Lagering ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fritzables

Reaction score
Howd'y All,

I have put a larger down during last weekend and I guess I would like to confirm my lagering methodology.

I boiled up the mix and added the little extras - then cooled it down as quickly as I could.

Initial fermentation occurred at around 15C which I left for 2 days, I then placed the fermenter into a fridge to bring the temp down to around 10C where it will stay for the next 2 weeks.

After the two weeks I will then siphon into a second fermenter and place back into the fridge at about 5C for a further 3 weeks prior to botterling.

Am I close to the mark or way off ??

Fritzables.

Hi Fritz (why do I feel like I'm not being politically correct calling you that?)

Your schedule is ok, but the only thing I would say is that before you bring your temperture down from 10C to 5C you will need to be absolutely sure it has finished fermenting (you may get bottle bombs otherwise). So i don't think there should be a hard and fast rule of "2weeks at 10C" but rather it should be "at 10C until it has reached FG".

What yeast are you planning on using?

I agree with phonos, leave until reached FG. I leave my warmer fermented ales etc for 2 weeks as a standard and lagers for 3 (I had one that kept dropping slowly for 4 weeks).

Other than that your schedule looks good. you might want to throw a 2or3 day diacetyl rest in there before you bottle/keg (ie bring up to 18C or so for 2-3 days). check out this thread on diacetyl is your not familiar with it

Quick Question,

So After Largering, It is just a simple process of bottling how you normally would if you hadn't bothered with the largering process. right?
so sugar in the bottle, and then it still needs the time for carbination to occur,

Just after a bit of clarification.

Quick Question,

So After Largering, It is just a simple process of bottling how you normally would if you hadn't bothered with the largering process. right?
so sugar in the bottle, and then it still needs the time for carbination to occur,

Just after a bit of clarification.
yep. lagering is basicly just about conditioning your beer and getting yucky particles to 'drop' out of your beer [correct me if im wrong guys].

so after lagering (or not lagering) just bottle as per usual. also just to keep in mind, if you bottle the beer and the temp is really cold it will take longer to carb up as the yeast that left in the bottle will be inactive. but its no issue, it just takes longer.

Thanks everyone - this has been a great help. I checked the SG today and it's now down to 1020 where it started off at around 1035 so I guess I am halfway through.

I have noticed that the temp has krept down to about 7-8C which I assume has been there for about 3 days now.

I will bring it back up to 10C for the remainder until I get around 1010 then syphon then perform the 2nd stage at around 4C for 3 weeks (looks as though this maybe the magic number).

I chose the S-23 as the yeast. Used two.

For god sake..... don't ask how I aquired the name Fritz...... a very long story. May take a few beers to get through actually :)

Initial fermentation occurred at around 15C which I left for 2 days, I then placed the fermenter into a fridge to bring the temp down to around 10C where it will stay for the next 2 weeks.

Fritzables.

Fritz - Next time I'd advise bringing the temp down 1st or drop immediately after pitching to 10c. The early stages are crucial, so don't really understand why, when you have temperature control, you brewed it so high (15c) for 2 days. Should still be fine though :)

cheers Ross

Fritz - Next time I'd advise bringing the temp down 1st or drop immediately after pitching to 10c. The early stages are crucial, so don't really understand why, when you have temperature control, you brewed it so high (15c) for 2 days. Should still be fine though :)

cheers Ross

G'Day Ross,

I guess my logic was to ensure the thing is bubbling well at 15C meaning that the yeast has a good hold before dropping the temp - I take it there is no need for me to stuff around like that ??

Fritz

Back