Killed Millmaster, Need To Mill Grain!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlm

Reaction score
Well, I was just cracking some grain for tomorrows brew, (Flanders red, my first sour beer) when all of a sudden the drill starts spinning freely. Thats odd thinks I, as it seemed to be jamming a bit lately. Anyway, I've snapped the freaking drive shaft. One of the grub screws which holds on the gear had worked a bit loose and as I'm driving it with a drill with no clutch, something had to go.
Now while I'm hoping I'll be able to get a replacement roller, I was planning a big week of brewing. So are there any brisbane brewers who'd let me come around and mill a few batches? I'm at Mansfield and would be eternally grateful to anyone who could help out. I'll even bring beer.
Cheers, James.
The mikkeller is to help reduce the burning white rage. Other pics show the damage. You can see the loose grub screw on the gear.

Bw.jpg

Mill1.jpg

Mill2.jpg

Mill.jpg

James,

I'm at Holland Park West, happy for you to come over and crack some grain on my Millmaster.

You can either do it buy hand like I do, or bring over your drill.

PM me for contact details.

Cheers,

GT

Cheers GT
I'll leave the drill at home, don't want to tempt fate.

Had the same problem the other day. Was able to stop by the lhbs and use their mill which worked great. If the local brewers cant help you out, that is another option.
Anyway, it's a great excuse to look at upgrading the old marga.
Joe

fark.

Marga is a bit cheaper than a millmaster.
Contacted the supplier / manufacturer about repair / replacement?

fark.

Marga is a bit cheaper than a millmaster.
Contacted the supplier / manufacturer about repair / replacement?
Yeah, I'll be getting in touch with him, but as he's in the process of bringing out a new version, it could take a while.
You can see on this photo, the wear and tear from the loose grub screw. Also one big ding, which I guess is where the damage was done.
Mill_plate.jpg
Moral of the story, if your mill starts to jam/skip unexpectedly, it might be worth checking for this problem. The grub screw had only backed of a mm, if that.
Not a good day yesterday. Pickup on my good bass shit itself too, but hopefully its just the volume pot. However grain is cracked thanks to GT, and HLT is heating so things are on the up.
Oh and the mikkeler BW last night help too.

Happy to help out James, reckon we knocked over both lots in under half an hour, with just a little bit of extra sweat ;)

I reckon Frank should be able to help you out with the mill and if not a good discount on one of the new ones wouldn't go astray.

BTW thanks again for the beers.

Cheers,

GT

Well the rambo is fired up now Geoff, the sweating continues.....

Latest posts

Back