Kits & extracts tinny taste

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
depending the brand and the age of the "can" and also what you are trying to achieve....i have made a Drsmurto's Golden Ale kit version and no "twang"

I'd say its just you. Never had such a taste ina kit brew, doubt you will find many who have.
Just for shit and giggles, do an AG batch and see if you still have the problem.
Lets us know how you go.

I had the same problem with a golden ale. I've made the same recipe a few times with good results. This last time it's no good. Might tip it! I'm putting it down to ingredients. What tins are you using?

yum beer said:
I'd say its just you. Never had such a taste ina kit brew, doubt you will find many who have.
Just for shit and giggles, do an AG batch and see if you still have the problem.
Lets us know how you go.
I'd actually say the opposite. When I was doing Kits I almost experienced the "kit twang" all the time. However, by use of fresh ingredients, Hops and grain additions you can "mask" this taste to some degree.

From How to Brew by John Palmer

"Metallic flavors are usually caused by unprotected metals dissolving into the wort but can also be caused by the hydrolysis of lipids in poorly stored malts".

I'd be going for the 2nd part, poorly stored malts. How old was the kit can?
Did it come from a supermarket? It's worth paying the extra $2 and get your kit from a HBS.
Not only do you support the brewing shop owner but they actually store the products properly
The supermarket might be air-conditioned, but not the store room, distribution warehouse or the truck.

As others have written, get the freshest ingredients possible.

"hydrolysis of lipids" occurs in the grain when it is stored in an environment that is too high in humidity. Not something that occurs in canned or dried malt - it has already been mashed and boiled... Malt in this case refers to malted grain.

I've had 2 brews with the twang. Both times it was old and/or crap kits.

I've had some shit homebrew from poor temp control (not mine);-), and I've under pitched and combined incompatible hops and wort, but I'm yet to get that matallic taste. My wife on the other hand hates my oaten coloured beers due to their 'craft brew taste', but loves my dark ales which I boil hard and add roast barley for astringency

My 2c..

When i was K&K'ing 5 years ago kit twang was all my beer tasted like. It is what made me stop brewing

Since i returned to brewing (Full extract) last month not one of my 7 brews has had kit twang.

And before you say Hops cover it up, a golden i put down last week was under-hopped so it tasted like...nothing. NO malt, No hops. Tasted like orange booze-water. No kit twang. I tjrew in a few plugs of citra to cure the tastelessness.

A fellow at my local gave me a homebrew and i drank it a few days ago. I can tell he just used a tin and a kilo of white sugar, Kit twang all the way through. The exact same taste from 5 years ago. There is no forgetting that taste, im sure you will all agree

If unable to resolve it with older style kits, try moving up to the nitrogen purged pouches and box sets as put out by Mangrove Jacks. The Craft Series have a far superior yeast in them as a bonus or the Tradition Series and choose a better yeast to suit.

Just a suggestion.
Martin

Latest posts

Back