Lager Suggestions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoser

Reaction score
So I'm headed home to Canada for Christmas in December and have a chance to leave 2 or 3 lagers conditioning at 1 or 2 degrees in my fermentation fridge for 5-6 weeks. I'm planning on brewing on Saturday 5th November and transferring to secondary late November to leave lagering until around 10th January. Sooooooo.... I figure I have a chance to make some nice lagers that I wouldn't otherwise have a chance to do without killing the space in my fridge.

So I'm looking for suggestions on recipes and styles. I figure I can really do any style I like with a full 8-10wk ferment/conditioning period. Right now I'm considering a Doppelbock and maybe a German Pils but I thought I'd throw it out there. If you were in my lucky situation what would you brew?
:beer:

molson-dry2.gif

:lol:

Nah - I'd do a Boh Pils. That hanka grain and that saaz are magic.

Nah - I'd do a Boh Pils. That hanka grain and that saaz are magic.
Ditto in a Munich Helles. 100% FM Boh Pils, decoction, 23- 25IBU Saaz, 10- 12C for a decent lager strain: :icon_drool2: Simple as, but slow and should really have you wetting yourself in anticipation come January.

Thanks guys. Love the Molson Dry shot - as bad as the beer is! I did a Boh Pils and it was awesome. Munich Helles sounds like a good go though. What do you recommend for mashing temp / decoction step?

Cheers,
d

Keep the decoction simple, so protein rest at 50C, single decoction to a fairly low saccharification temp of 64 or 65C. You can do a mashout decoction but its not really worth the bother IMO.
Get the Floor- Malted Bohemian Pilsner malt if you can (from Weyermann), it is worth every cent and adds a whole other dimension of malty flavour to the Helles which the ordinary Pilsner malts just don't seem to provide, IMO they're often disappointing after going to the effort and of course the time it takes, whereas the top shelf stuff seldom disappoints.
HTH! :icon_cheers:

I think I prefer the non floor malted Wey Bohemican Pilsner.

Latest posts

Back