Kegging

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawky

Reaction score
Hi guys
I'm new to kegging I seen the guide to forced carbonation which was really helpful but I have a question. Do you chill the beer ready for carbonating straight after it has finished in the fermenter ?

What I do is chill the fermenter down to around 4 / 5 degrees (after fermentation is complete) as this helps to settle the yeast and results in a clearer beer. Then I transfer to the keg (whilst still cold) and then force carbonate if I'm in a bit of a hurry. If I'm not I set the regulator at serving pressure and then wait about a week.

Cheers

I dont have a fridge to put my fermenter in (yet) so usually transfer to the keg once fermentation is complete (after clearing in secondary first) and then pop the keg into my kegerator over night, then force carb the next day. Works out fine for me.

Ok guys thanks so you don't have to let it mature like when bottling

It will 'mature' at the same rate in the bottle and the keg, but will carb up a lot faster in the keg. Unless you're leaving it in the fermenter for a few weeks or you're doing an exotic wheat or bitter, you're best to leave it sit for 2 weeks at least for an ale (much longer for lager) if you've transferred soon after fermentation has finished.

If you take it out of the fridge after carbonating it will it affect the taste at all

Back