Kit And Extract Beer Spreadsheet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unable to add base malt?

I am sure this is a obvious one, but I am unable to find a base malt in the drop down list of grains?

I click on "new recipe", choose a style of beer and want to add grains, starting with a base malt.
Which grain type do I choose as a base malt, thinking pale malt or pilsner malt.

Brilliant spreadsheet, sure it's just me :)

thanks
Bjorn

Bjorn,

Try under the DME section just above that

Cheers

Robbo

Ok, so I add the dried malt extract and the grain section is for adding some specialty grains.
I thought I could add a base malt and play with all grain recipes.

I have added a kg of dme and playing with a recipe now, great fun to see how the IBU and colour changes, how it compares with the style, etc.

thanks
Bjorn

Hey Ian,

This is fantastic! Going to make life so much easier for me.

Possible suggestion for future version:
Have a shopping list button that adds the ingredients into a list, to make ordering for a number of brews easier.

With this you can enter or get from the database your next 4 brews and hit the shopping list button and then just go and order what you need from one of the sponsors.

Thanks again

Cheers and Beers

Robbo

Could be done, some people are more organised than me. I have an idea of what I want to brew so I just buy stuff then decide what to brew. Might have to change my thinking.

I am currently planning to incorporate yeasts and a brewlog worksheet into the spreadsheet but things are at a standstill at the moment as my C drive failed and am waiting a replacement.

cheers

Ian

Unable to add base malt?

I am sure this is a obvious one, but I am unable to find a base malt in the drop down list of grains?

I click on "new recipe", choose a style of beer and want to add grains, starting with a base malt.
Which grain type do I choose as a base malt, thinking pale malt or pilsner malt.

Brilliant spreadsheet, sure it's just me :)

thanks
Bjorn

No base malts on the spreadsheet, only speciality malts that can be steeped.

this is probably the best piece of information i have gained off this site so far +1 it overtook the advice that airlock bubbles mean nothing. :lol:

Hi All

I have created Version 2.1 of the spreadsheet

View attachment Kit___Extract_Beer_Designer_V2.1.xls

I have added a yeasts worksheet and incorporated yeasts into the Main worksheet, so you can specify the yeast used. It then uses an average attenuation value for that yeast in the calculations.

I have also incorporated a brews worksheet so you can record all your brews. (I have left a couple of my brews in there to show as an example, just delete these rows to enter your brews.

The info on the Brewday worksheet can be incorporated into the Brews worksheet as a Comment. To do this, on the Brews worksheet select the required cell in Column C and then press the Control and C keys. This will run a macro which will copy Brewday worksheet cells B1:I50 to the cell as a comment. It requires that you have a copy of MSWord on you computer as the macro copies the info into Word and then to the Cell Comments.

I had a couple of problems running the spreadsheet on the XP version of Excel but hopefully now fixed.

Hope you enjoy

cheers

Ian

Thanks Ian, top stuff.

One thing I noticed is that you can't select all the kits in the list. For example I want to select from the drop down list a black rock kit but its not there. They are shown in the Kits Sheet but not in the drop down list. Hope this makes sense.

But yeah great spreadsheet, especially for someone just starting out like me.

Thanks Ian, top stuff.

One thing I noticed is that you can't select all the kits in the list. For example I want to select from the drop down list a black rock kit but its not there. They are shown in the Kits Sheet but not in the drop down list. Hope this makes sense.

But yeah great spreadsheet, especially for someone just starting out like me.

In the Kits worksheet (delete row 5 don't know how that got in there) then select the BlackRock data Columns A to D right click and copy then go to the Main worksheet select cell B158 and paste special and select values. This will add the Black Rock kits at the end of the list.

You can add stuff to any list provided you don't go get to the cell with the black border.

cheers

Ian

G'day Ian,

Your spreadsheet has been a huge help in my brewing thanks heaps.

The latest Version 2.1 when I try to use the arrow buttons to adjust quantitys it crashes. I have tried on 2 computers here and had the same result on both.

Is anyone eles having this problem or is this possibly something to do with the network at work?

Thanks

G'day Ian,

Your spreadsheet has been a huge help in my brewing thanks heaps.

The latest Version 2.1 when I try to use the arrow buttons to adjust quantitys it crashes. I have tried on 2 computers here and had the same result on both.

Is anyone eles having this problem or is this possibly something to do with the network at work?

Thanks
Hi Munut

I had a problem when I ran it on an XP version of Excel. That was fixed by doing Alt and F11 to bring up the macros page. From the Tools menu select References, one of the list that was ticked was Missing ???? untick this - then scroll down the list to Microsoft Word ???? and tick that box.

Hope that fixes your version, if not pm me with the version of Excel and the error message.

cheers

Ian

one question - wwhat do i do with honey additions? is there something i can use to approximate honey in the final summing?

chris.

ps. loving v.2.1 !!!

just one bug (don't mean to complain love ya work) centenial hops does not show up in the drop down hops list but it is on the table in the hops sheet

just one bug (don't mean to complain love ya work) centenial hops does not show up in the drop down hops list but it is on the table in the hops sheet

The hops in the table don't correspond with the drop down list.
You can add any hop you want if you scroll down in the main page to the lists of hops, grains, kits and beer styles.

Yeah thanks for letting us use this, its great. Will be putting all my recipes through it for sure

Big Kudos to the designer of this - it really is great.

Thanks Heaps

Latest posts

Back