Lael's Braumiser build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's actually a really good idea! So basically a piece of tube with the same diameter as the wing but, and then slide it over the thread and the spacer tightens down onto the locking bar. I like it!

About to see if the second pot I bought yesterday has rusted after sitting overnight with water in it... and then figuring out how to get the pots together after cutting the bottom out. Pay $50, check if the pot is any good and then cut it up... I question my sanity a little every time...

I can't believe that I missed this thread, I am happy to finally see your build lael. Great job! I am guessing that it was worth the blood sweat and tears.

Well... the insanity continues...

I finally got the larger malt pipe working - and at the same time have been debating what to do.... I had a problem I never imagined I would - the center thread on my original system wasn't long enough!!!
I originally bought double of parts cause a friend said he was going to build a system too. He pulled out (he didn't tell me to buy the parts, it just seemed to make sense). Soo... I as contemplating using them as an excuse to build a larger system... so... hey... why not... lol.

Behold the BrauMonster! I'm not sure exactly what the practical limits are - but it can do roughly 80L of 1.055 into the fermenter (this is a smurto's below) and can comfortably mash around 17.5KG of grain (fluidisation of 2.8L/kg), I'm guessing I could squeeze in 18kg or so... though there is not much reason to. Minimum water level for it to work is around 65L without grain, and with max grain bill around 50L - I haven't tried to max the OG in practice yet.

Got the stand built from a stainless shop I've developed a good relationship with and am getting the same built for the Brau'Mini' above. I'll post pics of that one once it is complete.

Hmmm... can't upload photos...? - Upload Skipped (Error IO) - suggestions?

laelsbraumonster01.jpg

measuring up the locations to cut using the fascia from superoo

laelsbraumonster02.jpg
double checking the hole locations before drilling... ( I didn't do this last time and have a few double holes :( on the other controller)

laelsbraumonster03.jpg
measuring out 17.5kgs grain for an 80L batch... nuts, but awesome.

laelsbraumonster04.jpg
rigged up a double pulley based on BribieG's work - thanks!

laelsbraumonster05.jpg
laelsbraumonster06.jpg
Mash - In and starting to clear up 30mins later

laelsbraumonster07.jpg
malt pipe lifted and sparging :)

Some detail shots:

The system:

laelsbraumonster10.jpg

Plumbing:
laelsbraumonster09.jpg
I wanted to recirculate during cooling to increase speed of cooling (found out my immersion chiller is probably inadequate for 80L batches...) so I modified the design from my previous version's plumbing. One valve for flow control, and the T valve provides choice of pumping straight out, up through the malt pipe, or both - but doesn't provide flow control at all. I run the wort straight out and back into the side tap which has an elbow inside the pot for whirlpooling. Hose clamps to seal it - easy and happy to save $45 over buying quick disconnects. I'm thinking about mounting the controller on the same side as the valve access.

Malt Pipe:
laelsbraumonster08.jpg

The pot - in a pot - malt pipe. These pots do not taper at all (a good thing for trying to extend the malt pipe). The trick was to cut the slits into the second pot pretty far up into the pot so that the metal can flex gently. I tried to get it to work with about an inch cut, and it didn't go well - ended up bending the flaps so they aren't as neat as they could be. About 2 inches / 5cm and it slides in much more easily. Mallet required for the last cm or so. Seals really well nearly the whole way around.

All in all a smashing success - very very happy with the result - a system that has larger capacity than a Brau, with greater flexibility. Downsides - I would really like to have separate malt pipes as the scratching of the friction is showing up the cheapness of the pots (have rusted in spots and require cleaning). The controller on this one also experienced some screen scrambling during the brew which was annoying - so I might swap out the other controller next time I brew and see if the same thing happens - I'm assuming it is something about the controller build at this point. The temp probe failed at the end - so it might be related to that...

Mate that is awesome... makes me wish I wasn't completely useless with my hands!

Do you mind if I ask how much it's set you back, dollar-wise so far?

Nice work Lael. I am hoping to finally get my brau-meiser up and working over the break. Just need to find some spare time to finish off the inner pipe. Think I have the sealing. Just need to work out the bottom filter. Am thinking I will just cut a bunch of slots in the bottom of a Big W pot and see how that goes filtering. Would certainly make the system much easier to build. I know QldKev has done this for his single vessel system.

It's great to see someone produce a working inner pipe extension. It's a shame that the Big W pots taper, so I am figuring on mating the tops together to extend the malt pipe and will cut the bottom off the top one.

That is indeed a brau-monster. :super:

At some point I will build a bigger system as it would be nice to nail out a couple of cubes per brew instead of just one cube. It's hard to find time to brew with an 18 month old and another one due in a couple of months is not going to make it any easier.

Have been doing a few kit beers and they just aren't the same as AG.

Thanks Guys! It certainly is satisfying to see something you designed come to completion from a spreadsheet model to a reality :)

Angus - you can probably find some straight pots somewhere close to you for a price that is not too far off the price that Big W charge and then do something similar to what I did.

Honestly - the extra cost in upgrading a brau-clone to a larger system is fairly minimal. The main costs are an over the side element, extending the malt pipe, and sorting out a rig to lift the now crazy heavy malt pipe. You still need the same filter plates, the same pump (kaixin for me) and a controller... if you are spending 7 hours on a brew (that is what i find it takes me... I might be able to get it lower with some practice) then it makes sense to make enough to share. The big cost is your time, not the ingredients (unless you mess it up... ).

Appreciate all the compliments and happy to help anyone getting started on the process.

Costs - I did a breakdown on the original before I built the stand. I think the total for both systems is significantly under buying a 50L Braumeister... I'll do some more maths on it in the next few days to add it up properly. It does take a fair whack of time to put it all together though. I probably spent the most time looking for parts etc - which is why I posted the spreadsheet I did in the controller thread. Just realise that a) It will save you money b) depending on time you put in and c) objectives / quality you want it still won't be 'cheap'... but the build quality will show... for better or for worse :)

See: http://aussiehomebre...14#entry1117162

Bizier said:
Isn't that the picture of a Chinese moon landing?

Awesome work mate.
He he he :)

Shhh! Don't tell anyone! I got paid a lot of money for those photos! ;)

Most definitely going to have to see this gear in action, great work, and top quality finish.

MB

Great work on the monster lael, just wondering if you could let me know where you got the 36cm tall malt pipe pots from and what are the specs on the perforated sheet from M&S and what it was worth?

Cheers,
Steve.

Hi Lael

Wow nice unit!

I too am interested on the mesh details from MS. I contacted them and still waiting for reply.

James

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks guys! The malt pipes are about 35cm tall and 33ID. The outside of the rolled lip is 35cm.. Sold as a 35x35 ;) but it works well for me. They are cheap stainless pots from a Chinese grocery diagonally opposite paddy markets in Sydney. Got another one recently for 55. A neodymium magnet will stick to them... so not true stainless. But I haven't had too many issues with them rusting.

I've ordered some tall pots off aliexpress to try to have a single tall malt pipe. Not sure how the experiment will work out yet. Supposed to be 35cmD x 60cm high.

The stainless perf is 2mm thick, 3mm holes. Standard pitch - I think 5mm. Solid as a rock. That said I haven't pushed it like I did with the big w pot, but also haven't needed to with the capacity that the system has.

The other thing that is different with the larger vs the smaller system is the bain Marie dividers are the longer ones, which are also thicker than the shorter ones, which I recommend. I used an angle grinder to cut them to size.

Really nice work.

I'm curious as to how difficult the controller was to make.

I'm pretty sure that I could build the rest, but the controller would leave me stumped.

If I could buy a controller I'd have a crack at building one of these.

Cheers
Andy

Oh, the perf was an offcut. They wanted 150, I negotiated 100 - its for beer! :)

I found them MUCH more helpful if you front up in person. that said.. Stainless perf is just expensive esp. Thick, and 2mm is worth it for longevity.

Cervantes said:
Really nice work.

I'm curious as to how difficult the controller was to make.

I'm pretty sure that I could build the rest, but the controller would leave me stumped.

If I could buy a controller I'd have a crack at building one of these.

Cheers
Andy
Where are you based? Someone may help put the controller together for you....

Back