Lael's Braumiser build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Andy, its a good question. I would say the fear of messing up and intimidation is greater than the problems of actually building it. Reading over the build docs carefully and understanding how the system / electrics work should eliminate most issues.

Measure twice, cut once :)

My first controller has holes in the wrong spot for the screws on the front. I don't notice anymore, and its still my fave, but that is why I recommend using superoo's fascia as a template for cutting and drilling.

I agree the controller build could be daunting for some of us. I am electronics engineer so that bit is half easy building the board etc but I am a hardware person and not been any good at software since BASIC on the ZX80.

Building the box with holes and drilling stainless is more scary! But gotta try it for the love of beer.

I am in Sydney but would be happy to assist in building a controller.

Tough bit at the moment is sourcing the mesh and top bottom perforated plates. But then only started ordering the pots etc about 3 weeks ago.

Cheers

James

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm doing a brew day on sat. If anyone wants to come and see the system in action, PM me and I'll get in touch.

Nice offer lael, solid effort.

Zwitter if you hear back from m&s and are interested in splitting some perforated sheet let me know.

Cheers,
Steve.

Spent the day with Lael brewing a Belgian, and tasting a few, and trying some really awesome smoked ribs. Absolutely great brew day and great to see an AG system making the process so simple. Cheers to a great host :beerbang:

Mmmmmm ribs... Thanks for coming along masters. An awesome day. Quadruppel in 6 months? ;)

Hi Lael,

Got a kit off you a couple months back, thought I would show you a couple of pics of the system I have just completed. Its a 36 ltr outer pot and 17 ltr inner. I wanted to remove the central metal rod, so Im using a locking bar that slides through the wall of the outer pot to hold down the lid of the inner. All I have to do now is drill a butt load of holes in the lid to it will act like a top filter plate.

Bottom of the inner pot has a large hole cut in it and a piece of stainless acting as a filter attached to the base with counter sunk screws, this way the base of the pot sits flush on a silicone baking mat I cut to size. Do you think I will get any problems from only having a small bottom filter?

All electronics are mounted in the box (clear lid, no need for cutouts for screen or LEDs, just buttons) and high temp epoxy seals all around with all connectors on the bottom to reduce chances of water ingress.

All plumbing fittings are 1/2" BSP 316 grade stainless with high temp plumbers tape used to create seals, got BSP unions on both the skin fittings to allow plumbing to be removed as a single item if cleaning is necessary. Ball valve on pump output to regulate flow. Ran leak tests over Easter, all looks good but given the volume and only a 2.2kW element she takes a while to heat up. Might need a drop in heater for the startup phase I reckon.

You seem to be "in the know" when it comes to Brauduino rigs so I thought I would ask for some feedback. Anyway, thanks for the hardware, and if you have any recipe recommendations for a first time brewer I would love to hear them. I built this beast, now I just need to figure out how to use it properly!

Cheers,

Steve

Unit.jpg
Internals.jpg
Plumbing.jpg
Malt%20pipe.jpg
Locking.jpg

Nice build. Good to see someone went ahead with a top clamping system. I was originally going to do that but can't remember why I changed my mind. Probably easier to use the threaded rod I suppose.

I found a decent decrease in ramp times and increase of boil vigour by adding some cheap camp mats from BCF for insulation purposes. I ended up having to cut the bottom out of a cheap stainless bowl to decrease the surface area at the top of my pot to get a good decent rolling boil going, I have a 2400W heating element in a 50L pot so around the same ratio as your pot.

I reckon you might run the risk of wort channelling straight up through the grain with the small filter at the bottom. Most of the builds have a much bigger bottom filter so you might like to increase that area. But I've only done 2 batches on my build and only about 6 or 7 AG batches so relatively inexperienced. The problem is that you can't see through the inner pot to see what is going on. ha ha...

lael said:
I'm doing a brew day on sat. If anyone wants to come and see the system in action, PM me and I'll get in touch.
I can scrape the coin together and get to the Perth Airport okay my end, but could you buy me a plane ticket (I'd prefer Qantas but even Jetstar would do at a pinch as it's a public holiday on Friday) and arrange a cab or pick me up at yours. I'd also be fine sleeping on your sofa for Friday and Saturday nights, however I'd like to be back in Perth by late Sunday night as I've got an early start at work on Monday, so no Red Eye specials please just too save a few bucks on tickets. Also please could you pay for the tickets using a Visa Card so I can email you my Flybuy details so I can score a few extra points on the side.

Cheers :beer:

Initially Deevotronics I would agree with Angus but thinking about it that should be fine, because all you grain will lift up away from the outlet and the pressure should equalise if not just put a wire mesh on the bottom of the grain pot.

real_beer said:
I can scrape the coin together and get to the Perth Airport okay my end, but could you buy me a plane ticket...
Cheers :beer:
Hmmm, maybe a video is in order :)

Steve, Cool idea! I would like to see someone really nail a top clamping system. how are you sealing the malt pipe?

lael said:
Hmmm, maybe a video is in order :)
I really must learn to take more notice of the dates on posts :blink:. There's just so many of these build threads going on they all just seem to blur into one as you flick between them all. A video sounds a great idea.

lael said:
Steve, Cool idea! I would like to see someone really nail a top clamping system. how are you sealing the malt pipe?
You can see in the second pic a blue disc in the centre which is a 20cm silicon pie dish with the walls cut off. The malt pipe sits on this then is held down via top clamp made from 4mm stainless.

Doing a run today if I can find a grain mill for a decent price

About to do a simiar build myself. What would be the recommended pot sizes for doing double batches, 50l Max?

About to start ordering parts :)

This might be a little off topic but who better to ask than a skilled Brau-builder - it concerns an alternative method of sealing the bottom of the malt pipe.
I've got a mate who can roll and weld some stainless into a malt pipe (or two) and I was thinking of using the following EDPM seals from Clark Rubber for the bottom seal rather than go for the silicone tubing method used on the Big-W Pots.

727.jpg

http://www.clarkrubber.com.au/epdm-boot-rubber-medium-pinchweld-with-top-bulb-24mm-x-14mm-41.html

Can anyone see a problem with my plans? the EDPM rubber is rated up to 130 degrees C and is used for roofing membranes as it doesn't leach into captured rainwater.

Latest posts

Back