Kegmenter. Are they good to use?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mardoo said:
And what does the proper tool look like?
I got the Sanke valve / spear removal tool from Moorebeer but their sankes must be different to ours & when releasing pressure from a D-type keg, when fully screwed down, it still wasn't far enough down to allow removal of the cir clip.
I bit the bullet & got the Keg King A type spear removal tool instead & went with the A types which I find better to use anyhow.
I'm not using them for serving at the moment but I do ferment in one.

Dae Tripper said:
Nice job.
You could make a racking arm from that fitting with some pipe and o-rings

It's even easier than that.

Just need to get a corny keg dip tube, cut it to the right size and a slight bend and it's done.

It is literally a 10 minute job (which work include pouring a beer and admiring my own good work).

I'll second Dans opinion on these kegmenters so far..... Early days but I can see myself having some fun with these.

Got mine last week, with adjustable valve and disconnect, under Dancraftbeers advice, I shortened the dip tube 20 mm. Soaked in PBW, then pressure test all good.

I had brewed up 2 cubes of a Munich helles to test run this, grew up 3 x 3 ltr stepped up starters of 34/70 as I wanted to cold pitch. Chilled the cubes and decanted starters down to about 8 over night.

Sat the kegmenter into chesty, siphoned the 43 odd litres of 1048 wort into the keg after a quick sanitise of starsan.

Bubbled O2 in there for 2 mins at 2.5 ltrs a minute. Pitched the cold starters which were decanted down to approx 1 ltr total thick slurry mix.

Sealed up. Set the valve mid way.

This was fri night late, attached temp prob under insulation on side of kegmenter . It read about 9.1 after stable.

Set temp to 12 degrees , Saturday past.... Sunday morning pressure was slowly creeping up, Sunday night adjust valve to bleed off at 12 psi approx, and was slightly hissing away as well bleeding the co2 out.

Adjusted temp to 13 as I wanted to be in the middle of the 34/70 sweet spot.

Monday, hissing away nice, pressure still approx 12 psi,

Tonight , I just wanted to test it, easy as , clicked on my pluto gun, purged about 150 ml quickly into a jug,

It's cloudy and fizzy, tasted yummy , clean as considering it's only really 3 days into ferment after about 36 hrs of lag due to the cold pitch.

Tested gravity after it warmed upto 20 degrees and as much co2 as I could disperse out, and it's down to 1015 already.

Awesome.....

Tomorrow , raise temp to 14, next day to 15 and then 16 end of week. and like Dan informed me should be done by then, close valve and let it pressurise to approx 23 psi. Leave for a day or 2 and then cc it over a couple of days... Nice and gentle.

Then pressure transfer into my 2 cornies and lager for a couple of weeks.

I am already impressed with this thing and only just got it.

Can see myself getting another one, and around we go again. Going to mainly use it for lagers, and use my standard stainless fermenters for my hoppy ales and dry hopped ones...

Thanks Dancraftbeers for leading the way..

Yummo...

That's cool Coldspace. Same here I found instant basic improvements of my beer.
For bashful clarity I didn't actually lead the way I was just a follower of the way and you picked up on my thread ha.
This is a kegging (Draught Beer) style of brewing.
40lt home micro style of some commercial systems is the way I see it and it works so good. No exposures. Inject or draw from etc.
I got a 23lt Cornie style Keg to ferment half brews (20lt) like Stouts, Ciders etc, as well.
I can fit both the 50lt Kegementer with the 23lt kegmenter in my temp control fridge now. So, with time managed better I can make a 40lt brew and a 20lt brew on the same day etc.
gotta love brewing, and home cooking too, it seems to go hand in hand.

Danscraftbeer said:
That's cool Coldspace. Same here I found instant basic improvements of my beer.
For bashful clarity I didn't actually lead the way I was just a follower of the way and you picked up on my thread ha.
This is a kegging (Draught Beer) style of brewing.
40lt home micro style of some commercial systems is the way I see it and it works so good. No exposures. Inject or draw from etc.
I got a 23lt Cornie style Keg to ferment half brews (20lt) like Stouts, Ciders etc, as well.
I can fit both the 50lt Kegementer with the 23lt kegmenter in my temp control fridge now. So, with time managed better I can make a 40lt brew and a 20lt brew on the same day etc.
gotta love brewing, and home cooking too, it seems to go hand in hand.
Yeah... But you did put up some handy hints like transfer etc in this thread.

These forums are where most of us learn our craft.... No one in this world is born with the info... But some people think they do ,lol, unfortunately .

Gotta love a stainless fermenter, now to look out for a 23 ltr one:)

I like it. I picked mine up on Friday last week, hoping to get something put in it on Sunday or next week.

Anyone using a kegmenter to carbonate with an air stone?
Basically, does the underside of the lid have a barb or other fitting that a line of tubing with an airstone can be attached to?
Same idea as the carb lids some retailers sell here, but for the kegmenter, not the corny.

That would kinda defeat the purpose of it as it carbonates itself as part of the brewing under pressure method. Someone else may be able to tell you about the underside of the lid.

Kinda, the kegmenter can be used as a keg. Force carbing beer from your fermenter.

I'm getting interested in this now........ I have my soda stream adapter, I have my speigel glasses, I have my yeast coming, I have way too much grain.......Sights set on new brewing item

c8WdVEW.png

Just pitched a Kolsch into my homemade kegmenter same as above but 6'" hole & thermowell tube
to put stc probe down the middle

Set temp at 20c normally do my Kolsch at 16c

Will try & set presure to 15 psi or a touch lower

This is my first try at it so fingers crossed for a nice xmas Kolsch

Dae Tripper said:
That would kinda defeat the purpose of it as it carbonates itself as part of the brewing under pressure method. Someone else may be able to tell you about the underside of the lid.
It's not for fermented beer. It's for nitro coffee.

Can you actually fit your arm into the kegmenter for cleaning? I cant get mine in a corny. Asked the lovely wife to do a little scrub in an old one the other day, the favour would wear thin pretty quick.......

Zorco said:
Kinda, the kegmenter can be used as a keg. Force carbing beer from your fermenter.

I'm getting interested in this now........ I have my soda stream adapter, I have my speigel glasses, I have my yeast coming, I have way too much grain.......Sights set on new brewing item

c8WdVEW.png
Get one , get one, get one, get 2 lol
I love mine, I'm going to get another, one for lagers, one for my ales.

Like danscraftbeer beer, my latest helles, I put 43 ltrs of wort into it from a double batch from grainfather . O2, pitched heaps of 34/70 at 8 degrees, sealed up. Valve on. Set for approx 12 psi, temp set to 12. 2 days later hissing nicely, purged sample with pluto gun into jug, at day 5. Grav from 1048 to 1015. Tasted crisp and clean. Adjusted temp upto 17 for next 5 days. Shut valve at day 7. Pressure went to 22 psi. Day 10 test grav, at 1008 tasted yummy , clear as in my hydrometer, a lot clearer than out of my usual fermenters at same time.

Cold crash yesterday. 10 days and I prob went a couple of days longer to make sure as I'm still learning this thing. Going to cc it for 7 days then pressure transfer into 2 cornies.

So far, extremely happy with this item , toy lol.....

Thats why I got a welder to do the 6" joby kegmenter for cleaning

Maybe you could do the same for youre wife it would make it a lot easier for her

Mmmmm so many 'needs'.

They are certainly interesting, and quite a cost effective stainless fermenter, with the added bonus of pressure ferments. I'd ideally want a little more volume, 60l would be good, or two 30l ones.....

Hmmmm searching thinking searching thinking

Cheers

Yeah, great size for my current set up. Double batch grain father, gives me 2 x 15 lts cubes at about 1063. I chilled them to 5 degrees, siphoned into kegmenter. Added 12 ltrs of water , down to 1048 ish. This brought the temp upto 8-9 degrees. Perfect for my cold big pitch of yeast. Sealed up, adjusted to 12 and away I went. With the shortened dip tube, 20 mm so when transfer no sediment. Should fill my 2 x 19 ltr cornies just right.

These were designed for double batch grainfather brews lol....

Like danscraftbeer , I'm super happy so far, stainless, pressure, right size, fits into my chesty 300 ltr fermentation fridge perfectly. And reasonable price for grab and go set up.

The best thing is, I use my spunding pressure release valve to fill my little mini kegs under pressure transfer as well. No mess , no exposure and too easy.

Love it when my toys play nice together .....

I wish list for some of those mini kegs if they come around again.
Than again any PET bottle is compatible for Draught Beer done this way too.
Its the way I harvest yeast too, oh I think I mentioned that already :unsure:

Coldspace said:
Yeah, great size for my current set up. Double batch grain father, gives me 2 x 15 lts cubes at about 1063. I chilled them to 5 degrees, siphoned into kegmenter. Added 12 ltrs of water , down to 1048 ish. This brought the temp upto 8-9 degrees. Perfect for my cold big pitch of yeast. Sealed up, adjusted to 12 and away I went. With the shortened dip tube, 20 mm so when transfer no sediment. Should fill my 2 x 19 ltr cornies just right.

These were designed for double batch grainfather brews lol....

Like danscraftbeer , I'm super happy so far, stainless, pressure, right size, fits into my chesty 300 ltr fermentation fridge perfectly. And reasonable price for grab and go set up.

The best thing is, I use my spunding pressure release valve to fill my little mini kegs under pressure transfer as well. No mess , no exposure and too easy.

Love it when my toys play nice together .....

ALRIGHT ALRIGHT......stop it already..... gunna buy one....sheeeeeeshhhh! You had me at hello

I'm seeing a lot of benefits for lighter beers, especially lagers.

I need to put down some of my porter for my own use and for the upcoming qld case swap, and I'm thinking of doing a 40 L batch in the kegmenter to try it out, mainly because it's the only fermenter I have that's big enough to do that much beer at once, and also because it's been sitting there unused for a few weeks and needs some beer in it.

I guess if I set the spunding valve to a low pressure, it would be similar to a normal fermenter with an airlock.

40 litres of syrupy porter going to be not enough headspace in this? Is a krausen explosion going to stuff up the spunding valve?

Back