Knurling on a Mashmaster Mini Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jack of all biers said:
What makes you think the German one (I assume you mean the Matt Mill) is better?
It looks cool, its German and ive been drinking IIPA's. Im also heavily under qualified to be making statements like that (figures. Phfft).

Mardoo said:
In truth, we know SFA about the German MattMill. Sure, I've read a lot from the mfr and users, but few people in Oz have one. However I have contact info for a bloke who just bought one (via the Oz distributor) and I hope to have a look before too long.

Simply based on customer service and history I'm tending towards the Mashmaster. I may be the guy to go ahead and take one for the team and go the MattMill, but then I've spent plenty of time in my life standing around with my dick in my hand, and brewing is not one place I wish to do so.
I'm also leaning towards the Mashmaster at the moment, but I have patience and figure I've been happy with the HBS crushes I've had for the last 11 years so 1 more can't hurt me. Definately let us know if you get to see a Matt mill in action.

I received a replacement roller yesterday & it took some time to sand down the copper sleeve on the adjustment knob but it's operational. Like the results from earlier posts, very little flour with a gap of approx 1.0mm to 1.1mm. The crush though was better than ever before. The gripping power of that fluted roller on the grain was phenomenal & the speed that it chewed through a 1kg grain test blew me away. A massive thumbs up from me & a huge thanks to Francis for getting me back in business.

Got my self one of these mills should get it set up this week. Just rhought I would share a pic of the sweet old school scales I dug up from down the back to sit next to it

1454567063922.jpg

1454567075830.jpg

Stunts said:
Got my self one of these mills should get it set up this week. Just rhought I would share a pic of the sweet old school scales I dug up from down the back to sit next to it
I'm surprised that scale didn't get eaten by a Stegosaurus!

CmdrRyekr said:
I'm surprised that scale didn't get eaten by a Stegosaurus!
I was having happy nostalgic childhood memories of toffy being weighed out in a sweet shop in Newcastle upon tyne till I scrolled down and read your post. :blink:

Haha found a cash register that is about the same vintage also. Grandfathers that hord everything come in handy eventually

just did my first run with the fluteds. firstly - this is my first mill, so i can't compare it to anything. and i've got no experience.
i fed grain through, a handful at a time, until i found a good consistency - (2 qld drivers licences + 1.5 notches wide) on fawcett pearl. whatever that means, cos i don't have feeler guages. then i sent 5kg through on seriously slow speed. almost no flour, but even the smaller grains were nicely cracked.
come the mash, and it was so clear i thought i'd blown it. my gf barely raised a sweat over the top mesh, and it looked pretty watery compared to my shop milled.
45mins into mash @68, colour started to come on and a touch of foam, but it never got to the overflow pipe.
sparge made me really concerned cos it went through as if there was no grain under it - 13L in under a minute.
currently boiling with great colour, so hopefully not the disaster i thought it might have been. i thought maybe too coarse, though i will narrow a little next time just to see.
mill looks like a real winner, even if i reserve my opinion on the first attempt.
ah - now i can smell it from 2 rooms away and it smells gooooood.
my only problem is spending all that money for only 28secs of fun for the week. maybe i can mill the neighbour's house. the bastards will never find it again.
i'll update with the gravities when they come in, but it seems better than my most hopeful expectations

butisitart said:
my only problem is spending all that money for only 28secs of fun for the week. maybe i can mill the neighbour's house. the bastards will never find it again.
After all the times I have not brewed over the past years or so because I was dreading milling the grain, I am now just the opposite I have found renewed energy for the hobby. Problem is I can't brew because I used all my grain and wont get any more until we move in a couple of weeks. Even went to the local brew shop and grabbed 5kg so I could mill and brew last Friday.

Also now looking at building a new 3V set up, 120L output, to complement the GF. Milling 25kg at a time will put it to the test.

Cheers

Probably off-topic but good to hear you're going back to 3/4 vessel brewing bradsbrew. :)

Only way I'll ever part with my HERMS setup is when they pry it away from my cold dead hands.
If my 3-roller Cranker ever karks it perhaps I'll get one of those new (fluted) MashMasters. They are sounding good ATM.

I've been told I don't post enough on AHB these days so here's my week's contribution. B)

G'day Pete! Ok, so how's the week after looking then??! :)

Best to double your quota Pete, incase some disappear...

I do love brownies!

first batch on the fluted finished with perfect colour (i were worried it was going to be devoid of anything except water). og 1.037 when i were expecting 1.045 plus, so maybe grain not cracked enough. i utterly impressed with the mill though and how much control you get. :D

how do i know if my mini needs the roller ?

can one just be bought to transform it into this "better mill"?

i am rebuilding my drive / stand system so maybe should upgrade ?

Maheel said:
how do i know if my mini needs the roller ?

can one just be bought to transform it into this "better mill"?

i am rebuilding my drive / stand system so maybe should upgrade ?
If its taking more than 10 minutes to mill 5kg?
Although mine was more like an hour.
Flick Franc an email, you never know.

Latest posts

Back