Knurling on a Mashmaster Mini Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I expect it's simply a case-by-case basis Eagleburger. If you haven't had problems now I would think you're fine.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1453595059.808544.jpg

Holy Turk these rollers are beasts. This was 1kg of JW Pale at 0.7mm* with the motion dynamics stock worm drive motor (I haven't actually checked the speed but it seems pretty spot on)

It took 1min 10 seconds. 0.9mm wasn't even doable with the old rollers.

It seems to have actually de-husked a lot of grain but leaving both the husk and the inner grain mostly solid (cracked in 2 or 3 pieces).

Very little flour.

15 min into a pale ale in my grainfather and its recirculating perfectly. So happy right now.

*note: I set my gap by adjusting in against the feeler gauge. These rollers would have varying gaps with the depth of the flute so it wouldn't be comparable with other knurled rollers.

I should have also noted that the design of my hopper (an old 10-15L Spring water bottle) doesn't make full use of the roller length.

MastersBrewery said:
Be interesting to see how the new less flour crush affects efficiency.
Also how the grainfather handles it at sparge time.

MastersBrewery said:
Be interesting to see how the new less flour crush affects efficiency.
More flour will give more eff%....BUT.... to much and it turns into Clag Glue. And from personal experience, it is very difficult to sparge.

I found just shy of 30% to be as high as you can go without having to resort to using swear words and un lady-like language

Grain wetting is the go

Ducatiboy stu said:
More flour will give more eff%....BUT.... to much and it turns into Clag Glue. And from personal experience, it is very difficult to sparge.

I found just shy of 30% to be as high as you can go without having to resort to using swear words and un lady-like language

Grain wetting is the go
I have a normal knurled mill and would agree, however the guys with these fluted rollers are finding even at .7mm they are getting very little flour, though the grain is being completely de-husked, something a knurled roller can't do.

MastersBrewery said:
I have a normal knurled mill and would agree, however the guys with these fluted rollers are finding even at .7mm they are getting very little flour, though the grain is being completely de-husked, something a knurled roller can't do.
This is true

MastersBrewery said:
I ran a few kg through at about .8mm this morning and that's about right. Completely dehusked, not too floury. I didn't take a photo. The main difference is that it works my drill a *lot* harder than it does at ~1mm.

I run a brauclone, my interest here is; if efficiency is as good, and less flour = better flow, then there is the possibility that max grain bill for a given system of this type maybe increased. eg Most would say a 20L Bm would max out @ 5.5-6kg of grain, with a better flowing bed perhaps 6-6.5kg may well be achievable. The BM was designed with standard beers in mind, 1060 og requires work, this may change that.

If you run a high % of flour, it also pays to bump up your Grain:Water ratio in your mash

I'll be interested in the crush (with less flour) and how the BM efficiency is or is not affected. It does sound like these mills have solved the past problems, great news and top costumer service. Took a while but looking good now.

Batz

Batz,
I'm sure the time it's taken was all Dev and QC, which is great to see, not to mention the backup service the guys here have received.
Hell I don't even own one, but I may in the future :D

mardoo posted a picture of the new mill, post #129. Can't see how sharp the flutes are, but what happens when they "blunt " ?

MastersBrewery said:
Batz,
I'm sure the time it's taken was all Dev and QC, which is great to see, not to mention the backup service the guys here have received.
Hell I don't even own one, but I may in the future :D
Yes I agree. And I may in the future own one as well. If your brewing and your mill does not work for 1.5 - 2 years you may get a little pissed.

Batz said:
Yes I agree. And I may in the future own one as well. If your brewing and your mill does not work for 1.5 - 2 years you may get a little pissed.
More than a little pissed. A crappy mill really ruins the hobby.
May sound dramatic, but if your brew day is fucked and the fun gone before you mash in, it gets to the point you would rather just buy a FWK. Not to mention the inconsistent quality of the crush.

Anyone who has dealt with one knows it's not dramatic. Mine works OK, emphasis on the O and the K, but a mate's mill was, well, struggling is a kind word. 90 minutes to mill 4 kilos of grain? Faaaaaaaaaark.

Back