Know You Knots?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freezkat

Reaction score

This is me. I can complete this task in under 50 seconds now.

Square knot
Figure 8
slip knot
2 half hitches
clove hitch
taut line
timber hitch
sheep shank
sheet bend
bowline
bowline on a bight

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work!

Knots are great fun and really useful, though in these days of hold down straps, occies and buckle clips they are a sadly neglected part of habit. I was a keen climber and sailor in my earlier days and really enjoyed developing my knot tying skills. A couple of memorable times they actually saved my arse (or someone elses ) and the boom (on another memorable occasion).

Nice work!

Knots are great fun and really useful, though in these days of hold down straps, occies and buckle clips they are a sadly neglected part of habit. I was a keen climber and sailor in my earlier days and really enjoyed developing my knot tying skills. A couple of memorable times they actually saved my arse (or someone elses ) and the boom (on another memorable occasion).
Save you money too, from keeping your stuff from flying out the back the truck/lorry.

There is a mountain climber knot someone taught me once, where you can tie a rope around you using only on hand. Do you know what thats called?

Is it only me who finds it slightly amusing that his prize for tying all those knots was a brown monkey's fist?
:ph34r:

Is it only me who finds it slightly amusing that his prize for tying all those knots was a brown monkey's fist?
:ph34r:
you get a green one for doing it in under 50 seconds, and a red if under 40 seconds

I assume you may be referring to the monkeys that throw shite at the zoo-goers

No... obviously just me.

No so much zoo poo flinging. I know some guys who are into... how to put this... lets just say its a fairly extreme behavior undertaken between consenting adults equipped with rubber gloves and lots of lube. Each year they give out a "brown fist" award. I'll leave your imagination to do the rest.

You meet all types when you host websites.

BTW - well done on the knots. I can barely tie my shoelaces so that's an impressive effort.

Cheers
Dave

No... obviously just me.

No so much zoo poo flinging. I know some guys who are into... how to put this... lets just say its a fairly extreme behavior undertaken between consenting adults equipped with rubber gloves and lots of lube. Each year they give out a "brown fist" award. I'll leave your imagination to do the rest.

You meet all types when you host websites.

BTW - well done on the knots. I can barely tie my shoelaces so that's an impressive effort.

Cheers
Dave

Ahhhh the human sock-puppet...I see. :icon_vomit:

to be honest I found out I was tying my shoes wrong for 40 years till I learned that my bow was actually a square knot with 2 loops in it. No wonder why it was always cock-eyed and kept coming undone. I was tying a Granny Knot bow.

I can see from the youtube clip that effiency of movement would have got you down those four seconds, looked like you were tripping over ropes in the vid. :p

Ahhhh the human sock-puppet...I see. :icon_vomit:

to be honest I found out I was tying my shoes wrong for 40 years till I learned that my bow was actually a square knot with 2 loops in it. No wonder why it was always cock-eyed and kept coming undone. I was tying a Granny Knot bow.

I actually changed my shoe tying technique just last week after watching a TED video on exactly that. 2 forms of the knot, one weak one strong. 40 years and I never realized. No wonder my shoes never stayed done up. I blame my parents for teaching me the wrong way all those years ago.

Thinking about it I just realized that we taught our kids the wrong method too. D'oh! Their laces never stay done up either.

For those that don't know - http://www.ted.com/talks/terry_moore_how_t...your_shoes.html

Cheers
Dave

If all else fails... granny knot.

Granny was the problem. Crappy knot

yes my clumsiness slowed me down on that run. I took me more than a year to get both hands and feet working well

I actually changed my shoe tying technique just last week after watching a TED video on exactly that. 2 forms of the knot, one weak one strong. 40 years and I never realized. No wonder my shoes never stayed done up. I blame my parents for teaching me the wrong way all those years ago.

Thinking about it I just realized that we taught our kids the wrong method too. D'oh! Their laces never stay done up either.

For those that don't know - http://www.ted.com/talks/terry_moore_how_t...your_shoes.html

Cheers
Dave

That's a good illustration of my point. We should pay more attention to our knots, good ones make things easier in the long run. :) Bad ones, well make you fall over!

Latest posts

Back