Kitchen Aid Mixers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herbo

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been lurking around here for a while now and for my first post thought that someone could help me with advice on this. I've learnt so much from this forum so thanks all.

The wife would like one of those Kitchen Aid mixers for Christmas. I know they're very expensive for what they are but this is the one she wants so this is the one she gets. I got a new boat recently so all is fair. :icon_cheers:

What I would like to know specifically is if anyone has ever used the Kitchen Aid Grain Mill Attachment for the purposes of milling grain for brewing?

Here it is here: http://www.kitchenwaredirect.com.au/Brands...Mill-Attachment

It would make me very happy if I could use this attachment effectively for brewing. Would give me some joy from the expensive mixer! :icon_chickcheers:

Any knowledge on this much appreciated.

Ha. Shit mate. Same boat here. Got hounded for one for the misses.

Cost me $725 :(

Dunno if it would be a good idea, it may be too fine, it may also be perfect.

Herbo,

I've never used one but I did get excited when I say this thread, thinking exactly the same thing as you.

After a bit of web research, I found lots of reviews saying that the mills a great but I also found this one on Amazon.

Seems there are a few different types and they might not all be completely compatible with a KitchenAid.

Andrew

Ha. Shit mate. Same boat here. Got hounded for one for the misses.

Cost me $725 :(

Dunno if it would be a good idea, it may be too fine, it may also be perfect.

Yeah mate, I reckon it might be ok for small batches, but not really sure.

It does say in the description "full range of grind settings".

I am doing the BIAB method so perhaps too fine isn't going to matter much.

Herbo,

I've never used one but I did get excited when I say this thread, thinking exactly the same thing as you.

After a bit of web research, I found lots of reviews saying that the mills a great but I also found this one on Amazon.

Seems there are a few different types and they might not all be completely compatible with a KitchenAid.

Andrew

Yep definitely looks like there are a couple of different looking mills available. The one on Amazon looks like it's made of metal. The one on the Aussie site that I linked looks plastic.

Thanks Andrew

I dunno if it would be any good for milling grain.

But if it costs anything like most of the attachments your probably best just to buy a proper brewing mill anyway. I know the pasta maker attachments cost more than a marco atlas pasta maker with nearly enough change to add an electric motor and its way more versatile.

Bloody good mixers though I miss mums now that I dont live at home. Between that and the AGA I'm almost tempted to move back home. SWMBO wants one too. Wont be for this christmas though thanks to some inconciderate prick who just drove into her car and drove off - there goes $645 in excess plus $40 per day car, all my christmas spending money - looks like under the tree will be a little emptier this year than planned. Oh well such is life.

Edit : $189 AUD for a mill that "might" do the job Vs $183 USD inc. shipping for mill, base, hopper and crank handle that you know will do the job going in at 85c to the US$ = $216 landed for a mill you know will work... for $27 is it worth the risk?

I've just had a 3 year old Sunbeam Mixmaster start to fail. The gears in the base that spin the bowls are stripping. I have not enquired about the replacement costs yet, as it seems to be a common fault with that unit according to a quick Google search, and the outlaws' identical unit has also stripped a gear..... So....

I am looking at possibly replacing it with a Kitchenaid, but have a few questions for kitchenaid users out there. I understand that they are built with "made to fail" plastic gears that are designed to protect the motor and are supposedly cheap and easy to replace. Has anyone had any experience with this? If so, are they really just a simple replacement that any user could do? Is it a "service" replacement with the accompanying labour costs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. SWMBO uses the mixer all the time for cakes, biscuits, etc... but it won't likely be used for bread doughs as I like to do that by hand...

I'm looking at buying one for the fun buster at the moment (shhh she doesn know!) cause I've head similar results about the sunbeam plus mum and dad have a kitchenaid that they have had since - well they've had it at least 18 years cause they had it in their house before the last house and that would have to be atleast 18 years ago!
I dont think shes ever had an issue with it other than the paint chipping off one of the beaters. Also they seem to be a heap quieter than the sunbeam or the kenwood (although still not quiet). As for the gears thing - NFI.

I'm looking at buying one for the fun buster at the moment (shhh she doesn know!) cause I've head similar results about the sunbeam plus mum and dad have a kitchenaid that they have had since - well they've had it at least 18 years cause they had it in their house before the last house and that would have to be atleast 18 years ago!
I dont think shes ever had an issue with it other than the paint chipping off one of the beaters. Also they seem to be a heap quieter than the sunbeam or the kenwood (although still not quiet). As for the gears thing - NFI.
Thanks for the reply, Komodo.

Yeah, I originally bought the Sunbeam because my mum had one for over 20 years with no issues until the motor finally went... I'm reluctant to base another purchase on that reputation as it doesn't seem to mean jack any more. :(

Sunbeam is a disposable budget brand these days...get a Kenwood Chef instead....I have a 30 year old one and it's still strong as. You can still buy parts for the old ones too. A mate has a brand new one, and they seem to be just as good. Kenwood Chefs cost you a bit more though, but then it'll still be working in 30 years most likely so its all about how good a mixer you want. I wanted a new one but she said "your old one is fine...you don't need a new one". Couldn't argue with that. :(

^ +1

Have no experience of the Kenwood but when we were shopping for a new mixer it seemed the highest spec'd, with best bang for buck in the price range and best build. We ended up getting a Mixmaster because the missus wanted a Mixmaster (and because I refused to pay for one her sister sent us a new one for free. Score!).

I believe the kenwood is belt driven?

With the KitchenAid mum and dad bought my sister one last christmas (2008) and from what I could tell the machine is pretty much identical to mums. Mum also has a kitchen aid food processor she bought at the same time and that seems pretty good but the blender is a bit "meh".

My mum has had a kenwood chef for easy 35 years and it still works perfectly
and its had some hammer when i was a kid tryin to stop it turning hehe
Although it is noisy but it was like that from new like a gear noise, i think they are all the same
cheers
bjay

I bought one of these:

KM006.jpg

http://www.kenwood-australia.com/products/...asp?Model=KM006

It is a Kenwood Major, and a top machine. I expect to leave it to one of the kids and it will be around
for a long time. Got it for $1000 with a blender attachment.

I sold an old kenwood chef for $75....it was at least 40 years old, still working fine.
Just wanted a bigger one.

Cheers,
Bud

Is anyone using one of the kitcheaid Grain Mills for brewing.

Im thinkning of getting the grain mill and trying to find people who have used them. Mind you i havent found an outlet selling them in Australia yet.

Is anyone using one of the kitcheaid Grain Mills for brewing.

Im thinkning of getting the grain mill and trying to find people who have used them. Mind you i havent found an outlet selling them in Australia yet.

I think most people will agree for the cost of the grain mill, you are better of getting a dedicated grain mill and enjoying it for the next 50years.

QldKev

I've just had a 3 year old Sunbeam Mixmaster start to fail. The gears in the base that spin the bowls are stripping. I have not enquired about the replacement costs yet, as it seems to be a common fault with that unit according to a quick Google search, and the outlaws' identical unit has also stripped a gear..... So....

I am looking at possibly replacing it with a Kitchenaid, but have a few questions for kitchenaid users out there. I understand that they are built with "made to fail" plastic gears that are designed to protect the motor and are supposedly cheap and easy to replace. Has anyone had any experience with this? If so, are they really just a simple replacement that any user could do? Is it a "service" replacement with the accompanying labour costs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. SWMBO uses the mixer all the time for cakes, biscuits, etc... but it won't likely be used for bread doughs as I like to do that by hand...
Well here's an update for anyone that's interested.

After contacting Sunbeam last year, they had it shipped back to them to diagnose the fault. Without word, they sent out a replacement unit... all shipping at their cost.

Well, the replacement has just shit itself with the exact same symptoms as the first one. Sounds and behaves like a stripped gear. I have contacted Sunbeam again and we'll see what they do this time. I'm not optimistic. The outlaws' sunbeam also died from the same fault. They have since replaced it with a $1000 Kenwood Chef, but I'm not spending that much on a mixer. If I was spending that much on a mixer, I'd be looking at a professional unit. I don't want or need the extra "blender" attachments. That's just added bloat. All I want is a mixer that will do the job without shitting itself after less than 12 months. I want one that will last 20 years like the old ones used to. Is that too much to ask?

Well here's an update for anyone that's interested.

After contacting Sunbeam last year, they had it shipped back to them to diagnose the fault. Without word, they sent out a replacement unit... all shipping at their cost.

Well, the replacement has just shit itself with the exact same symptoms as the first one. Sounds and behaves like a stripped gear. I have contacted Sunbeam again and we'll see what they do this time. I'm not optimistic. The outlaws' sunbeam also died from the same fault. They have since replaced it with a $1000 Kenwood Chef, but I'm not spending that much on a mixer. If I was spending that much on a mixer, I'd be looking at a professional unit. I don't want or need the extra "blender" attachments. That's just added bloat. All I want is a mixer that will do the job without shitting itself after less than 12 months. I want one that will last 20 years like the old ones used to. Is that too much to ask?

I recently bought a kenwood chef premium (around $599 retail) and am really happy with the construction of the unit. Have even used it to knead rye sourdough and it performed pretty well (which is a tough ask).

I got mine at the Good Guys early Jan, they did it for around the $450 mark (cash), so was a pretty good deal and came with a mincer/sausage maker.

I recently bought a kenwood chef premium (around $599 retail) and am really happy with the construction of the unit. Have even used it to knead rye sourdough and it performed pretty well (which is a tough ask).

I got mine at the Good Guys early Jan, they did it for around the $450 mark (cash), so was a pretty good deal and came with a mincer/sausage maker.
Thanks Brendo, I'll have a look at that model while I await a response from Sunbeam.

What is the warranty on that model, Brendo?

Latest posts

Back