Kegging Water For Sodas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katzke

Reaction score
Hope this is the right place, as I see no better place to ask.

I have tried searching Google but have not found the answer. I am sure it is here someplace.

I am trying to keg up some water for a party so we can make sodas with the Italian syrups. I have a few questions.

First does anyone add any salts to the water?

Second I am not sure how to best set up hose length and pressure. I am using a picnic tap and when I have the pressure up to some of the recommendations I get to much flow and if I control the flow with the tap I get all bubbles. If I turn down the pressure I get bubbles in the hose. All the result so far have been flat soda.

Third how do you carb up the water and how long does it take? I need this done and working Sunday. I will be putting the keg in an ice bath at the party.

So I guess the question is what works for you?

I just use filtered tap water. Chill it in the keg, Gas it up same as a beer - Shake it up for a few minutes, leave it for a day or so and its ready.
Don't need to worry about line length etc. I just used a dodgy cobra tap on a short line - it doesn't have anything in it to cause a head issue when you pour.

i have soda on tap all the time, rain water,, put in fridge to chill then carb up .. I carb up to around 45psi .. 3 bar ..

so when its cold hook up the gas and shake/roll around for a few minutes , back in the fridge and bobs your fathers brother..

If you don't have fridge space too store you could probly add a bag or 2 of crushed ice to the keg with your water , (I have not tryed this) but can't see any probs...so long as it melts to make cold water...

and we just use cordial 4 or 5 diferent ones on top of fridge all the time , kids come over and love it ...

cheers

and we just use cordial 4 or 5 diferent ones on top of fridge all the time , kids come over and love it ...

You give them lollies too, don't you Ned...? ;)

:p

Crozdog posted this spreadsheet which may help
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&id=18011

When I've carbonated straight water for use with cordials, I've used about 200kPa (I usually do it in a PET bottle with the keg gas line adaptor). Basically you'll need a fair bit more beer line to prevent the foaming than you would with beer. 6m of 5mm ID should be about right, but I'd probably start at 10m (incase the CO2 comes out of solution in water more easily than beer)

Basically you'll need a fair bit more beer line to prevent the foaming than you would with beer. 6m of 5mm ID should be about right, but I'd probably start at 10m (incase the CO2 comes out of solution in water more easily than beer)

This may be corect , However I have less than 1m of line going to an old side basher tap ...

Cheers

People expect a very high level of carbonation in soda water. My customers arent that keen on 200 kPa. Cold keg, 300 kPa and shake for 10 mins or until its getting near equlibrium and the customers are much happier. Pour at 300 kPa as well, which means a flow restricter in the line is handy. We get through 2 kegs a month.

i add salts to my water for mineral water rather than soda water. getting the high carbonation is the issue as you dont want all your beers that carbed.

just think of it the same way you do beer. its carbed etc, will fizz over/have head for short period. so length should be about the same as you would a normal beer line. or have it shorter. it shouldnt matter.

carbing time should also be roughly the same as kegging beer. your can either force carb or let it carb normally.

I chill water in keg

Then hook up the gas via the beer out post - turn up to 300kpa and rock for about 2 mins

I read of people having issues trying to carb water via the gas in post - the CO2 needs to bubble through the liquid

Re dispensing I just normal beer lines but can see an issue with a picnic tap

I don't worry about adding salts - but Balgownie water is pretty tasty already

Cheers

i add salts to my water for mineral water rather than soda water. getting the high carbonation is the issue as you dont want all your beers that carbed.

Do you follow a recipe or just dump some in?

Do you serve at that presure?
Nah the keg is linked up to other kegs like this

I run the fridge at 6*C and serve at 90-100kpa with 3m of beer line

The water is always well carbed and the beers aren't over carbed or anything

I'd have thought that all the kegs would equalise but this hasn't been my expirience

Cheers

kegfridgeinside3x18lkegs3x9lkegsandmilesoftubingconnectorsarejohnguest.jpg

Nah the keg is linked up to other kegs like this

I run the fridge at 6*C and serve at 90-100kpa with 3m of beer line

The water is always well carbed and the beers aren't over carbed or anything

I'd have thought that all the kegs would equalise but this hasn't been my expirience

Cheers

Looks like some of the tubing you are using is the hard more like pipe type of tubing. Any disadvantages or advantages over the soft tubing?

And look at those pint sized kegs. Dont turn your back on any of your brew buddies. Those things are hard to get here.

OK so I am going to our brew club meeting and will be at the brew shop so just to make sure I have this correct.

I should set the keg to about 35 psi (241 KPa) or more and use enough hose to make my goofy picnic tap work? I used a beer line calculator and it said to get about 12 feet.

Will that give my nice bubbly soda for the kids to mix with syrup?

Thanks.

Oh and I looked at the Mineral Water thread and it gave me some ideas but did not really have a recipe.

sorry i thought it has a recipe. ill dig mine out when i get home.

Latest posts

Back