Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen you guys mention not to put a heat belt directly onto the Fermzilla body, is that the same for the heat wrap?
I'm sure with the heat resistant body though that direct heat application will be a non issue.

I have a bit more of a substantial system, but still a 1/2" CIP should chew through approx 45LPM. I had tried the 25w and 65w pumps but was unsatisfied with the results.
I now use a 53LPM constant pressure pump and couldn't be happier with the results. Just as an FYI.

1. Yes we tried the 25 and 65watt pumps and unfortunately these pumps do not develop suitable pressure and flow rate so I would agree with you. This is one of the reasons why we do not sell these pumps for this application and we are looking for a more suitable pump at the moment. If you dont mind me asking which pump model did you end up going with.

2. This heat wrap is fine to put around the body of the FermZilla. The watt density of the heat wrap is low enough that this is not an issue. If you go with this heat belt the watt density is too high so we would not recommend putting it directly onto the FermZilla body. With that said if you have a heat belt then you can just wrap it around the stainless frame and this will also do a suitable job too (provided you have some insulation around the whole fermenter and belt.

We really find that crash chilling and removing most of the hops from the cone first quite an important step.

When you get the blocking issues how long after adding hops is this? Have you left enough time for the hops to settle out?

I use a kegmenter, so removing the hops before transfer is not really an option. I try to avoid any exposure to O2, so usually dry hop after primary fermentation has subsided, but before fermentation has completed. Last few times I used Citra LupLN2, which gives me dry hopping with less green mass, however the powder is finer that what you have in normal hop pellets. I remove the airlock lid, add hops and fit the two post lid with a blowtie. I let the fermentation complete at 18C with the hops (usually 3-5 days), then chill to around 2C for 24-48 hours, then transfer.

As much as I am not keen on using a hop bag, I think I might have to.

1. Yes we tried the 25 and 65watt pumps and unfortunately these pumps do not develop suitable pressure and flow rate so I would agree with you. This is one of the reasons why we do not sell these pumps for this application and we are looking for a more suitable pump at the moment. If you dont mind me asking which pump model did you end up going with.

2. This heat wrap is fine to put around the body of the FermZilla. The watt density of the heat wrap is low enough that this is not an issue. If you go with this heat belt the watt density is too high so we would not recommend putting it directly onto the FermZilla body. With that said if you have a heat belt then you can just wrap it around the stainless frame and this will also do a suitable job too (provided you have some insulation around the whole fermenter and belt.

That's good to know about the heat wrap.
I'm just using a fridge atm for cooling and indirectly heating the chamber with a belt.

I'm keen on going the temp twisted in a 55lt and setting it up as a glycol system :)

I just bout a 90buck XU1 constant pressure pump from Bunnings.
All in all pretty happy with it.

It's really annoying when your 'new' product is instantly out of stock, or was never in stock.
Why are you adding them to your site if they aren't available for purchase?
4/7 of the below aren't available.

Maybe have a 'coming soon' section so items don't show up as new?

upload_2019-8-2_11-32-24.png

I have a suggestion. Would it be a problem to be able to add products that aren't I stock to the cart? There's already a message that mentions some of the items in the cart aren't in stock if they were added then were sold out. I just would like to be able to add items so I can remember everything that I would like to get.

I've forgotten items because I can't remember everything that I'd like.

I have a suggestion. Would it be a problem to be able to add products that aren't I stock to the cart? There's already a message that mentions some of the items in the cart aren't in stock if they were added then were sold out. I just would like to be able to add items so I can remember everything that I would like to get.

I keep a spreadsheet for that. hahahaha with links :)

A wish list is good for that.

I am just starting out learning about balancing a Co2 setup and the info online only has resistance for vinyl & polyethylene tube..
  • 3/16″ ID vinyl tubing = 3 psi/ft
  • 1/4″ ID vinyl tubing = 0.85 psi/ft
  • 3/16″ ID Polyethylene tubing = 2.2 psi/ft
  • 1/4″ ID Polyethylene tubing = 0.5 psi/ft

• I can only find in the EVA 5mm ID product description "you will need to use about 3-4 meters of beer line to get adequate flow resistance"
What is the resistance of the EVA Barrier 4 & 5mm ID Tubes
Thanks
Michael

I am just starting out learning about balancing a Co2 setup and the info online only has resistance for vinyl & polyethylene tube..

• I can only find in the EVA 5mm ID product description "you will need to use about 3-4 meters of beer line to get adequate flow resistance"
Thanks
Michael
Not going to help you, what is the height between your keg and outlet? makes a difference, start with 3 mtrs and trim till you get desired pour, different c02 saturations will require different lengths of the same diam line, your question is a bit like "how long is a piece of string" Unless of couse you're doing some Uni stuff in which case do your own reseach.

Thanks
Michael
Use this to figure out how much you need: http://www.mikesoltys.com/2012/09/17/determining-proper-hose-length-for-your-kegerator/

Is the scale of the Precision Hydrometer set (KL14069) misquoted by a factor of 10? i.e. should they be 1.000 - 1.010 , 1.010-1.020 etc?

Description currently says they're:

Hydrometer 1 - 1.000-1.100
Hydrometer 2 - 1.100-1.200
Hydrometer 3 - 1.200-1.300
Hydrometer 4 - 1.300-1.400
Hydrometer 5 - 1.400-1.500
Hydrometer 6 - 1.500-1.600
Hydrometer 7 - 1.600-1.700

Which would make hydrometer 1 a normal sort of hydrometer for beer, hydrometer 2 marginally useful for imperials, quads, and barleywines, and hydrometers 3-7 completely useless.
*bump*

would also like to know before ordering a set

I'm old school
I own paper and a pencil

Thanks for the advice guys. So we need a coming soon status by the sounds of it. I will talk to the web designer about this and see what we can do. We are planning a major website overhaul at the moment so it's something that we will probably implement in this overhaul.

Thanks for the advice guys. So we need a coming soon status by the sounds of it. I will talk to the web designer about this and see what we can do. We are planning a major website overhaul at the moment so it's something that we will probably implement in this overhaul.

Also as was said above, the ability to add out of stock items to wishlist would be great also..

Question on the brewzilla 65 pump. First brew and I was chilling my wort through your counter flow chiller with a hose on the outlet rising approximately 1m into my fermentation tank. The flow was at a trickle taking approximately 40minutes to cool a 40l batch. Do you reckon I had a blockage in my chiller or would the pump struggle under these circumstances? Is there a retrofittable pump that has more pressure to cope? I did try backflushing the cooler and didn't appear to have a blockage...

Back