Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to stir up trouble, that definitely wasn't my intention.

Just seemed a big call using limited resources to chase essentially a 1.5% improvement in packaging losses (assuming the average hop pellet weights 1g, meaning the nature of the product induces a 1% difference in a 100g package, and the current accuracy of the packaging equipment is +5% or +/-2.5%).

Maybe KegLand have already worked this out but if these machines are expensive surely it’s simpler and easier on a 100g bag of hops to set the target weight to 110g. Some will get 100g.....some will get up to 120g, on average overall assuming the weighing machine is random it will be 110g.
So if you sell X number of bags per month and the cost price of your hops per gram is Y then you are ‘giving away’ 10g per bag which would equate to a cost to the business of 10 * Y * X (per month). Now over so many years if this is a lot less than the cost of this new +/- 5% machine then just do that. You’ll still get people moaning that they have bought 100g of hops and are only getting 95g so I don’t see how that’s going to fix the problem.

They did say +5% so nobody will be receiving less that the advertised weight, so everyone should be happy.

Last edited:
Agreed! It looks like they are really trying, and not shying away from the fact there are issues. They could just not respond, but are actively engaging and trying to do the right thing despite some opposition.
Only after the tolerance excuse didn't work, pretty poor that they sent them out underweight in the first place. Next thing I would be asking is can I be sure I am getting the hops I ordered? Or are they substituting some other hop.

Only after the tolerance excuse didn't work, pretty poor that they sent them out underweight in the first place. Next thing I would be asking is can I be sure I am getting the hops I ordered? Or are they substituting some other hop.

Yes I would agree with the sending orders out underweight isn't great. Put's doubt in my mind ordering hops from them, but also, I have well over 3kg and no time to brew so I don't need hops anytime soon. Still won't stop me in the future from ordering hops/grain if needed, they are close and offering a product at a good price from a reputable source (bintani/ hopco etc).

However, for any supplier that breaks down hops can you be assured what hops you are getting? All suppliers have faults with their systems procedures. If you go looking for negatives, you are gaurunteed to find them.

I don't look for negatives without good reason, I was waiting on the Fermentasaurus 2 but got sick of the excuses, ended up getting the original.

@KegLand-com-au the hop alpha acid was an easy mistake to make and just as easy to rectify so may I suggest an easy fix for the weight variance?

Rather than 100g within + or - 10%. How about you simply advertise and label your hops as 90gm like some other retailers like here for example https://www.craftbrewer.com.au/amarillo-usa-pellets-90gm

In reality nothing will have changed. You will still be cheaper than your competitors so customers should be happy about that but even happier if they happen to get a bonus 10% or 20% hops.

Fermentasaurus Gen 2 - 27L
We have decided to make some further changes to this and we have re-designed the collection container.
Thanks for addressing this, I'll hold out for a while longer knowing that it's still coming and you guys are refining it - that's all I (and probably others) needed to know. The collection bottle was the one area of concern I had with regards to all the things you mentioned so it's good to see you paying attention to that critical component..

Rather than 100g within + or - 10%. How about you simply advertise and label your hops as 90gm like some other retailers
I would have totally been fine with this when purchasing, I wasn't fussed about the price, my issue was that I was working to an absolute amount of 200g hops in a recipe and when it was ~30g short it came as a surprise. I bought some more hops from the LHBS for the dry hop.

If there is anything else we can do to improve the service or satisfaction regarding hops please let us know. One thing that we are committed to doing is taking on feedback from our customers and if we can improve then we will.
This is great guys, your commitment to customer service is all anyone asks and even though we have the odd whinge I think if you involve us in the process we can collectively be a great sounding board, plus there's no consulting fees! ;)

The last minute Fermentasaurus 2 changes sound great. Happy to keep waiting for a better product!

I'd seen a lot of discussions about introducing Oxygen into the wort via the dry hopping and trub collection process, so it sounds like a great win in closing that one off. Keep up the good work, looking forward to owning one!

@KegLand-com-au, I see you're now selling the 65 watt Mark II mag drive pumps with the 3/4" BST fittings. What is the suggestion for using quick disconnect hoses on these? I see you sell a 1/2 to 3/4 threaded adapter, but it's the wrong way around for this application. All the camlocks are 1/2" from what I can see too. Any other suggestions?

Canning Machine
We have spent a lot of time working on new canning machines. The new canning machines will be available in Feb or March 2019. Home scale canning is really something that we are excited about. The price on the canning machine will be about $400.
Will you be selling printable labels?

For obvious reasons it would be great to be able to print of a professional looking label for the cans. :)

There may be some that are still not happy with them, but you can't say they are not realising there is a problem, listening and then trying to rectify the problem.

Maybe lay off them a bit or just don't post and follow it up directly with Kegland. This thread (and AHB) was going alright there for a moment....well a couple days anyway.

Definitely "tall poppy" stuff going on here. I said earlier somewhere... there is so much animosity towards a business actually engaging target customers and providing products at keen prices and people still want to blow them up.

Definitely "tall poppy" stuff going on here. I said earlier somewhere... there is so much animosity towards a business actually engaging target customers and providing products at keen prices and people still want to blow them up.
Everyone has a right to complain about the under weight hops, seems like you have a thing against criticism against Keg Land, right from your very first post, take out the inkbird give away's and 87.5% of your posts are about Keg Land. Wonder why that is, not much subtly there.

maxresdefault.jpg

Everyone has a right to complain about the under weight hops, seems like you have a thing against criticism against Keg Land, right from your very first post, take out the inkbird give away's and 87.5% of your posts are about Keg Land. Wonder why that is, not much subtly there.

I have ZERO affiliation with Kegland, I live in Brisbane so definitely aren't on the payroll. I've purchased from them and my experience has been nothing short of perfect, some of the best service I have received.

I agree underweight hops is an issue, personally for hops etc. I would go to my LHBS regardless however my point it is, it was brought up here (and probably directly) and they seem to have responded and also seem to be actively working resolve the problem and also to improve their services and products.

What I have seen is people who do have valid issues coming in all guns blazing, other jumping in for good measure and it's all super negative. Bottom line Kegland are providing good product, good prices and competition in the market.

People need to approach issues from a more positive angle instead of what I have seen here.

Back