Knurling on a Mashmaster Mini Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
9 minutes and 53 seconds for a 25kg sack.
That used to take around an hour.

And a way better looking crush

Two new rollers,Troy.
I tried .6 up to 1mm and thought .8 -.9 looked best.

After reading the previous I'm worried about fitting these rollers and I'm assuming they're not coming with instructions?

smokomark said:
Two new rollers,Troy.
I tried .6 up to 1mm and thought .8 -.9 looked best.
Is the torque transferred to both fluted rollers by gears, like the original knurled rollers? Or is one of them passive - free spinning?

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1453534697.729158.jpg

I lost all interest in the experiment worrying about the rollers fitting (sorry guys...) but after that my bushes fit perfectly - phew.

So it's definitely not everyone that has the problem with the new rollers fitting.

HOWEVER...

The keyed drive shaft is now longer than before so I'll have to adjust my coupling. The keyed section of the shaft is the same length but the section that sits in the bushing is longer by 15mm (making it 15mm longer overall).

Parks said:
HOWEVER...

The keyed drive shaft is now longer than before so I'll have to adjust my coupling. The keyed section of the shaft is the same length but the section that sits in the bushing is longer by 15mm (making it 15mm longer overall).
Hacksaw.png

I'm getting great crush at about 1.2mm. 18V cordless on low speed reverse it pulls through at about 1kg/25secs. Definitely faster than the original rollers ever did and seems to be less flour

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1453542771.208180.jpg

Ducatiboy stu said:
So you spend all afternoon lapping the monkey.....
Yeah mate it wasn't fun. The ******* bit me too.

Once I got them moving (but still stiff) I hooked it up to the drill with the grinding paste still in there until it rolled nicely. Then cleaned them out and applied some silicone lube.

Some feedback from Francis if anyone is having trouble fitting the new roller:

"I will be sending out some 180 and 240 grit quality sandpaper with replacement rollers soon, tolerance on the new rollers were a little tighter. its the difference between 0.07 and 0.018mm approximately."

Tell you what I wouldn't want to get my fingers anywhere near these when they're going!

This is good news. Took over an hour to mill 10kg tonight. Three times as long as it takes to get 71L to 55degC.

Is there a specific purchase date range of affected Mills. I got mine from Craftbrewer a few years back & mine still seems ok. Are they all being replaced? I'm hoping mine doesn't decide to give me grief.

Latest posts

Back