Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey with the benchy

https://www.kegland.com.au/products/benchy-carbon-12-24v-dc-portable-inline-keg-dispensing-unit
Any plans to make it so each tap could dispense at a different temp? Ie one for cask ale at say 10c or a stout at 14c and one for lager at 3-5c?
That could be done. It would require another heat sink in the unit, separate temp controller and it would probably also take up a bit more space. In summary it would be about 15% bigger and be about 20% more expensive. Do you think you would prefer a unit that could do this based on the higher cost and slightly larger size?

That could be done. It would require another heat sink in the unit, separate temp controller and it would probably also take up a bit more space. In summary it would be about 15% bigger and be about 20% more expensive. Do you think you would prefer a unit that could do this based on the higher cost and slightly larger size?
Unless there is a more cost effective option, I'd be open to the extra cost for the foot print it offers and the ability to hook up two kegs and run two dispensing temps. Can't work out another way of doing it short of running two of these or two fridges/kegerators etc

Icebank wouldn't work either as if you had it cold enough to chill the lager it would be too cold for say a stout or ESB etc

Hi @KegLand-com-au, the 35 l Brewzilla extension is listed as adding 12 l capacity. But by my measurements it seems the increase in volume is more like 14 l. Can you please confirm?
I use an extension on a digiboil as a boiler in a 3V system, and since it had no trouble reaching a boil I decided to add another extension to squeeze out a bigger batch. I measured volume as 35 + 12 + volume mark on upper extension, but was surprised when I ended up with more wort than anticipated, and a lower gravity. After cubing I measured the height from bottom of digiboil to the extension volume marking and calculated a greater volume.
Greater capacity is great. And this batch won’t suffer from a lower gravity and bitterness. But it would be good to be more accurate when planning my next brew.

We do have the kegerator draft packs for commercial kegs here:
https://www.kegland.com.au/collections/commercial
and then for use with the home brew kegs here:
https://www.kegland.com.au/collections/homebrew-kegerators
Was there a particular kit type that is missing? We are more than happy to put another kit together.
All good. They were showing as out of stock for a few days but I ordered one as soon as they were back in stock. Just poured my first beer from it 2 days ago. 🍺

Are you able to provide the total length that the unit SHOULD be, so that we can check our own when having leakage issues to see if it is the length causing the issue? I have one suspect one sitting to the side I have not been able to get a seal on...
Is this dimension able to be provided please?

@KegLand-com-au can you please document / explain the Velocity (S.G Points/Day) data series on the RAPT web portal?

When enabled, I see no data points for it and not even a scale. My RAPT Pill is updated to the latest public firmware (20230420_054501_98ef1a1), which has a setting for the velocity. That setting is enabled and set to the second shortest interval (12 hours).

If you need to investigate, the relevant MAC is 78:e3:6d:3d:01:70

@KegLand-com-au can you please document / explain the Velocity (S.G Points/Day) data series on the RAPT web portal?

When enabled, I see no data points for it and not even a scale. My RAPT Pill is updated to the latest public firmware (20230420_054501_98ef1a1), which has a setting for the velocity. That setting is enabled and set to the second shortest interval (12 hours).

If you need to investigate, the relevant MAC is 78:e3:6d:3d:01:70

We are in the process of finishing off a new method of profiles that uses this so we have been holdings off on releasing a video on this until all the surrounding features are completed. With that said I can give you a bit of an update on this so you know what is in the pipeline.

The reason why this fermentation "velocity" number is so important is because it is one thing that allows us to have much better automation in our fermentation profiles. The "velocity" is how many points per day the beer fermentation moves. The pill hydrometer basically averages the last few hundred points (depending on what your interval is set to, our default will be 12hrs). It then works out the slope of this data and reports this slope as the fermentation "velocity" in units of "SG Points per day". At the moment fermentation profiles have the issue that we assume that a fermentation should jump up to a certain temp such as diacetyl rest or step down to crash chill at a certain number of days into the fermentation process but the reality is we never know when this is from the beginning of the fermentation process so making profiles is quite approximate.

Using the "velocity" number enables us to have profile control that allows us to:
1. Step up temperature to 20C when the fermentation velocity gets to 15points per day.
2. Step up the temperature to 24C diacetyl rest when the fermentation velocity gets to 10points per day.
3. Crash chill when the fermentation velocity gets to 1 point per day or less.

If we do not have this level of control we can't actually make good automation in the profile and often it will be the case that the yeast activity might be too slow by the time we jump up to diacetyl rest for instance and then it's difficult to rouse the yeast back up at this point. Conversely if we have not finished the fermentation process completely then we definitely would not want to crash chill otherwise we will not be able to get the fermentation started again.

So in my opinion this one small feature is one thing that will greatly increase the fermentation efficiencies moving forward so it's a feature that I am quite excited about. Using this feature we can literally never have made a beer before, have no idea how long the fermentation process will take but we can still have an automatic fermentation profile that will manage the process for us.

The only time I would not use the fermentation "velocity" number for a profile is at the beginning of the profile. During the aerobic fermentation period we specifically want to maintain a specific temperature for the first 4 days or so to achieve a specific flavor and aroma profile based on that beer style. So after the 4 day mark this is where the "velocity" will become relevant.

Maybe you can liken this to a workout. If you have ever spoken to a personal trainer they might recommend you to maintain a certain beats per minute to get the optimal results. Beer brewing is really the same and we want to get away from focusing on specific gravity but rather maintaining "SG points per day movement" or "yeast activity".

Thank you for the excellent explanation of the rationale behind implementing the feature. I was already familiar with the idea and suggested integrating this with a programmable spunding profile well over a year ago. It's great to hear that this is coming our way. I'm sure others will find the above explanation valuable.

I was hoping you may be able to explain how to get the velocity displayed in the RAPT portal. At the moment, enabling the Velocity data series does not show anything and it is not present in the exported data either.

Thank you for the excellent explanation of the rationale behind implementing the feature. I was already familiar with the idea and suggested integrating this with a programmable spunding profile well over a year ago. It's great to hear that this is coming our way. I'm sure others will find the above explanation valuable.

I was hoping you may be able to explain how to get the velocity displayed in the RAPT portal. At the moment, enabling the Velocity data series does not show anything and it is not present in the exported data either.

This is something that we are going to fix up very soon. If you can hold with us a couple more weeks the data series will be displayed very soon. We have been playing around with how to actually show the data series. Sometimes the first 1-2 days in the data looks a bit wired as the pill sends "average" data from before it's put into the fermenter so we are trying to think of the best way to present this type of data without it being too confusing for customers.

We made some samples of these and with our trials the main objections we got were that it was a bit ugly. Performance wise we had not issues. Due to the lack of visual appeal we have recently hired an industrial designer to assist with improving the look of the product. I know you are not going to like the sound of this but it basically means we have delayed the release until the physical design is updated.

Unlike many other products that we make that are used in the brewery this bench top kegerator really needs to look good so it can earn a place in the kitchen next to other bench top appliances.

I must say at KegLand we are great at designing the products that work great but I have to confess we are not experts at industrial design so we have had to seek outside help on this.
How is the design of the mini kegerators going @KegLand-com-au ?

Any plans for this to proceed, would be keen to order if so

I have plans to ferment apple cider.
I think that these would be good for oxygen free and transfer to another as a secondary.
Smaller batches and test out back sweetening.

How is the design of the mini kegerators going @KegLand-com-au ?

I think with the design process we are now complete. We are currently testing the first samples and seeing how they perform. We are fairly happy with the outcome so far so at my best guess I would say they should in stock by mid next year.

Any plans for this to proceed, would be keen to order if so

We have not had a lot of interest for this yet other than the last comment on the forum. At the end of the day if we get enough interest we will make the product but we are not quite at this stage yet.

Latest posts

Back