Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be honest the BrewZilla 65L is really best used with the 15amp power socket so you can really get the most out of the brewery. It's difficult to do 50L boils with only 2400watts.

As you have suggested you can use the 500w and the 1000 watt or alternatively you can use the 2000 watt on it's own.

Another third option is that you can use this device:
https://www.kegland.com.au/4000w-power-station-240v-power-controller.html

Then you can plug the brewery into this. If you use the power station you can wind down the wattage to make it suitable for your 10amp wall socket. If you wanted to do this then you can buy this product so you can put the 15amp device into the 10amp wall socket https://www.bunnings.com.au/ampfibian-15a-to-10a-mini-d-i-y-power-adaptor_p7050104

Please bear in mind that this device will trip the breaker as soon as you go over 10amps.

So given how complicated and messy it is to run this unit on 10amp i would really highly recommend getting the 15amp GPO
Yeah I agree a bit messy, but running it on 10A is included in the product description. Guess I was a bit surprised that it didn't retain the 500 / 1900 combo from the smaller model, and add an 1100. No big deal, but I was hoping to be able to run a full 10A through it for single batches when brewing in the kitchen.

Yeah I agree a bit messy, but running it on 10A is included in the product description. Guess I was a bit surprised that it didn't retain the 500 / 1900 combo from the smaller model, and add an 1100. No big deal, but I was hoping to be able to run a full 10A through it for single batches when brewing in the kitchen.
Obviously not the safest option, but I know people who run 2500W off a 10A to get a single batch to boil; and drop down to 2000W to keep it boiling.

Not something I'd recommend, and not something to entertain at all if you weren't confident in your wiring and the load on the rest of the circuit!

These are coming along well. We have a few parts to this project.

1. The physical fridge body with heating, colour screen, circuit boards, various injection moulded parts etc. This is 80% completed at this stage.
2. The IOT Hub - This is the website that the fridges will connect to. This is 80% completed
3. The firmware on the processor in the device - This is 60% completed

It takes some time to design this stuff well so it can be upgraded down the track. Firstly so firmware updates work well but also so various other products can interface with the fermenting fridge later down the track. So we are also trying to forward thing several products to make after the fermenting fridge is completed but we don't really want to talk about this in too much detail just yet.
It would be great to see support for the iSpindel, Tilt Hydrometers incorporated into the design...

I've got one of these https://www.ikegger.com/products/professional-quality-portable-co2-regulator

Do you know if it will work with your 2.6L gas bottle?
Do I need any adaptors?

I just need something more portable but I cbf filling soda stream bottles...
(Do you fill soda stream bottles by any chance?)

To be quite frank these regulators are really not fantastic. It's hard to beat the quality, accuracy and value of the larger MK4 Regulator that we already have. This regulator is by far the best option. If you want a really good compact regulator we have another awesome design that should be finished in a couple months and work well with both sodastream and also work well with the smaller 16gram bulbs. I don't want to talk too much about his until we get closer to the release date but my gut feeling is that you should wait as these mini regulators really just don't work that well.

I am sorry but the only option to push this unit right up to the 10amp limit without tripping your amphibian would be using the power station and this is an extra $39.95

It would be great to see support for the iSpindel, Tilt Hydrometers incorporated into the design...

Thanks for that. This is something in discussion at the moment. I think the iSpindel is a great product and obviously great value. The Tilt is kinda expensive for what it is and we don't think it represents good value. We should have more information about integration options in a couple months time.

To be quite frank these regulators are really not fantastic. It's hard to beat the quality, accuracy and value of the larger MK4 Regulator that we already have. This regulator is by far the best option. If you want a really good compact regulator we have another awesome design that should be finished in a couple months and work well with both sodastream and also work well with the smaller 16gram bulbs. I don't want to talk too much about his until we get closer to the release date but my gut feeling is that you should wait as these mini regulators really just don't work that well.
What's wrong with the little regs?

I would only need it for things like camping, overnight trips, using the kegerator - so not proper full on use.

Thanks for that. This is something in discussion at the moment. I think the iSpindel is a great product and obviously great value. The Tilt is kinda expensive for what it is and we don't think it represents good value. We should have more information about integration options in a couple months time.
Terrific, i might just hold of making the BrewPi for now then as it sounds like the fridge can do what the BrewPi can do???... Definitely agree on the Tilt, a great product and ready to go out of the box but is overpriced and an extra module is required if you want to use it over WiFi as well...

$200 for a hydrometer! tell him he's dreamin, or $90 for a spindel kit, he's still asleep. I reckon if you guys could come up with something around the $60-$70 mark you'd be on a winner. Looking at the kit bits prices on aliexpress it's all available for about $40 retail so should be feasible for someone with your connections. Just make sure it talks to Android phones.

$200 for a hydrometer! tell him he's dreamin, or $90 for a spindel kit, he's still asleep. I reckon if you guys could come up with something around the $60-$70 mark you'd be on a winner. Looking at the kit bits prices on aliexpress it's all available for about $40 retail so should be feasible for someone with your connections. Just make sure it talks to Android phones.

A user on this forum, bee2gee can supply a kit or a completed ispindel for a very reasonable price. I've gotten 2 from him for well less than $90 each. His service is fantastic and the quality of his work is top notch

Terrific, i might just hold of making the BrewPi for now then as it sounds like the fridge can do what the BrewPi can do???... Definitely agree on the Tilt, a great product and ready to go out of the box but is overpriced and an extra module is required if you want to use it over WiFi as well...

The BrewPi is a good device as a brewery controller however if you want a really good Rasberry Pi board then you should consider this website:
https://brewgenuity.com
This is an Australian run business and they have a lot of experience in programming and you can do a lot more than just the BrewPi. This custom hat for the Pi is really quite impressive.

With that said if you are just looking for something for control, monitoring and logging back to the internet for a fermenter then I would wait as we have some cool options in the future.

A user on this forum, bee2gee can supply a kit or a completed ispindel for a very reasonable price. I've gotten 2 from him for well less than $90 each. His service is fantastic and the quality of his work is top notch
Actually he sells a kit for about $45 or complete unit with long range antenna for about $60.

Yes I would agree with you on this point.

Yes I think this is a really good option in the interim. If you can't be bothered making it yourself go to someone like bee2gee

Many thanks for the heads up, e-mail has been sent. Are there any issues with high grav beers, North of 1100?

The BrewPi is a good device as a brewery controller however if you want a really good Rasberry Pi board then you should consider this website:
https://brewgenuity.com
This is an Australian run business and they have a lot of experience in programming and you can do a lot more than just the BrewPi. This custom hat for the Pi is really quite impressive.

With that said if you are just looking for something for control, monitoring and logging back to the internet for a fermenter then I would wait as we have some cool options in the future.

I was thinking more of the BrewPi fermentation controller which allows you to control the temp of your fermentation fridge over WiFi/remotely (cold crash while your on holidays!!!) and also has support for the iSpindel and nice little graphs to track progress but i believe it also has mash control options also however i don't need this option as i have the Grainfather... Can you enlighten us a little more on what capabilities the new WiFi fridges will have, are they similar attributes to aforementioned BrewPi/BrewPiless? Thanks for the link.

What's wrong with the little regs?

I would only need it for things like camping, overnight trips, using the kegerator - so not proper full on use.

Firstly the ones from China that look like this in particular:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2785/6868/products/41843-mini-co2-regulator_x700.jpg?v=1525359222

These have no safety pressure relief at all which I don't particularly like. Also they are just not reliable and where it screws onto the ball lock disconnect they have a tendency to come undone. Especially when you undo the ball lock disconnect the whole brass insert on the inlet side has a tendency to unscrew.

Then the other issue is the 16gram bulb is an issue with screwing this in and for a split moment the pin that punctures the bulb has activated but the bulb has not screwed hard enough against the seal and even if you do it up really fast you always loose a considerable amount of gas. So out of the 16gram bulb you end up losing a proportion of this small gas supply.

If you can handle a little bit more weight I would recommend getting a sodasteam cylinder like this, and then getting the sodastream filing adaptor and then use this adaptor so you can attach the sodastream to your conventional regulator with this adaptor. This is the best small portable solution we have at this stage.

We have been considering a system that would work better with the 16gram bulbs but it's a little way off.

No problem. Very happy to recommend him. Can't help with the high gravity though. Never tried
All sorted and just a little bit excited at a new and very different toy coming, 15 min sample rate is going to be perfect for my Kveik experiments. Thanks again cheers G

Latest posts

Back