Kitchen Aid Mixers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Brendo, I'll have a look at that model while I await a response from Sunbeam.

What is the warranty on that model, Brendo?

I think it was 5 years on the motor and 2 years on the parts (something like that). I took extended warranty out anyway to bring it all up to 5 years and the Good Guys had a "No lemon policy" on it - if they have to repair the same thing twice, they give you a new one or the equivalent model if it has been superseded in that timeframe.

Mate of mine has a couple of Kenwood Chefs and I might be able to prise one off him:

kenwood_grain.JPG

I don't know how much the Grain Mill accessory is worth but it might be ok for small batches of crystal etc.

eek, just looked it up - costs more than a Marga :eek:

Re. the 'made to fail' cogs in the KitchenAid. I might be wrong but I think there is only one plastic cog, and its a human safety measure rather than a motor protection measure (ie. get your hair wrapped around the beaters and the plastic cog is supposed to strip before your scalp peels off - haven't tested this though!).

Solid machine the Kitchenaid. Has a pleasing heavy industrial sound when running.

Note that attachments ordered from the USA KitchenAid web site are much cheaper than at the Aust. web site. Eg. Grain mill is AU$229 (with free shipping) from the Aust. web site, but only US$149 from the US web site (you'd have to add shipping to that, but for lightweight attachments it wouldn't be much).

The machines themsselves are also substantally cheaper in the US, but they are heavy and shipping might be expensive to Aust. The US also has a different voltage (haven't looked in detail at the US website to see if they offer 240v versions to Aust. buyers).

Cheers.

EDIT.
Just checked the US website again and the Grain Mill attachment is on discount ...

KitchenAid_Grain_Mill_attachment.jpg

Note that attachments ordered from the USA KitchenAid web site are much cheaper than at the Aust. web site.

Feldon,

Have you purchased any accessories through the USA website? How was your experience?

Cheers
Jon

Feldon,

Have you purchased any accessories through the USA website? How was your experience?

Cheers
Jon

No mate. Just looking at the attachments at the mo. But bought a KitchenAid machine (locally) for my daughter at Christmas and was looking at getting some attachments direct from the US.

No mate. Just looking at the attachments at the mo. But bought a KitchenAid machine (locally) for my daughter at Christmas and was looking at getting some attachments direct from the US.
Yes, bought one for the wife recently and would love some of the attachments but they are a bit of a knee to the groin after the initial cost outlay of the mixer.

i reckon you would have to go through someone like priceusa though, as i very much doubt the US store would ship to australia.

if you are looking for a tough virtually unbreakable mixer look on ebay, lots of older second hand units for between 100/200 dollars,"KENWOOD CHEF" we have got one that my mother handed on to my wife, its now 40 years old ,still looks like new and never had a problem, they are a bit noisy but thats just the gears in them ,they are like a truck gearbox, ,.
fergi

My missus got an ice-cream maker attachment for hers from Amazon and according to her it was heaps cheaper than KitchenAid's US webpage. Can't help with specifics though - it's her deal. Pretty easy to have a squizz and see if the prices are similar for the grain mill though.

My missus got an ice-cream maker attachment for hers from Amazon and according to her it was heaps cheaper than KitchenAid's US webpage. Can't help with specifics though - it's her deal. Pretty easy to have a squizz and see if the prices are similar for the grain mill though.
thanks bum, i didnt even think of checking amazon. every time i have tried to purchase larger items from them they always whinge about not being able to ship to oz - not so with some of the kitchen aid attachments though.

one (very cheap) ice-cream attachment on its way) :D

cheers
jon

I got my missus an extra bowl and the RVSA.
The extra bowl is super handy especially for beating eggs etc that then have to be folded into other ingredients. Sure it could be done without the extra bowl but it makes it heaps easier
The RVSA is super handy especially for pizza toppings, sandwich fillings etc.
Want to get the icecream bowl. Freinds have it and its fantastic. We have mums icecream maker and comparitively the kitchenaid is way better.

The Kenwood gets good reports but I like the looks of the kitchenaid plus I also like the fact that mums had hers for well over 10 years. She took it in for a service before Christmas as she was looking to buying a new one to take her old one to their holiday house. The machine came back as good as new and the service cost SFA. She uses hers all the time including for making batches of pizza dough (they have a large pizza oven and shes always making dough for groups of 30+).

I'm actually looking to see if I cant pick a second hand unit up cheap the strip down give to a panel beater mate to give a lick of paint (thinking something cool and retro maybe with GT stripes) to give to my brother as a house warming.

Had a Breville Wizz for years now... mostly for dough and cakes... does the job pretty well but under heavy load you can hear the gears grind a little, still does the job but just don't expect it to last forever.

Kenwood Chef has been Choice best mixer from memory for a while now, but I couldn't justify the price (the Wizz was $249 including free digital scales).

http://www.breville.com.au/products_detail.asp?prod=474

Back