Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm curious to hear from folks who don't use the top plate in their BZ gen 4 . What do you do instead to get an even distribution of recirculating wort over the grain bed?
I designed and printed one of these from food safe filament
Fits the silicone hose on the Brewzilla arm nicely
Can't upload the .STL file here unfortunately but there are a few around the internet for download if you can get it printed.
(or buy one for $10 from a number of shops)

1706063117739.png

Hey Kegland, I'm in the US at the moment and just checked something on your website - chrome was complaining about the certificate using an out of date cipher suite, but it's fine when in Australia (seems to use a different cipher for Australia).

Might be worth flagging up with your website people/Shopify in case there are separate settings for different countries or something 🙂

Thanks for that. As you have purchased all of these which one would you recommend to a new customer?

I am guessing the stainless one is more expensive but is it worth the extra cost? Would love to hear your feedback.
The stainless unit is about 250 grams so it’s good to keep a piece of silicone tube nice and straight when it’s over the mash. $20ish from AliExpress. Nicely spreads the wort out across the grain if you sit it just at the grain surface.
The sergeant spray has a really good pattern (polygon) and is also good when racking to the FV. Probably the best value for money.
The CIP sprinkler needs to have small particles flushed out first but it’s good at throwing the wort over the grain (and the side of the malt pipe) I use it for CIP in the brewzilla, it does a decent job.
The white spray head I’ve had for years (Craftbrewer QLD) its okay but tends to push wort out in two directions. Cost $7.
Thanks for asking.

Hey Kegland, I'm in the US at the moment and just checked something on your website - chrome was complaining about the certificate using an out of date cipher suite, but it's fine when in Australia (seems to use a different cipher for Australia).

Might be worth flagging up with your website people/Shopify in case there are separate settings for different countries or something 🙂

That is a bit strange. Our website is all with shopify now they look after all this type of thing. Is there any chance you can send me a screen shot of the issue that you get?

That is a bit strange. Our website is all with shopify now they look after all this type of thing. Is there any chance you can send me a screen shot of the issue that you get?
Sorry, might have been a false alarm or due to the wifi I was using or something.

Seems ok now - apologies for the confusion!

In the BZ 35 lt gen4...make full volume...without washing the grains...you must consider the dead space in the pan ?

I am not quite sure what you mean? We do have a profile in Brewfather and this does all the calculations for you so I would suggest using the BZ35 profile in this software.

Do you currently use any software?

I am not quite sure what you mean? We do have a profile in Brewfather and this does all the calculations for you so I would suggest using the BZ35 profile in this software.

Do you currently use any software?
Use full volume of water in the mash ....without sparging...you must consider the dead space under the grain basket.? Beer Smith software

Hi @KegLand-com-au I've recently purchased the 100l Brewzilla Distillation lid for which I already have the Kegland reflux still attachment. I would also like to get a pot still as I plan to make grain neutral spirit in the reflux and then use a pot still to make gin.
For the pot still, Is the alembic lid important for catalysation or is the surface of the still attachment enough? I have a 40 and 50L guten which i was hoping to use with the alembic lid, are they compatible sizewise with the kegking guten units?

EDIT: still interested in an answer to the above, but I am very exited about the new video that just dropped on the distillation range coming, which way I go will ultimately come down to price...

Last edited:
I bought a grain bag for BZ gen 4...question: put it outside the grain basket or inside the grain basket.....tanks
I’ve tried with it inside the malt pipe and it was a pain in the backside. I never did try it out side the malt pipe but it would definitely make lifting the malt pipe a lot easier.

I bought a grain bag for BZ gen 4...question: put it outside the grain basket or inside the grain basket.....tanks
Try both to see what works best for you.
When using outside of the pipe, be careful when lifting and sitting the pipe on the supports.
I just use a bag now without the pipe - saves on cleaning.

Hi @KegLand-com-au

I am just wondering if there are any plans in the works for a X.1 Stainless Plus kegerator?

ie This but stainless top and sides Series X PLUS - Base Unit Keg Fridge

It's been discussed but we do not have a specific timeline for this yet.

Would you be more interested in just stainless on the outside walls+back as this would be about +$180

Alternatively would you also want the inside all stainless too as this would be about +$150

Would be keen to get your feedback on this guys.

I’ve tried with it inside the malt pipe and it was a pain in the backside. I never did try it out side the malt pipe but it would definitely make lifting the malt pipe a lot easier.

How would it make lifting the malt pipe easier? Do you normally use the stainless bar handle? I would have thought that would be easier than lifting the grain bag?

It's been discussed but we do not have a specific timeline for this yet.

Would you be more interested in just stainless on the outside walls+back as this would be about +$180

Alternatively would you also want the inside all stainless too as this would be about +$150

Would be keen to get your feedback on this guys.
Why not go a few steps further and make this a Delux Kegerator. Stainless Steel top with a built in draining drip trays and if possible with an integrated glass washer. This would add significantly to the cost but still a better alternative to the Grand Deluxe (I have a 3 door one) for home use.

@KegLand-com-au any news considering stainless fermzilla? I know it was postponed a few times already, but I'm planning on an upgrade in the near future so it would be nice to know if it's worth waiting for it :)

As compared to lifting the malt pipe with the grain bag inside, was what I meant.
The bag drains more slowly so is a bit heavier when lifting out. Slow to sparge too so better off doing no-sparge with a bag.
With the bag on the outside you can leave the bag in position to catch any bits that fall out and just lift out the malt pipe to sparge.

Latest posts

Back