Krausen Or Cake

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennyc

Reaction score
So my beer has been fermenting for a week and the bubbling has slowed to about three times per minute (and I'll be checking the hyrdometer too - don't worry!). However, there's been a thick 2cm layer of krausen on top since the vigorous fermentation started (it's since stopped as far as I can tell) and the layer doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

I'm using Wyeast 1056 fermented at 18-20 degrees, so I'm just wondering if this is in fact krausen or if it's yeast cake that's sitting at the top.

I'm guessing that it's yeast cake, but just wanted to check...

Has anyone had a slow 1056 fermenting experience?

What's the gravity reading?

Probably just falling very slowly to the bottom

Not sure, that's on the agenda for tonight!

Probably cake floating on top, I've seen this a few times with this yeast and it will fall eventually but easier to rack into secondary and leave for another week. checking hyrdo as well of course

Probably cake floating on top, I've seen this a few times with this yeast and it will fall eventually but easier to rack into secondary and leave for another week. checking hyrdo as well of course

Gravity was down to 1.016 which matches the expected FG. Pretty sure it must be cake, but I'll leave it a few more days before racking to secondary.

1056 can throw a big shiny krausen that doesn't fall in as quick as other yeasts.
you'll still have cake down the bottom.

1056 can throw a big shiny krausen that doesn't fall in as quick as other yeasts.
you'll still have cake down the bottom.

That would be the one. It had me worried for a while but I also tasted the beer after I'd checked the gravity and I almost jumped around the room like an idiot because it tasted so good :D

(This is my first AG BTW)

Latest posts

Back