havent double checked or anything but its close.
M

Latest posts

Back