Kettle Volume Spreadsheets

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiesu

Reaction score
So I have noticed a few of you brewers have some snazy little kettle volume spreadsheets in your brew house that basically
tell you the Liter-age of your brewpot at a certain cm depth of liquid. I am certainly not a Mathematical kind of guy and find it a struggle
on brew day to try and find the calculators online then convert between different units and such so I was wondering if one of you would be
able to share your formula laden spreadsheets with a fellow brewer. Provided It is easy for me to put my own kettle dimensions into the
spreadsheet.

Thanks Brewers!

Jake

So I have noticed a few of you brewers have some snazy little kettle volume spreadsheets in your brew house that basically
tell you the Liter-age of your brewpot at a certain cm depth of liquid. I am certainly not a Mathematical kind of guy and find it a struggle
on brew day to try and find the calculators online then convert between different units and such so I was wondering if one of you would be
able to share your formula laden spreadsheets with a fellow brewer. Provided It is easy for me to put my own kettle dimensions into the
spreadsheet.

Thanks Brewers!

Jake

Jake, all i did was pour a litre at a time and take a measurement. Put this on a sheet of paper and use it as a reference on brew day....... to easy :icon_cheers:

Rook

For a cylinder:

V = R2h

Where V is volume, is Pi (3.142), R is the radius of your pot (internal diameter divide 2) and h is the height.
So if you measure your kettle's internal diameter (and divide it by two to get its radius) and the depth of the liquid (height) you can determine the volume of liquid you have.
Alternatively, you can re-arrange the equation to give the depth (height) for a given volume:

h = V/R2

What I did was calculate h for 5 Litres, and mark increments of that on my mash paddle to give 5, 10, 15, 20... 60L marks. I can then use my mash paddle as a dipstick to get an idea of volume in the kettle.

Note: Units are important! Litres are equal to cubic decimetres (10cmx10cmx10cm), so if you want V to be in Litres, you'll need to make your height measurements in decimetres (1dm=10cm=100mm).

AHHH beautiful gents thankyou very much exactly what i needed :) Happy Brewing!

Back