Krausen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricardo

Reaction score
I brewed a Belgian Imperial Porter yesterday with an OG of 1.080 and used 3 packs (manufactured 12th Sep) of Wyeast Ardennes in a 1 litre starter with stir plate. There was nothing out of the ordinary with the starter but when I checked on the beer 18 hours later the Krausen was shooting down the blow off tube as in photo. I'm using temperature control and fermenting at 72 Fahrenheit which is mid range for the yeast. Never used this yeast before is this normal and do I need to clean the tube and water, are there now sanitisation issues?

20131116_135241.jpg

Just leave it. The pressure from the CO2 will keep the nasties out. Make sure you have enough water in your blow off bottle to cover the end of the tube

I was more making light of the Fahrenheit reference. :p

Embrace the metric system. It makes sense.

I was more making light of the Fahrenheit reference. :p

Embrace the metric system. It makes sense.
There are 1.8 Fahrenheit to 1 Celsius so setting the temp control setting at Fahrenheit is more accurate or can be monitored more easily

72*f = 23*c.........mmmmm....bit high I would think...
72*f = 23*c.........mmmmm....bit high I would think...
I want to get some subtle fruity esters to compliment the Seville orange peel I added at flameout

There are 1.8 Fahrenheit to 1 Celsius so setting the temp control setting at Fahrenheit is more accurate or can be monitored more easily

I don't know what your temp controller is. But mine allows for 0.1 Celsius intervals. Not sure I need to be more specific than that, tbh.

Spiesy said:
I don't know what your temp controller is. But mine allows for 0.1 Celsius intervals. Not sure I need to be more specific than that, tbh.
Yup, mine too.

But more to the point, at least Celsius is based on the properties of water instead of brine and has the same increments as the SI unit for temperature, Kelvin. The next thing you know the Yanks will be using silly units such as the smoot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoot) just to be different :p .

Fair enough I'm new to this game so really appreciate your opinion. I have the keg king dual control, if you have this do you mind telling me what your settings are?

Hey Ricardo,

What kind of fermenter is that? Can we see some side/ front pics.

ricardo said:

So if you mash at 152 f that would be about 85c ?

Fair enough I'm new to this game so really appreciate your opinion. I have the keg king dual control, if you have this do you mind telling me what your settings are?

Hi Ricardo, I don't have this particular unit, sorry.

Our settings should depend in he yeast you're using and the stage of the fermentation cycle you are at. If in doubt, consult the yeast manufacturers website.

If I can be of any further help, feel free to ask.

Spiesy said:
Hi Ricardo, I don't have this particular unit, sorry.

Our settings should depend in he yeast you're using and the stage of the fermentation cycle you are at. If in doubt, consult the yeast manufacturers website.

If I can be of any further help, feel free to ask.
Well I checked my unit yesterday and I'm getting 0.1 intervals at Fahrenheit so am happy. It also does Celsius so best of both worlds

Yep I checked the yeast website and I'm well within my optimum temp for that strain

Pratty1 said:
Hey Ricardo,

What kind of fermenter is that? Can we see some side/ front pics.
Hi Pratty1

It's a 7.5 US gallon half keg made by Sabco..

Sabco 1.jpg

Attachments

• Sabco.JPG
    Sabco.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 23

Latest posts

Back