Kit And Extract Beer Spreadsheet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see that from what I'm reading here. FWIW I dont know why they dont just put everything in the fermenter and leave it.

Given some consideration it's going to give roughly the same amount of extra grav points at the start and finish over and above the fermentables. So for the purposes of the exercise couldn't you just add that portion of the adjuct on the end anyway as it's not going to affect your calculations anyway.

unfortunately butters is the mathematician I tend to go more by feel

One of the problems I have, I added it to the spreadsheet and the % alc goes down as I increase the maltodextrin :huh: needs more work.

With the figures I got of Beersmith does that mean that its 21.7% fermentable, which will have an effect on the final gravity? Sorry for the brainteeser ianh but cheers for giving it a crack! Help us butters :p

Just downloaded your v1.3 spreadsheet and entered my last 6 kit brews into it and compared the results with my notes.

Seems pretty spot on, even on my scottish brown where the IBU's came up in red :lol:

Now I'm going to grab all my old leftovers and see what I can make with them,
pity the spreadsheet can't tell you whether it'll taste ok or not.

Methinks this brew may be served at the end of the night to get rid of the stragglers :D

Good job on the spreadsheet.

Just downloaded your v1.3 spreadsheet and entered my last 6 kit brews into it and compared the results with my notes.

Seems pretty spot on, even on my scottish brown where the IBU's came up in red :lol:

Hi boddingtons best

Always thought Boddingtons was brewed with extract from the prisoners socks in Strangeways. Sorry I could not stand it when I lived in the NW UK.

That aside, thanks for the comments glad things matched up. Speadsheet should be pretty useable now.

cheers

Ian

Hi boddingtons best

Always thought Boddingtons was brewed with extract from the prisoners socks in Strangeways. Sorry I could not stand it when I lived in the NW UK.

That aside, thanks for the comments glad things matched up. Speadsheet should be pretty useable now.

cheers

Ian

You do realise I spent 5 years of my life drinking nothing else ... then i moved to Australia - best thing i ever did.
I know it does have a small amount of Molasses in the actual brew, probly why you thought it was an offshoot
from the Strangeways hotel laundry.

When I click New Recipe I get:

"Cannot run the macro 'the name of the spreadsheet.xls!Macro1' the macro may not be available in this workbook or all macro's may be disabled"

Ive gone into Excel options and enabled all macro's, but still get the error. Any ideas?

So, if I input 100g of Chocolate 600 into the spreadsheet, it would have the same effect as adding 50g of Chocolate 1200 to my grain steep as far as the EBC's are concerned? But not the boil gravity.

When I click New Recipe I get:

"Cannot run the macro 'the name of the spreadsheet.xls!Macro1' the macro may not be available in this workbook or all macro's may be disabled"

Ive gone into Excel options and enabled all macro's, but still get the error. Any ideas?

PM sent

So, if I input 100g of Chocolate 600 into the spreadsheet, it would have the same effect as adding 50g of Chocolate 1200 to my grain steep as far as the EBC's are concerned? But not the boil gravity.

Chocolate 1200 is not on the grains list for the main worksheet, but if you added it then you should get the same EBC values for 100g of chocolate 600 and 50 g of chocolate 1200. The OG will be different but the change is so small it may now show as being different ie <0.001

cheers

Ian

Yeah, thanks Ian. I added all the grains I have to your worksheet and changed all the EBC values to match the EBC of the batches of grain I have. Also did the same with my hop pellet types and AA levels. I'm hoping I get around the same IBU levels as those on your spreadsheet using pellets in a hop sock, although I am thinking of throwing the pellets in and straining through the sock after the flameout addition has steeped for a 30 mins or so. I've noticed using the hop concentration factor makes quite a bit of difference to the IBU's, what's your take on this calculation?
Cheers.

I've noticed using the hop concentration factor makes quite a bit of difference to the IBU's, what's your take on this calculation?
Cheers.

There are a number of ways to calculate hop bitterness levels giving quite different results. Tinseth's method seems to give the best values and this is basically the version without the hop concentration factor. But because Kit & Extract brewers boil their hops in much smaller volumes than all grain brewers I included the Garetz method which includes the hop concentration factor to accommodate very small boil volumes. The third main method based on the work of Rager tends to give much higher values for bitterness.

Personally when I started I was using 4 litres as a boil volume and but I am now using 10 litres and doing the calculations without the hop concentration factor. I think it's a matter of finding what works for your system and using that experience for determining hop bitterness levels

Awesome, thanks very much for the extra fields ianh! :beer:

Anyway I can calculate the effects of adding Coopers Brew Enhancer 1 and 2??

Does anyone know the proportional ingredients that make up the contents? If so I guess it could be calculated manually

Anyway I can calculate the effects of adding Coopers Brew Enhancer 1 and 2??

Does anyone know the proportional ingredients that make up the contents? If so I guess it could be calculated manually

Coopers be1= 600g dextrose, 400g maltodextrin
be2 = 500g dextrose, 250g maltodextrin, 250g light dry malt

Hi

Currently testing what I am calling version 2.0 of the spreadsheet.

It will allow you to name and save recipes to a Recipes Worksheet then retrieve them back into the Main Worksheet. The spreadsheet will come with four macro buttons for New Recipe (as it is now), Save Recipe, Get Recipe, and Delete Recipe.

I have done all the coding and I am now testing trying to find and fix any problems.

Also I changed the hop time cells so they will accept a D or d for dry Hopping. Doesn't affect the calculations but displays on the Brewday worksheet as Dry Hopping, plus can be saved in the recipes.

Hopefully Version 2 will ready in a few days.

cheers

Ian

Hi

Currently testing what I am calling version 2.0 of the spreadsheet.

It will allow you to name and save recipes to a Recipes Worksheet then retrieve them back into the Main Worksheet. The spreadsheet will come with four macro buttons for New Recipe (as it is now), Save Recipe, Get Recipe, and Delete Recipe.

I have done all the coding and I am now testing trying to find and fix any problems.

Also I changed the hop time cells so they will accept a D or d for dry Hopping. Doesn't affect the calculations but displays on the Brewday worksheet as Dry Hopping, plus can be saved in the recipes.

Hopefully Version 2 will ready in a few days.

cheers

Ian

Love it but I have to boot to Windoze to run it. Can I some how convert it to open office 3.1.

Many thanks for the spread sheet. :icon_chickcheers:

Yeah running Ubuntu OS :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back