Kit And Extract Beer Spreadsheet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gday ianh
Being a new brewer I've found your spreadsheet has been really useful to understand how all the ingredients effect the outcome of your brew. I am now on my 4th brew and looking at putting down a stout (now the weather is starting to cool off) and was wandering if it was possible to modify your spreadsheet to include a couple of things....
1. A section to add lactose (fully unfermentable)
2. A section to add dried corn syrup (maltodextrin? partially fermentable) with the means to adjust the percentage

I don't know if anyone else would find this useful? I've had a crack at modifying your spreadsheet myself :p but its way out of my league!

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and cheers again for your work!

:beer: Tom

Top stuff!

Just one question (not sure if it has been mentioned in this thread before). Are you sure the IBU calculations are correct in column C of the KIT sheet? I thought (at least for the Coopers hopped extracts) you needed to multiply the can IBU by the can's weight and then divide by how many liters you put it in? eg: for the Coopers IPA in row 27, IBU should be 710*1.7/23 = 54.5 IBU.

Here's the link (see towards the bottom of the page):
http://www.coopers.com.au/homebrew/hbrew.php?pid=4

Keep up the top work. :icon_cheers:

groucho

Top stuff!

Just one question (not sure if it has been mentioned in this thread before). Are you sure the IBU calculations are correct in column C of the KIT sheet? I thought (at least for the Coopers hopped extracts) you needed to multiply the can IBU by the can's weight and then divide by how many liters you put it in? eg: for the Coopers IPA in row 27, IBU should be 710*1.7/23 = 54.5 IBU.

Here's the link (see towards the bottom of the page):
http://www.coopers.com.au/homebrew/hbrew.php?pid=4

Keep up the top work. :icon_cheers:

groucho

Hi groucho

This is one of the areas of much debate. If you go through the Coopers website it calculates it as above but then says expect the fermented IBU value to be 10 to 30% less ie between 38 and 49 IBU.

Some experienced AHB brewers suggested a straight division by volume gave a more accurate value so in the current version of the spreadsheet that's what I used and it gives a value of 31 IBU.

My current thinking is that as a compromise I should use the volume rather weight for both the IBU and EBC values thus for the IPA 710*1.25/23 = 38.6 IBU and 12.5 EBC and this is what I plan to use in version 1.2 of the spreadsheet.

cheers

Ian

I'll be looking forward to trying out vers. 1.2 Ian, very useful tool. The option of adding more than three spec. grains for steeping could be handy. Also two decimal places for the weight of each ingredient would be nice and may give more accuracy.
Cheers

I'll be looking forward to trying out vers. 1.2 Ian, very useful tool. The option of adding more than three spec. grains for steeping could be handy. Also two decimal places for the weight of each ingredient would be nice and may give more accuracy.
Cheers
Hi Boagsy

Attached Version 1.2 added an extra grain plus changed the Coopers Cans. You can change the weights to display 2 decimal places, but it's only the display that's affected not the calcs.

View attachment Kit___Extract_Beer_Designer_V1.2.xls

cheers

Ian

G'day ianh,

I would also be interested in be able to include corn syrup on your spread sheet as alot of the recipes I have include this.

Besides that its a great tool and has been of great help.

Keep it up and thanks for sharing. :super:

G'day ianh,

I would also be interested in be able to include corn syrup on your spread sheet as alot of the recipes I have include this.

I beleive that's dextrose

I guess what I'm buying from the HBS must be a mixture of dried corn syrup and dextrose as the guy there said it was 30% fermentable?

ianh
Is there anywhere in your spreadsheet where you can add unfermentables so that it can be incorporated into the final SG?
Cheers

ahh they must be referring to maltodextrin..

how quickly I forget :rolleyes:

I guess what I'm buying from the HBS must be a mixture of dried corn syrup and dextrose as the guy there said it was 30% fermentable?

ianh
Is there anywhere in your spreadsheet where you can add unfermentables so that it can be incorporated into the final SG?
Cheers

I could add unfermentables but need some data. I only data I could quickly find was from Brewcraft and don't want to trust their data again. 1kg dried corn syrup in 23 litres OG 1.0166 FG 1.0156 %alc 0.19.

So if you can provide data, I can include it. I no longer have access to Beersmith to check the data

So if you can provide data, I can include it. I no longer have access to Beersmith to check the data

It's a pity that encyclopaedia Butters isn't back on the net yet :rolleyes:

This is a great tool. Wish i had it a week ago. Keep up the good work :)

It's a pity that encyclopaedia Butters isn't back on the net yet :rolleyes:

Could not agree more, my trial version of Beersmith went out of date.

Brewing an English mild tomorrow as per version 1.2 of the spreadsheet.

cheers

Ian

Just downloaded a trial of Beersmith and the values for corn syrup were 78.3% yield and a potential SG of 1.036. Not exactly sure what these figures mean but does that help? :blink:

Was reading another forum re adding lactose to stouts and they seemed to think that its best done at kegging, would any of you guys agree?

Set up an India Pale Ale on your spreadsheet today ianh, bit of luck should get it down this weekend, can't wait! :chug:

Cheers Tom

Found an error in version 1.2 when you press the new Recipe button it does not clear all the values. Caused by rearranging the page to fit in the 4th grain and then not updating the macro. Will fix in next version.

Still checking out putting maltodextrin on the spreadsheet.

cheers

Ian

Was reading another forum re adding lactose to stouts and they seemed to think that its best done at kegging, would any of you guys agree?

it shouldn't matter when you add it as it's treated as non fermentable anyway

it shouldn't matter when you add it as it's treated as non fermentable anyway

This is one of the problems I am having with maltodextrin, a number of people seem to add it after the fermentation has finished.

This is one of the problems I am having with maltodextrin, a number of people seem to add it after the fermentation has finished.

I see that from what I'm reading here. FWIW I dont know why they dont just put everything in the fermenter and leave it.

Given some consideration it's going to give roughly the same amount of extra grav points at the start and finish over and above the fermentables. So for the purposes of the exercise couldn't you just add that portion of the adjuct on the end anyway as it's not going to affect your calculations anyway.

unfortunately butters is the mathematician I tend to go more by feel

Latest posts

Back