Knurling on a Mashmaster Mini Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Parks said:
I should have my new rollers by Friday so I will attempt to do a side-by-side with 2 different gaps measuring the time taken and with a photo of the crush.

I'll do something like this, all with 1kg of the same base malt:

Old rollers, 1.25mm
Old rollers, 0.9mm
New rollers, 1.25mm
New rollers, 0.9mm

My current rollers are possibly a bit more problematic than other people here - they are not perfectly cylindrical (i.e., the ends are smaller than the middle) so this may or may not be of use.
I ran a few kg through mine last night at different gap settings. It behaves a lot differently to a normal knurled milled,obviously due to the flutes. I got decent results at 0.7mm and after talking to frank he suggested starting at 0.6mm.

I'm gonna go with 0.6 for a brew on the weekend and see how it goes.

Liam_snorkel said:
Hoping mine arrive soon, getting desperate to brew but don't want to spend 2 hours milling.

That's the main reason I've brewed **** all for the last few months.

I've got 22 cubes full of sodium perc in the shed. I'd rather have them filled with something else

huez said:
I ran a few kg through mine last night at different gap settings. It behaves a lot differently to a normal knurled milled,obviously due to the flutes. I got decent results at 0.7mm and after talking to frank he suggested starting at 0.6mm.

I'm gonna go with 0.6 for a brew on the weekend and see how it goes.
Yeah, my replacements turned up yesterday and the flutes are way more aggressive than I expected. At a guess they're over 1mm deep so there will definitely be some adjustments needed.

Liam_snorkel said:
Hoping mine arrive soon, getting desperate to brew but don't want to spend 2 hours milling.
Hoping mine turn up today too.

In the mean time just mix 100ml of water through the grain before milling, works a treat.

Good news: mine arrived today!
Bad news: the passive roller is a bit too snug in each of the copper bearings. I can just get them in but it's so tight it's seized and a real bitch to get back off.
I've thrown them in the freezer and will have another go tomorrow but realistically, I think I'll have to dremel them out.

Dunno if I'd take a Dremel to brass bearings Liam. I'd be more inclined to wrap a bit of wet and dry around a suitably sized shaft and apply an action akin to a pre-pubescent boy in front of the computer.
I'm getting really nervous now about having my mill out of action for so long. Would hate to find out I have faulty knurling down the track and have to pay to replace them. Will use the mill this weekend and give it a good inspection.

Valve lapping compound on the shaft. Mount brass bearing in vice and spin the shaft into it with your hands.

If you have ever lapped valves you will know what I am talking about :)

Why don't you email mashmaster and ask advice. You might end up in a worse situation then you already are!

Hard to tell with photos really but this is the new rollers set at 0.6mm for those that are interested. Tomorrow i might put some through at 0mm and see the result.

I also made an mdf plate on the cnc today to try and get a monster mill hopper to fit, actually worked out near perfectly and to be honest probably suits the length of the millmaster better than the monster mill

DSC_0084.JPG
DSC_0088.JPG
DSC_0083.JPG

Ducatiboy stu said:
Valve lapping compound on the shaft. Mount brass bearing in vice and spin the shaft into it with your hands.

If you have ever lapped valves you will know what I am talking about :)
But if you saw a pre-pubescent boy in front of the computer using a valve lapping motion you'd tell him he was doing it wrong.
Jokes aside I wouldn't hold a brass bearing in a vice and expect it to remain concentric to the shaft.

Hey Huez
My mill turned up today, its impressive.
For my like-for-like comparisons of the results we're all starting to post: Did you buy the new mill with both driven fluted rollers? If not, what is your roller operation / configuration?

Thanks for posting your results so far!

Cosdog

I had actually sent my mill back to craftbrewer for a refund. So, it's a brand new mill direct from mashmaster. There's obviously a few design changes overall, including new adjuster knobs which i think are a lot better as they have markings. Also the dual drive, one end of the roller for a motor driven set up and the other end that will fit a standard drill, not that i will use it but its a pretty good idea. Could also be the reason some people are only getting single rollers as the new driven roller wouldn't fit the old mill.

Camo6 said:
But if you saw a pre-pubescent boy in front of the computer using a valve lapping motion you'd tell him he was doing it wrong.
Jokes aside I wouldn't hold a brass bearing in a vice and expect it to remain concentric to the shaft.
Well I would try and mount the housing in the vice, if not then just use 2 pieces of notched wood

Liam_snorkel said:
Liam_snorkel, on 22 Jan 2016 - 3:29 PM, said:

Bad news: the passive roller is a bit too snug in each of the copper bearings. I can just get them in but it's so tight it's seized and a real bitch to get back off.
I've thrown them in the freezer and will have another go tomorrow but realistically, I think I'll have to dremel them out.
Fine grit emery!
Too easy snorkel. B)

bradsbrew said:
Where the bloody hell have you been hiding Pete.
Making sure no AHB ******* is fiddling with his regulator I expect :ph34r: :lol:

Parks said:
Making sure no AHB ******* is fiddling with his regulator I expect :ph34r: :lol:
So that B.S. was spread around as well, just goes to show.

Batz said:
Batz, on 22 Jan 2016 - 9:46 PM, said:Batz, on 22 Jan 2016 - 9:46 PM, said:Batz, on 22 Jan 2016 - 9:46 PM, said:Batz, on 22 Jan 2016 - 9:46 PM, said:
So that B.S. was spread around as well, just goes to show.
QuoteQuoteQuoteQuote Making sure no AHB ******* is fiddling with his regulator I expect
Well now, that does just go to show, doesn't it Batz. ;)

Quote 2 was our private & personal one-on-one conversation by PM & that conversation has been spread far & wide & so I must publicly object to the gossip you spread.

Over & Out.

PS ----- Way off topic I know & my humble apologies brewers.

Cheers for the advice fellas, this is why I asked the AHB Brains Trust prior to doing anything drastic. I've had s go using wet & dry but didn't seem to be getting anywhere with it. Cheers Pete, I'll try to get my hands on some emery cloth.
Also Huez - the driven roller fits fine in the old housing, the issue is only getting the passive roller to fit in the adjusting knobs.

smokomark said:
My new rollers arrived today.

I've got 20kg of mixed grain ready to be milled for a quad batch of Aussie Old.
If it goes alright I might just double up and throw a sack of BB ale thru it as well.
If it doesn't go so well I have a MM2 ready for action.

It's been a while since there's been 8 or 10 cubes in the pool.
Happiness is a pool full of cubes.

Liam_snorkel said:
Same here. I used some fine valve grinding paste and worked them on and off by hand for about 10 mins each end. They still take a little bit of effort to spin them on the shaft.

Liam_snorkel said:
- the driven roller fits fine in the old housing,
Mine would've gone in with the help of a sledgehammer or a press. Well over an hours work needed on this roller - probably closer to 2

All assembled now ( with lead based anti seize compound ) but still just a touch too tight to turn over by hand. - it will lap itself in ok.
Put the old drill back on at normal slow speed, approx 100rpm and threw a handful of grain in. Must of blinked coz i didn't even see it go thru.
1kg of grain in the hopper and a few seconds later I had the best looking crush ever - **** all flour and every grain cracked - far better looking than anything I had ever milled or anything that I had bought milled from a supplier.
1kg used to take around 2 to 3 minutes.

Latest posts

Back