Kit And Extract Beer Spreadsheet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow I just noticed this thread and while I may not used the spreadsheet myself I would just like to say nice work to Ian who created it. Nice work mate.

Pok

G'day Brewers,
This spreadsheet has made some nice beers here, a ripper.
I wanted to add style number 6.5 'Australian Pale Ale' from the AABC Guidelines to the beer style drop down list but I have no idea how, anyone? I typed it into the style list from the style tab but it doesn't appear and why aren't Australian beer styles recognised by the BJCP?
Cheers

G'day Brewers,
This spreadsheet has made some nice beers here, a ripper.
I wanted to add style number 6.5 'Australian Pale Ale' from the AABC Guidelines to the beer style drop down list but I have no idea how, anyone? I typed it into the style list from the style tab but it doesn't appear and why aren't Australian beer styles recognised by the BJCP?
Cheers

Hi Boagsy

I think you need to do two things to incorporate 'Australian Pale Ale' into the spreadsheet. First you need to add all the details to the Beer styles worksheet and then you need to include it on the Main worksheet in column AC cell101 down.

If you have problems, PM me the info and I will include it and any other Australian styles requested in the next version. I think I have the AABC guidelines somewhere.

I am planning an add Inventory function and a Make Recipe function, which basically will add ingredients to the Inventory worksheet and then remove them when you make the recipe and alert you if you don't have the stuff, still in the early days yet.

cheers

Ian

Wow I just noticed this thread and while I may not used the spreadsheet myself I would just like to say nice work to Ian who created it. Nice work mate.

Pok

Thanks mate, just trying to learn this brewing stuff and look after the non AG brewers that commercial software doesn't seem to cater for very well.

cheers

Ian

Hi Boagsy

I think you need to do two things to incorporate 'Australian Pale Ale' into the spreadsheet. First you need to add all the details to the Beer styles worksheet and then you need to include it on the Main worksheet in column AC cell101 down.

If you have problems, PM me the info and I will include it and any other Australian styles requested in the next version. I think I have the AABC guidelines somewhere.

I am planning an add Inventory function and a Make Recipe function, which basically will add ingredients to the Inventory worksheet and then remove them when you make the recipe and alert you if you don't have the stuff, still in the early days yet.

cheers

Ian

Thanks Mate,
That worked, after I unprotected the sheet.
I reckon I've got Buckley's chance of acheiving a FG of 1.004 - 1.006 though.
Cheers

Ianh

Great work on the spreadsheet. I think this is a fantastic resource. I have just made a small modification to the sheet that you can choose to adopt or not. Basically I have plotted in the chart the range of values for IBUs and Gravity (blue square in chart) making it easier to see if you are in the money. I also added a smaller version of the chart near the ingredients so you can see the effect of your additions as you add them.

Hope I'm not imposing with these few tweaks to an already great spreadsheet.

Starkesbier.

View attachment Kit___Extract_Beer_Designer_V2.1___a_bit.xls

Ianh

Great work on the spreadsheet. I think this is a fantastic resource. I have just made a small modification to the sheet that you can choose to adopt or not. Basically I have plotted in the chart the range of values for IBUs and Gravity (blue square in chart) making it easier to see if you are in the money. I also added a smaller version of the chart near the ingredients so you can see the effect of your additions as you add them.

Hope I'm not imposing with these few tweaks to an already great spreadsheet.

Starkesbier.

Thanks for that suggestion, I will add the box to the main chart. I think the smaller chart makes the Main page view look too busy.

If you want to see the effect of your additions you can always change the zoom level value, then change back when finished.

cheers

Ian

I'm sure it's been asked before but... Can this thread get airlocked? Or added to the FAQ?

This spreadsheet rocks.

G'day all, first of all great spreadsheet Ianh, I noticed that when you choose a 1.7 kg kit that the o.g and f.g stay the same no matter which one you choose. Does this mean all kit cans have the same fermentability? (Excuse the newbie question) The reason I ask is I am just about to put down a coopers pale ale with be2 (which I believe is 500g ldme 250g dex 250g maltodex) which gives me a o.g 1039 and f.g 1012. I think I read somewhere the f.g should be around 1006 - 1008.
With the spreadsheet I get a %alc of 3.6% if I Keg (which I do). This seems a little low or am I doing something wrong like be2 ingredients? :(
Cheers Brad

G'day all, first of all great spreadsheet Ianh, I noticed that when you choose a 1.7 kg kit that the o.g and f.g stay the same no matter which one you choose. Does this mean all kit cans have the same fermentability? (Excuse the newbie question) The reason I ask is I am just about to put down a coopers pale ale with be2 (which I believe is 500g ldme 250g dex 250g maltodex) which gives me a o.g 1039 and f.g 1012. I think I read somewhere the f.g should be around 1006 - 1008.
With the spreadsheet I get a %alc of 3.6% if I Keg (which I do). This seems a little low or am I doing something wrong like be2 ingredients? :(
Cheers Brad

Glad you like the spreadsheet. All 1.7kg kits are the same as far as og and fg are concerned, my understanding is they change the bitterness and colour to create the various kits.

With the BE2 its the Maltodex that increases the fg as it is not very fermentable. Given you have lots of malt, a little dex plus the maltodex you would expect a reasonably high fg.

Change the 250g maltodex for 250g of dex and you will get an fg of around 1.008. This assumes you are using a high (75%) attenuating yeast like the kit yeast or US05. If you swap the kit yeast for say Windsor (70%) then this would also increase the fg.

Thanks for clearing that up Ianh it makes sense now :icon_cheers:

Are you happy for us to treat this as Open Source software?

This is awesome work, I've been using Beer Smith for a while now but it'd be good to have something that keeps things simple.

Are you happy for us to treat this as Open Source software?

This is awesome work, I've been using Beer Smith for a while now but it'd be good to have something that keeps things simple.

I have no problem with you doing whatever you want with the spreadsheet, the BCJP styles are copyright however.

understood, and probably wouldn't want to edit or replicate them anyway.

Another +1 for the spreadsheet. Yesterday I put down my first brew that I made from using the spreadsheet, and I acutally hit my target gravity :D

1 ) nervous about opening an excel spreadsheet from a foreign site , but

before I do

does this spread sheet give me a list of recipes to try or does it do some calculations
from the ingredients I put into the sheet

Does the calculations for you, which basically allows you to tweak stuff to get the outcome you want :)

There are also a couple of sample recipes for you to try out saved in the macros. Very handy little tool for the beginner brewer and beyond.

Back