Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@KegLand-com-au

Are the poppets in the stainless steel carb cap replaceable? i bought a couple of caps a few weeks ago now and first time i used one, there is a slight leak, probably a dodgy o-ring, it happens.

I have a few new poppets in a corny keg kit i bought ages ago, would be easier than sending it back for replacement.
There's a ring clip on the underside you flick out and the lot come out same as a corny.
Can be a pain to put back together.
Get a spare ball lock and a short piece of hose and try and back flush it with hot water as sugars are probably clogging it and stopping it from closing off.
I always back wash mine with cold water since it happened to me and leave the ball lock on to let it dry out and all have stopped playing up since

Sorry if I missed it, but is there an ETA on the new version of the flow control disconnects?

Are you able to get retaining rings/circlips for your duotight push in fittings?
Just an extra piece of mind for any hose that bends straight out of the connector.

Re: the Maltzilla: assuming the aluminium hopper isn't going to be ready for purchase anytime soon, can anyone confirm if the mouth of those 12L water bottles attaches firmly into the inlet of the Maltzilla properly? or does it move around and you need to secure it somehow?

How many people got a Maltzilla and are happy with the purchase?

Re: the Maltzilla: assuming the aluminium hopper isn't going to be ready for purchase anytime soon, can anyone confirm if the mouth of those 12L water bottles attaches firmly into the inlet of the Maltzilla properly? or does it move around and you need to secure it somehow?

How many people got a Maltzilla and are happy with the purchase?

It just drops in but is stable and doesn’t go anywhere. Have done 4 or 5 brews and pretty happy now it’s dialled in.

E2B38756-F8EF-4232-8043-E534A9E5DF24.jpeg

102 uses. Was just too tall.

Hi KegLand
I'm looking to start kegging, I'm interested in fermenting 19L batches and storing the brews in corny kegs (kept at room temperature), and decanting these into 5L kegs to keep in the fridge. Will I need to hook up the 5L keg to a CO2 source while it's in the fridge, or can I pressurise the 5L keg and put it in the fridge? I'm trying to avoid the need to keep a CO2 cylinder in the fridge

Fits in nicely just sits there but doesn't really move around, I seem to keep getting mine blocked.

Hi KegLand
I'm looking to start kegging, I'm interested in fermenting 19L batches and storing the brews in corny kegs (kept at room temperature), and decanting these into 5L kegs to keep in the fridge. Will I need to hook up the 5L keg to a CO2 source while it's in the fridge, or can I pressurise the 5L keg and put it in the fridge? I'm trying to avoid the need to keep a CO2 cylinder in the fridge
You will still need gas to push the beer into glasses.

Hi KegLand

You could get away with pressurising, pouring a few, and then repressurising if the flow gets too slow and at the end of a session. But you'll definitely need to have gas NEAR the fridge if not in the fridge.

You could get away with pressurising, pouring a few, and then repressurising if the flow gets too slow and at the end of a session. But you'll definitely need to have gas NEAR the fridge if not in the fridge.

Could also use a Mini reg and Soda stream bottle or CO2 bulbs (get a big bottle and refill the Soda stream bottle to make it cheaper if need be)

Hi KegLand
Go to pertek or similar shop and buy 1/8th hydraulic line. The fridge will seal over it just buy reducers for connecting fittings it'll look messy but work.
More expensive but neater would be the large refillable soda stream with reg here if space is your concern.
https://www.kegland.com.au/kegland-mini-regulator-sodastream-16g-bulb-compatible-the-fanginator.html.

Could also use a Mini reg and Soda stream bottle or CO2 bulbs (get a big bottle and refill the Soda stream bottle to make it cheaper if need be)
thanks everyone for the advice
I already have a 2.6kg CO2 to refill sodastream bottles, I'll look into a soda stream bottle in fridge solution

@KegLand-com-au how far are you away from your 6 tap kegerator and your own PET bottles?

This is going fairly well. This new kegerator model should be available before the end of the year but we do not have an exact date yet.

The new PET 8L kegs are still a little way off and I hope we can release them this year but we have a lot of work to do on these.

Go with a voltage controller. Have it on full power until your wash starts to heat up then reduce to about half power. The temp of the boil will automatically rise as you are taking out the alcohol. The voltage controller will not damage the digiboil, well it hasn't damaged my Robobrew anyway

Yes that is correct. The voltage controller will not damage the digiboil unit. Really the only problem is if you go too low in power the screen will just turn off and the elements will go off all together. You will however get good adjustment from about 50% to 100%.

@KegLand-com-au

Are the poppets in the stainless steel carb cap replaceable? i bought a couple of caps a few weeks ago now and first time i used one, there is a slight leak, probably a dodgy o-ring, it happens.

I have a few new poppets in a corny keg kit i bought ages ago, would be easier than sending it back for replacement.

We have made the new carbonation caps more serviceable now. As you can see here:
https://www.kegland.com.au/media/pdf/KL10788 - Carbonation Cap Improvements April 2020.pdf

We changed the carbonation caps more recently so you can remove the underside without damaging the o-ring.

In most instances the poppet will not need to be replaced. It's just a matter of giving them a clean. The most common issue is hops stuck in the poppet spring.

Back