Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree they do get a bit of a rough time on this forum, some of it justified, some of it not so. I'm a happy customer of there's and it's a good effort to keep responding and to keep trying to address issues. It seems like you can barely make a positive comment about them without someone accusing you of being a paid employee. Its the nature of forums and social media though, brings out the worst in people.

I agree they do get a bit of a rough time on this forum, some of it justified, some of it not so. I'm a happy customer of there's and it's a good effort to keep responding and to keep trying to address issues. It seems like you can barely make a positive comment about them without someone accusing you of being a paid employee. Its the nature of forums and social media though, brings out the worst in people.

Probably doesn't help that in all these kegland-keg king threads, there was an actual keg king employee under a disguise commenting....

Whatever happened to Beir Hearder. I miss him.

@TheBeerBaron Agree with you - my only affiliation is I purchase stuff from them and also KK, Oh plus I won some universal cornie posts and a hat :)

But they do seem to be trying to address issues so good on them.

Also agree about ingredients.
I buy from Grain and Grape (good excuse to pop over on Saturday and check out the brew demo and of course sample a few beers.)
plus other Brewshops, basically to spread my few dollars around a little.
Rather support a number of smaller businesses than give it all to the big guys.
I wouldn't want to end up with a Coles/Woolworths situation for brewing supplies.

Ol' Bier Hearder is still kicking, on Facebook at least. Looks to have toned down the crap a bit.

I wouldn't want to end up with a Coles/Woolworths situation for brewing supplies.

I don't see this really happening. KL make good 'brewery parts' that they design themselves, but I don't see them offering a competitive advantage over your LHBS for grain, hops and yeast. No offence to KL at all.

I also don't see them cornering the market with the 'brewery parts'. There's a half dozen electric BIABs on the market and the differences seem pretty minimal. The innovation and competition they're providing is great and should be celebrated and criticised, but I hardly see a duopoly forming.

Did anyone who received underweight hops actually get in touch with Kegland and discuss the issue before posting here
I was the one who first raised it and no, I didn't, I did contact them about the AA% as that was the first thing I noticed when I received the hops, their email reply was somewhat underwhelming and I felt brushed aside. It wasn't until brew day that I noticed the weight discrepancy and to be honest, as I needed exactly 200g (ended up with 176g) I felt KL customers on here deserved to be made aware immediately rather than having the issue swept away under an email rug.

Clearly it was of interest to a number of people here (still is apparently) and KL needed to know that from a customer perspective and in doing so they are now actively addressing it which I think is great for them and their customers. Infact, the main reason I raised it here was because KL have responded well to most of us as a group and suggestions like marking the bags as 90g (amongst others) is what comes out of a group discussion like that. I don't feel I was being negative or counter-productive, I may have initially been a tad annoyed but in the end good progress was made!

Anyway, I've well and truly moved on, I'm far more interested in when I can get my hands on a new fermenter! :)

Also, though you guys might be interested in this product. Eventually this will become our recommended flow control device:

https://www.kegland.com.au/flow-control-ball-lock-disconnect-flow-restrictor.html

We have only just finished this simple product. It's a bit more expensive that a normal stainless steel ball lock disconnect but it's cheaper than purchasing a stainless ball lock disconnect and a more expensive flow control tap.

It also works far better than flow control taps too so from that perspective it's really the best option too. Would be keen to see what you guys think of this device.

Will this be able to adequately control the flow on your mini kegs? I have a flow control tap currently and it's not great unless I have the pressure right down

I'm waiting for this fc disconnect as well. The fc intertap connected straight on a disconnect doesn't work very well.

I'll wait a bit for feedback before l purchase to see how good it is, otherwise I'll rig something else for my portable system

I don't see this really happening. KL make good 'brewery parts' that they design themselves, but I don't see them offering a competitive advantage over your LHBS for grain, hops and yeast. No offence to KL at all.

I also don't see them cornering the market with the 'brewery parts'. There's a half dozen electric BIABs on the market and the differences seem pretty minimal. The innovation and competition they're providing is great and should be celebrated and criticised, but I hardly see a duopoly forming.
This is interesting, I don't agree with idea that KL don't have a great opportunity, if they got their shit together they could own the market for brew bits and ingredients. For example, I'm not aware of another >50L 1V brewery for ~$650 (or under $5K actually), and nothing competes with the robobrew 35 at $399.

KL's grains are far cheaper on demand than I can get locally pre-shipping, the hops are cheap (albeit potentially sold above weight like my Centennial), but they currently ship hops and yeast warm for the 2-6 days it takes to get to my house via shipping company and delivery agent. Good reasons to avoid them if you have a better option.

In any case I don't think a monopoly is what we want as a consumer.

As an observer I speculatively wonder if KK's current ownership situation came to be because MCH thought they had (or could establish)such a privileged position.

From the consumer's perspective, there are many people who don't have a particularly good LHBS available. I live in the 3rd largest city in the country (can see the CBD from my verandah) but I'm over half an hour's drive (on a good day) from any credible LHBS; and those I'd give my dollars to are open <= same hours that I work.

Thankfully one of my locals does decent courier rates; and has accommodated the occasional out-of-session pickup from the store, but if I'm waiting on the postman for equipment am I going to care where here it comes from if KL are (for example) $50 cheaper directly?

I been watching this thread for quite a while and acknowledge KL’s efforts to fix the underweights. Coming from the alcohol & beverage and packaged fruits sector, I know that under volumes/ under weights are not on! Ever! Remember stories of the grocery/butcher with thumbs on the scales? That’s why Fair trading had a weights section. It should never have happened - but they fixed the problem.
I am interested in the flow control disconnects, as I hosted a “got to empty some kegs” gathering and the Intertap flow control taps are useless on a mini keg Jockey box set up (mine is from Ikegger and has 2metres of line behind each tap and I still had foaming). I had less dramas with the old style foam control (the round adjustable thing). But like others I will wait and see!
Finally the KL/KK thing is really a matter for the courts & I tend to spread my spending around. KL are good for some hardwear and cleaning products - but as for loyalty to one company? Yeah Na!
Cheers

Hey KL!

I am really excited about the cannular - you guys are going to smash it.

Question about the cans .. what size are they? and are you planning on releasing different size cans?

Are your gas bottles "speed gas" bottles? I have had a few people tell me they will only fill up those.
Hi Thomas, no they are not, mine has "kegland" stamped on it. This whole "we don't fill competitors bottles" thing is rubbish and extremely short sighted, it's an attempt to force you into purchasing one of their bottles at inflated prices, any forward thinking supplier will fill any approved bottle providing it is in test (no more than ten years after testing) $70 in the till is better than nothing, and nothing is what they'll get after quoting you $200 plus for one of "their" bottles. Bunnings currently do a purchase then swap and go on oxy and acetelyne (core gas) can't wait for them to do co2 and Nitrogen (I have one of their oxy bottles $50 swap) I remember when propane was a buy then refill your bottle and then buy another one after it's use buy date, now we have swap and go at almost any servo and no questions about who the bottle came from. I have no sympathy for LHBS's complaining about falling sales then refusing to take my money because the bottle has the wrong name stamped on it, they've invested quite a lot of money on the refill pump and infrastructure so to me their refusal to use it based on greed (is there any other reason?) appears lunacy. Ok rant over. Search around you should be able to find refill station that has a sensible business model, good luck and have a brewing New Year, cheers G

Back