Kit N Bits Recommendations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the advice !

update on this one. Reached my FG of 1012 a few days ago... beautiful grapefruit aroma from the cascades, quite a bit more bitter than i expected, but not in a unpleasant way (SO wont like it though!) and this will probably mellow a little. Has a nice malty and citrusy aftertaste... At this point, im ecstatic with how its turned out, but i face a dilemma

there's so much trub at the bottom of my fermenter its covering the tap! - i really dont want to rack to a secondary, - i nomrally rack to bulk prime and then bottle, but feel a might have to secondary in this case to get it off the trub and clear it up a bit before bottling... I suspect if i try to bottle from here I'll end up with sediment-laden bottles.

I could secondary the first gallon to come out in a 5 litre wine fermentor - i wanted to do that to dry hop some of this anyway (i have some Nelson Sauvin leftover!). If i take the first 5 litres out it should remove all the trub around tap - it can settle out in the secondary with a dry hop, and i can bulk prime the rest and bottle away, right?

anyone had this experience before and found useful ways around it?

cheers
Pete

Would it settle and clear over time in ya bottle anyway

My solution would be to wait until you're ready to bulk prime and then;

Use a siphon to transfer the beer to the vessle where you have poured your priming solution and carefully avoid sucking up anything by positioning it above the trub.

If you plan to allow the beer to condition for longer than a month in primary before bottling, I would transfer to secondary and then do as above. I often do this myself and end up siphoning back into the original/primary fermenter for the last stage.

Thanks for the advice !

update on this one. Reached my FG of 1012 a few days ago... beautiful grapefruit aroma from the cascades, quite a bit more bitter than i expected, but not in a unpleasant way (SO wont like it though!) and this will probably mellow a little. Has a nice malty and citrusy aftertaste... At this point, im ecstatic with how its turned out, but i face a dilemma

there's so much trub at the bottom of my fermenter its covering the tap! - i really dont want to rack to a secondary, - i nomrally rack to bulk prime and then bottle, but feel a might have to secondary in this case to get it off the trub and clear it up a bit before bottling... I suspect if i try to bottle from here I'll end up with sediment-laden bottles.

I could secondary the first gallon to come out in a 5 litre wine fermentor - i wanted to do that to dry hop some of this anyway (i have some Nelson Sauvin leftover!). If i take the first 5 litres out it should remove all the trub around tap - it can settle out in the secondary with a dry hop, and i can bulk prime the rest and bottle away, right?

cheers
Pete

It's heavy. Most of it will stay in the fermenter. I'd just rack to bulk prime.

However, if concerned, take the risk and rack to another vessel, or rack with priming solution to your bulk priming vessel, stick in the fridge immediately and 2 days later: bottle. The fridge temps will stop too much CO2 being lost and help sediment/precipitate the that made its way in from primary.

I've left already primed beers (in the fermenter/cube obviously) in a cold fridge for 2 days before which have carbed up beautifully.

First taste test on this tonight and its turned out wonderful! Lovely golden colour, still with a bit of cloudiness though. Great citrus aroma coming through, lovely velvety blast of hops on the tongue and a sneaky bitter and dry bite right at the end...

My small batch of dry hop went on a little longer than expected - the 1 gallon sat on 10g of Nelson Sauvin for 12 days before i got around to bottling... Will pop one of those in a week or two for comparison!

Its hard to believe its base was a kit...- easily the best thing Ive brewed to date! :D

Thanks to all who contributed and helped me craft this beer.. im even more excited about moving away from kits now... My first non-kit wheat is fermenting away nicely!

Latest posts

Back