Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, it'd be nice to know if Smurto is getting a bit of compensation for the sale of his hard work in developing those recipes

oh boy, another bandwagon of hate and conspiracy
you aint got nothing better to do spork? the question's been asked.
I fail to see where I hated on them, it was a simple question
It's nice to see you rabid fanbois jump to that conclusion every time

Any updates on the PET bottle T Piece?

Tooling has already started. Tooling normally takes about 4 weeks to complete. Then we have to do internal testing here for at least 3 weeks with the first samples that come out of tooling. Once this is confirmed we would then run a batch of several thousand of them and these will take about 3 weeks to arrive. So the total lead time is 4 weeks + 3 weeks + 3 weeks and this lead time is approximate and it's also if we run into any issues or the product needs to get changed, tooling modified etc then we go back to the beginning.

Hey @KegLand-com-au

Just curious are the DrSmurto range of kits done in partnership with the legendary DrSmurto himself? or are they just duplicating his recipes?

Yes absolutely these were done in partnership. Dr Smurto has a legendary status for recipe development especially on this forum. He comes from a science background, has a long history of home brewing and I believe is Golden Ale is one of the most popular recopies ever put on this forum. So naturally he was a good fit for us to work with him on recipe development.

I really believe that Dr Smurto is the type of guy that wants to help other brewers make better beer so I really got to take my hat off to him and say thanks for helping us and also helping the other forum members.

You can see we now have 14 Extract Recipe Kits that have been formulated by him on the extract recipe part of our website:
https://www.kegland.com.au/ingredients/recipe-kits/extract-recipe-kits.html?p=1

Woke up this morning to multiple emails/texts about this.

No, Kegland haven't just whacked my name on their own recipes. Kee approached me and asked if I'd be interested in creating some recipes for KegLand. I agreed and these are my own recipes that I tweaked to use their ingredients.

I've brewed quite a few kit beers since starting AG, a few times to see if the experience learned brewing AG could be used to improve my kit recipes (the scientist in me coming out) the answer is yes. A few times to help out kit brewing mates with recipes for their favourite beers (generally craft beers and the big breweries version of crafty beers) and a few times to stir up AG brewers by putting a kit beer in a case swap without telling them. Even brewed some for myself when short on time - steep and mini boil on the stove whilst cooking dinner.

And yes, I was paid for my recipes.

Woke up this morning to multiple emails/texts about this.

No, Kegland haven't just whacked my name on their own recipes. Kee approached me and asked if I'd be interested in creating some recipes for KegLand. I agreed and these are my own recipes that I tweaked to use their ingredients.

I've brewed quite a few kit beers since starting AG, a few times to see if the experience learned brewing AG could be used to improve my kit recipes (the scientist in me coming out) the answer is yes. A few times to help out kit brewing mates with recipes for their favourite beers (generally craft beers and the big breweries version of crafty beers) and a few times to stir up AG brewers by putting a kit beer in a case swap without telling them. Even brewed some for myself when short on time - steep and mini boil on the stove whilst cooking dinner.

And yes, I was paid for my recipes.

Glad to see Dr Smurto's recipes still contributing to the HB community.

I'd wager most of us have brewed a DS recipe. My first all grain was Dr Smurto's landlord and it is still one of the best beers i've made.

All the KK/KL BS aside, it's great to see a legend of Australian all grain brewing making an ongoing contribution to the scene, and I for one could care less who has facilitated it.

JD

P.S. This forum is much the poorer now that guys like Dr Smurto, Thirsty Boy, Doc, Tony, Argon (to name a few) no longer contribute.

Last edited:
I know this isn't a KL thing but is there a definitive list of genuine Dr Smurto all grain recipes anywhere?

I know this isn't a KL thing but is there a definitive list of genuine Dr Smurto all grain recipes anywhere?

Is that something you want us to talk to Dr Smurto about? We could ask him about some all grain recopies if that's something you guys want us to do. We are going to start saving some recopies into the BrewFather software. This is really the best software we have found for the job. We used to use Beer Smith and still sell the licences but I think that BrewFather makes the whole process even easier. Do any of you guys get your recopies from this software at the moment?

We have been using the MaltZilla here for some time now. It draws grains, corn, and other materials far better than any other Mill that we have made but largely the reason it works so well is the surface finish on the rollers. At the moment the surface finish is really quite expensive and we want the mill to be priced so its competitive with other mills available. The roller diameter is also really quite large and this was one of the other reasons why the grain mill gives a much better crush. The same issue also applies. The large diameter adds a lot of cost to the rollers and we are making more moulds and changing the way the mill is manufactured so we can still have these important design features but be very price competitive.

Originally we were going to introduce a traditional knurled roller first and then release the new surface treated roller at a later date but honestly I think the knurled rollers will be a product of the past once the new rollers are available.

In summary, we have some new units that will be the first out of our new moulds and these will arrive to us for testing in 4 weeks and we will need about 5-6 weeks to thoroughly test these samples. Fingers crossed this is the last variation that we make on this product. If everything goes well we will then produce the first shipment and we will have the stock arrive about 4 more weeks after that. So I would say most likely 12-15 weeks. I wish it was sooner but we are just trying to be as realistic as possible.
Any update on these mills? Must be 12 weeks since this last post. A mill is top of my Christmas wish list at the moment, and you have made these new ones sound so good, I don't want to settle for something inferior.

Any update on these mills? Must be 12 weeks since this last post. A mill is top of my Christmas wish list at the moment, and you have made these new ones sound so good, I don't want to settle for something inferior.

Yea I'm super keen to hear as well.

Will these replacement keg posts work with genuine Cornelius poppets?
I've got universal poppets in some atm but they restrict the beer flow terribly. I'm using flow control disconnects and i've had to wind them fully open and replace my 4mm beer line with only 1m(!) of 5mm line and i still can't get a good pour at 10-12psi. The combination of flow control disconnects and universal poppets is just not working out for me.

I'm using flow control disconnects and i've had to wind them fully open and replace my 4mm beer line with only 1m(!) of 5mm line and i still can't get a good pour at 10-12psi.

I was using he flow control disconnects and had problems with slow pours (using kegland kegs) with 1.5m of 4mm evabarrier that came with my series 4 KL kegerator , I changed to 5mm evabarrier at about 90cm’s long with not much better results. I’ve gone back to the plastic disconnects with 1.5m of 4mm and getting good pours again ;)

Last edited:
What do @KegLand-com-au recommend as a heat source for the Fermzilla for those of us outside Australia who can't buy the recommended heat wrap? Will not be using the unit inside a fridge, but will have the insulating jacket.

What do @KegLand-com-au recommend as a heat source for the Fermzilla for those of us outside Australia who can't buy the recommended heat wrap? Will not be using the unit inside a fridge, but will have the insulating jacket.

Basically I would recommend anything with a low watt density. If it's coming in contact with the fermenter body the silicone heat belts have too hot surface temperature making them not as good for this application.

With that said if you are using an insulating jacket the heater doesn't even need to be in contact with the FermZilla. You can just place it on the floor of the bag and the heat will gently rise up into the unit.

I was using he flow control disconnects and had problems with slow pours (using kegland kegs) with 1.5m of 4mm evabarrier that came with my series 4 KL kegerator , I changed to 5mm evabarrier at about 90cm’s long with not much better results. I’ve gone back to the plastic disconnects with 1.5m of 4mm and getting good pours again ;)

The current design have some inherent flow restriction which is part of the design. Most customers using these would not use the 4mm ID tubing as the tubing already gives you quite a lot of flow resistance so you are kinda doubling up on the flow resistance if you do that. If you are going to use the FC disconnect you can use about 1-2 meters of the 5mm or 6mm ID.

With that said we have had some other customers request that the FC disconnects in the fully open position to have less flow resistance so we are going to make a G2 model so that when this is in the fully open position it will have similar flow resistance as a regular stainless or plastic ball lock disconnect. The only problem with the new G2 design is it has a few more mechanical components which means the price to manufacture is a couple dollars extra.

I really want the FC disconnects to work. I've invested in three GovReg regulators for my fridge and the idea is to have the pressure settable individually on each keg and then just dial in the pour rate with the FC disconnects.

The current design have some inherent flow restriction which is part of the design. Most customers using these would not use the 4mm ID tubing as the tubing already gives you quite a lot of flow resistance so you are kinda doubling up on the flow resistance if you do that. If you are going to use the FC disconnect you can use about 1-2 meters of the 5mm or 6mm ID.

With that said we have had some other customers request that the FC disconnects in the fully open position to have less flow resistance so we are going to make a G2 model so that when this is in the fully open position it will have similar flow resistance as a regular stainless or plastic ball lock disconnect. The only problem with the new G2 design is it has a few more mechanical components which means the price to manufacture is a couple dollars extra.

I'd definitely look at upgrading once these are available.

I think it's a combination of the universal poppets and the FC disconnects making it worse. Interestingly, I pulled apart a post on my KL mini keg tapping head and while it uses a universal style poppet the spring is shorter and has one less turn than the springs in the bag of KL poppets i have. I will try cutting down the springs once the kegs are empty, still not ideal tho.

@KegLand-com-au can i try genuine Cornelius poppets in your posts? will they fit?

Latest posts

Back